What if Nostalgia Critic Did The Bionicle Movies?

These are some of the YouTubers I watch on a regular basis:

Screen Junkies (at least, their Honest Trailers)
Cinemasins
SuperMarioLogan
How It Should Have Ended
Nostalgia Critic
Jeremy Jahns
Jangbricks
Eljay’s Recap/Recent/Retired/Remixed Reviews
Chris Stuckmann
MyLifeSuckers
Bart Baker
Just2Good
SuperCarlinBrothers

You can make of that what you will…

1 Like

I rest my case.

Screen Junkies (at least, their Honest Trailers)
Cinemasins
SuperMarioLogan
How It Should Have Ended
Nostalgia Critic
Jeremy Jahns
Jangbricks
Eljay’s Recap/Recent/Retired/Remixed Reviews
Chris Stuckmann
MyLifeSuckers
Bart Baker
Just2Good
SuperCarlinBrothers

This comment is so dense, it has so many things going on…

But seriously though, where is redlettermedia?

2 Likes

I don’t watch that, sorry. I mean, I’ve seen one or two videos, but…

Thanks for bringing up RLM. They’re probably the one of the only good film review channels that has been brought up on this topic, although quite a few of the names listed above don’t ring a bell. A Best of the Worst episode featuring Mike and Rich laughing at three+ Bionicle films is far more entertaining than Doug Walker nitpicking the movies and shoe horning skits for at least half an hour.

1 Like

The best comedic critic on youtube isn’t really on youtube…

And he’s reviewed a Bionicle movie.

Allow me to introduce SF Debris!

1 Like

The YouTube channels I previously listed as being ones I watch on a regular basis…not all of them are movie review channels. Obviously, Cinemasins has been discussed above, and this whole topic is centered around Nostalgia Critic. Screen Junkies’ Honest Trailers…I mean, they are kind of, sort of like reviews, though they’re more satirical. Not in the way Cinemasins tries to be, but more like…well, a trailer that was honest.

Jeremy Jahns is another movie review channel, though I don’t think he qualifies as a “film critic.” To me, he comes across more as a normal moviegoer who’s just sharing his opinions. Chris Stuckmann, you could argue that he’s more of a critic, since his demeanor is calmer and he uses the traditional A-F scale of grades. SuperCarlinBrothers is about movies as well, but it’s mostly about theories and commentaries, rather than actual reviews.

(As a side note, someone brought up Lindsay Ellis as a “good critic” earlier in the topic. Since this whole discussion went down a while back, I have gone and watched a few of Lindsay Ellis’ vids, and, yeah, they’re not half bad.)

Jangbricks, Just2Good, Eljay’s reviews from the TTV channel, Nick On Planet Ripple, and Just2Good are, obviously, ran by Lego fans. I’m a Lego fan, so of course I watch their channels for their set reviews and news updates.

I’m not that surprised that you haven’t heard of SuperMarioLogan, or Bart Baker, or MyLifeSuckers. Bart Baker has, sadly, lost the relevance he had five years ago, now that his YouTube channel has crashed and he’s stuck on Chinese TikTok (please don’t ask me to explain this). SuperMarioLogan…it’s a rather touchy subject. Even though I’m a big fan of their channel, some of their newer characters and a lot of the behind-the-scenes drama have caused a LOT of controversy in recent years, and it’s best not to open that can of worms on this topic. MyLifeSuckers is a different case from any of the other channels I listed, because I actually really detest this channel. Yeah, the woman who runs it seems like a nice person, and she and her family clearly have fun making the videos, but ugh. There’s just something about them that REALLY makes me cringe. You would think that a married woman with two kids would have better things to do than make…the videos that she makes. But for some reason, I can’t stop myself from watching that channel. I guess I just like seeing how bad it is.

But back on topic…

Like I said, I’m not a RLM fan, so I can’t say I know what you’re talking about. But…well, as far as NC is concerned, he does have a style that’s different from some of the other movie reviewing channels I’ve mentioned. I haven’t really addressed the whole skits criticism in this topic, but I actually semi-agree with it. With many of NC’s skits that bookend his reviews, it’s clear that he’s trying to satirize something about the movie, or its production, or whatever. Usually, his skits do their job of satirizing what they’re trying to satirize, but it’s been a while since one of them got an actual laugh out of me.

That said, whenever NC does a review of a movie that’s still in theaters, and uses his actors and intentionally bad green-screen effects…I don’t know. There’s just something about those skits that I find entertaining.

And with Bionicle…like I said earlier, Nostalgia Critic’s whole shtick is reviewing infamously bad animated movies (Foodfight, Granda Got Run Over By A Reindeer, The Emoji Movie, Norm Of The North), or movies that people seem to have forgotten about (Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief, the 2014 Robocop, Alita: Battle Angel, Thomas And The Magic Railroad). His slogan is “I remember it so you don’t have to,” after all. But of course, he also likes to just flat-out mock bad movies people DO remember, like Batman And Robin and the 1998 Godzilla.

Therefore, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bionicle movies did fall under his radar. But, Ghid did make the point that if NC saw how toxic the Bionicle fanbase, he might not want to risk drawing ire. And yeah, his point is legitimate. Within the Bionicle fandom, the movies are…polarizing. People either say they love the movies for the nostalgia, or hate them because they don’t handle the lore very well, or whatever. So NC might risk drawing ire if he praises or trashes a Bionicle movie.

That said, I wouldn’t be disappointed if he did do a review of one. Like I said, I’m a fan of NC, and unlike most Bionicle fans, I’m not gonna let someone else’s opinion hurt my own. So if NC were to do a review of a Bionicle movie…I’m sure I’d enjoy it. I’ve found out the hard way that people (or at least, people on the TTV message boards) hate NC, but I still have my own point of view.

Hm. I’ll have to check him out…

Side-note: Bionicle actually did make a cameo in one of NC’s essay videos:

(at 0:22)

This pretty much confirms that Bionicle has fallen under his radar. But I can only guess as to why he put Hydraxon of all characters in his video, or what prompted him to use Bionicle as an example of CGI being used in our commercials.

1 Like

I’m aware. I’ve watched a bit of Jeremy Jahns and he’s alright.

The skits aren’t fulfilling their purpose if they’re not funny.

I don’t think the green screen effects are intentionally bad. Otherwise Demo Reel and that one game show he did which cost over $90,000 would have had better effects.

I remember watching that video when it first came out and it was neat to see Hydraxon pop up. Based on what I remember, he didn’t go with the contrarian “CGI bad” take in the end. However, I prefer RocketJump’s video on the matter as they’re more knowledgeable about VFX and hit a similar message home https://youtu.be/bL6hp8BKB24

2 Likes

Mmm. Not a fan of SF Debris’ BIONICLE review, but I’ve complained to you about this before Jogn. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I phrased things a bit poorly in my response, but with NC’s skits, they’re meant to present a satirical view of what a movie feels like. For example, in his intro skit for Batman Forever, he presented himself coming back to his old home, only to find it (and his friends) completely different. This was meant to satire how Batman Forever is supposedly a sequel to the Tim Burton movies, but it feels very different from those movies.

NC’s skits, on the whole, do a good job of presenting a satirical view of a movie. While I don’t usually laugh out loud at them, sometimes I laugh inside.

1 Like

I would die inside.

3 Likes