What are your thoughts on HF in general over the years?

Might I ask where you found these copyrights?

Allow me to show you:

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, NINJAGO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS and MIXELS are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group.
©2015 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.

As you can see, Hero Factory is no where to be seen.

or any other old lego line…

1 Like

That doesn’t mean that they don’t own the copyrights to it. It just means that they aren’t bothering to put it on their website because it’s retired…

2 Likes

Which means they’re also no copyrighted, but I could care less about them.

So…

You’re saying just because something isn’t running automatically isn’t copyrighted?

Then explain to me why some companies nowadays take down copyrighted works (like cartoons from a couple years ago that where discontinued) on youtube?

Or then why do publishing companies still retain their old copyrighted books that nobody reads anymore?

4 Likes

One does not simply “Un-Copyright” Something.

I’m not sure how it works in the case of toylines, but a piece of literature, once Copyrighted, is protected for 70 years after the original creator’s death.

3 Likes

I didn’t say ALL companies do it. Besides, by the time I’m old enough to publish anything (20 years from now) it’ll be LONG forgotten.

HF WASN’T literature. It was a toy line.

… aaand I just realized that I’m planning on making an entire book series about a toy line. Yeah, probably should think of something else…

So? Lego doesn’t want anyone brandishing off a better Hero Factory. I’m sure someone could make a good Hero Factory toy, and Lego doesn’t want anyone doing that.

When it comes down to business, it’s about the money and how to get people to buy it. Lego doesn’t want someone gaining profit over Hero factory.

If all you took out of that was my point about literature, you completely missed my point. I used literature as an example because it’s the medium I know the exact timeframe for and I’m not sure how long the Copyright on Hero Factory will last. but you can be sure it hasn’t expired yet. Just because a company doesn’t list all active copyright holdings does not mean they don’t still own them.

1 Like

It’s still not copyrighted.

And if the (insert a lot of things that if I said here would get me in a lot of trouble) had any brains, they wouldn’t’ve wasted so much of its potential.

it is though…

What we ask is evidence. One could look at such advertisement and say, “So what? Maybe they just forgot, or excluded it.”

Now, please, let’s not continue this arguement. We are getting a wee bit off topic by talking about copy-right issues.

Doesn’t mean the copyright will be around in 20 or so years.

So about copyright

When you copyright something, you buy the rights to use that name or phrase.

Throwing away a copyright would be like throwing away canned food in your pantry. Sure, it will go bad in a few years, but you might eat it before then…

5 Likes

Best analogy of it I have seen yet.

Or have ever seen, for that matter

Now, guys, please. We seriously gotta get back on topic.

6 Likes

Eventually that copyright will become null and Hero Factory will enter public domain, but you’re talking about how it’s “un-copyrighted” now, which is so bafflingly asinine I’m amazed you said it.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that the copyright will be around for a few more years, or…?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter, it’s not like I’m writing the things now.

Ok, so, just gonna say this straight. Once you copyright something, that copyright stays in place for a duration of time, generally a long duration of time. If you want to see how long look it up. But basically, you can’t legally just un-copyright something. That’s not how the law works. The copyright you bought ends when the duration ends. They’ve taken the name of the copyright off their website because they have no reason to advertise something they no longer make, but the copyright won’t end until legally the duration has expired.

2 Likes

Let’s use BIONICLE as an example of this shall we?

was discontinued for 5 years, then was rebooted.

3 Likes