What happened to the Turaga prior to Dume?

Hi Greg,

When Dume became Turaga of Metru Nui, whatever happened to the Turaga who preceded him? Did he or she die of natural causes? Retire?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Refresh my memory, please – has there been mention somewhere of the Turaga who preceded him?

1 Like

None that I recall. Since it’s unusual for MU inhabitants to grow too old to do their jobs, I made the inference that there might be a more interesting explanation.

There’s a mention in one of the books that during the Kanohi Dragon’s first attack “The Turaga at the time was ineffective”.

~W12~

2 Likes

Dume was the Turaga during the dragon incident. The former Turaga was ineffective at stopping the Matoran Civil War, which is mentioned in Mutran’s Journal. I believe that’s what you are referring to.

1 Like

There have been two attacks of the Kanohi Dragon, one loooooong ago, and one recent, which lead to the formation of the Toa Mangai. Willess said during the first, which at that time Dume was not around.

Okay, I sit corrected.

Unless there was a mention of the Kanohi Dragon attack too… coulda sworn the wording was different.

~W12~

BS01 says that the previous Turaga stepped down from his/her position.

At some point, a Turaga came to Metru Nui and led the Matoran for some length in time. When this Turaga left office around 15,000 years ago, Turaga Dume came into power.

Whatever happened to him/her after that remains unknown.

Good point. I forgot about the first one. Still, the only mention of the Turaga before Dume was in Mutran’s Journal, and it was in reference to the war, though it stands to reason that the same Turaga ruled during the first attack by the Kanohi Dragon, as it occurred around that time.

Intriguing wording.

I’m going to personally see it as a result of the Civil War; maybe Teridax fired or otherwise eliminated he or she as part of his post-war “peacekeeping”?

Why would Teridax wait 65,000 years to fire him? Dume was named Turaga of Metru Nui only 15,000 years ago.

Maybe the Turaga who ruled at that time wasn’t directly before Dume? Official story only references him/her as “the Turaga at the time.” There could’ve been others between them and Dume…

Maybe the Matoran went a while without a Turaga, or with some other form of government…