"What is a Skull?" Bionicle G2 Character Anatomy Theories

Maybe if there were millions of them.

The game series? It’s over hyped to the point where a lot of people don’t like it, but it’s not bad by it’s self.

1 Like

So

Anyone ever thought of a Terminator-type endoskeleton?

1 Like

You stated my personal headcanon/what was implied by the G1 books almost exactly.

We know that skull basher and more then likley skull scorio dont have any masks but have faces, and we know skull slicers and skull grinder are similar to the toas species

With the Skull Warriors its generally implied they dont have masks and are like scorpio in that they cant wear masks, in the small comic on warriors box it shows him holding it instead of wearing it like the other villains.

In the animations they go out of there way to display grinder having a mask that is different from warriors, while warriors is more set accurate.

Its to bad we will probably never know since we dont have a Greg

Personally I think the masks were forged in the cast of animal skulls. The question is if they made the molds before or after dying.
If before, it is tribal customs.
If after, it was to scare protectors away.
/speculationend

If you don’t like robots, you’re in the wrong place

Hm… I have an idea of what skulls are in context of bionicle, but I’m not really sure how to go about explaining it.

I suppose masks are a good place to start. Obviously, the people of Okoto live in a culture that values masks like a signature piece of clothing, or even an identifying feature. The mask kind of signifies who or what you are.

Now, below masks are bare heads, which are presumably taboo or unhealthy to leave uncovered. It seems to me that there’s more evidence to support the latter; Toa fainting without their masks, Ekimu wearing the burial mask rather than just going bare until he gets his mask back, and(by contrast) the undead not seeming all that fazed by being mask-less.

And now we get to skulls. I’m going to state off the bat that bare heads and skulls are two different things, both anatomically and symbolically. Anatomically speaking, I dare say that the skull is the outer component of the head(And yes, they have exoskeletons on their heads!). You can kind of tell based on the features of the heads when compared to skull masks(which are more exaggerated depictions of the same thing).

That said, a bare head is kind of different from a skull symbolically, seeing as skulls sort of imply that the front of the head has been somehow separated from the rest of it(in other words, the individual is dead). That’s part of why I think the undead wear skull masks; not because those are their skulls, but rather to symbolize(or perhaps empower) their decay and undeath. I suppose there’s also a good chance that since Okotoans pass their masks down from generation to generation, they might exchange their living masks for skull masks upon death. In other words, it might just be okotoan custom to bury people with skull shaped masks.

That might also explain why some skeletons bear different masks; Basher was a particularly bestial individual and thus was given a mask normally buried with domesticated animals or arena beasts(for instance, Scorpios).

I’m not going to make any further claims because then we’d be getting into straight-up guessing. Stuff like what the skeletons were in life, where LoSS and the skull spiders came from, and the whole Skull Slicer’s mask being a Skull Spider thing are just unknowns, really. There’s really not enough evidence to go off of.

6 Likes

maskception

2 Likes

Well, real skulls also have exaggerated details of the face.

http://theinspirationgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/738a-art.jpg

This bit is interesting. But I wonder how come Ekimu was buried with Protector mask instead? Or maybe he’s just too honored for normal skull mask?

B…But I though Basher didn’t wear a mask because he just put MoE on without removing the old one. Did he just do a Maskception?

1 Like

Only the protectors pass down their masks, which is because they are imbued with elemental energy.

BIONICLES ARE NOT ROBOTS!!!

THEY’RE NOT!

NOT ROBOTS! ROBOTS! STOP! NO ROBOTS!

THEY’RE NOT ROBOTS

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

1 Like

Mata Nui is a robot, Maxilos is a robot, Marendar is a robot, Pohatu is a robot…

1 Like

robots with organic parts.

Depending on how you look at it, we are robots too.

6 Likes

Read how Bingzak describes his mask in Island of Lost Masks…

I suppose, but in Bionicle the skull masks are much larger and less consistent. A skull wouldn’t be larger than the face that it came from, nor would it look drastically different from person to person.

Perhaps they knew he was in a coma? Narmoto seemed pretty quick to determine that Ekimu was talking to Tahu. If he was just considered dead, I kind of doubt that the first explanation Narmoto would come up with is “Oh, it’s just Ekimu.”

I’m gonna assume that he did maskception. That skull mask is pretty small… (also, because the animators were too lazy or pressed for time to animate him taking off his mask.)

NO!

NONONONONONONONO!!!

GET AWAY, GET AWAY, GET AWAAAAY!

2 Likes

Skull mask might only be larger than the head because set-wise limitation. Maybe they didn’t want to make a new skull “head” to use for only one wave, so they made it a mask that compatible with the old head instead.

Skulls of different species do look different. Since we do not know what skull villains were, it’s impossible to confirm of they all supposed to be the same species or not.
But at least they look they same to other of their kind (all Skull Warriors and Skull Scorpio look the same), so it definitely not “drastically different from person to person”.
For all we know, all five skull villains could be from five different species thus different anatomies with some resemblances to each other.

Probably.

I doubt that. Actually, they didn’t need to add a scene to show him taking off the mask at all. They could just replace his skull mask with the unmasked head in the scene he’s wearing MoE, just easy as that, like when Skull Grinder’s putting on MoCr in the same episode, they didn’t show him taking off his mask either.

True, but if you look closely in the animation, he’s not wearing a mask when he lifts up the MoCr. So it’s implied that while Ekimu was talking he took his Skull mask off. Although, I don’t know about Basher, because he put the MoE on after knocking out Onua and without removing his mask…

That’s the point I’m making actually. In that episode, they could manage to show that Skull Grinder took off his mask without really showing he’s taking it off. So when Skull Basher put on MoE seemingly without removing his mask, they must have meant to show that Basher really wear MoE on top of his “bull mask”, not just some animation error.

1 Like

I meant they are closer to robots than humans since they once have organic parts. There s plenty of other fandoms for human-lovers

I thought the skull masks were fear tactics, meant to unsettle the foe by resembling something dead. Perhaps some ancient organic beings, perhaps the heads without masks decay after death.