What is the right blend of biological and mechanical?

So, as I’m sure that all of you know, the characters in Bionicle are bio-mechanical, which would mean that they would have both organic and robotic components to them. However, as an artist, I find it very difficult to convey both at the same time, so they either look very robotic, or very organic. So, my question is what is the right blend of these biological and mechanical components? And also, should certain characters be more organic/robotic, like Umarak the Destroyer or the Barraki?

5 Likes

I think I heard somewhere that most beings of the Matoran universe are maybe 80% mechanical, 20% organic. As for Bara Magna, its the other way around, 20% mechanical, 80% organic. Don’t have a source for this, but it is the most info that I can provide.

4 Likes

For most species I think it would be best to show them being completely robotic, at least on the outside seeing as beings like toa and matoran only really have organic out of sight internal organs with the rest being mechanical.

1 Like

All G2 characters are completely organic from what I know and one could draw then the same way one draws a knight in armor. Bara Magnans could work the same way (with some differences between Glatorian and Agori) and for Matoran, you could looks to the movies for ideas.

1 Like

Of course they can!

1 Like

I think the idea is that they have a metal exoskeleton with organic/organic-esque ‘organs’ beneath. Also, they have muscles, but they aren’t organic like ours.

I would go look at what @Scorpion_Strike has drawn; here’s a link:

2 Likes

I would personally say 70% mech, 30% bio, or something close to that. Maybe 40/60, but I think it’s important that the “robotic” nature be most prevalent.

1 Like

This is how I generally imagine them:
The inner bones are completely metallic, with organic tissues like muscles and organs on top of them. Then a metallic exo skeleton made of intricately connected shells as skin (which for some reason I imagine having an almost hard leather like feel when touched), with additional pistons and such in key points to increase strength/agility/endurance in the already existing joints with muscles.

However some specific parts like most Toa Mata arms and legs seem to be entirely mechanical, so this description might only work for certain characters (most notably from G2).

3 Likes

Whatever you wanted to be.

1 Like

@WhatCameNext @Majora @DannyBoyy @Toa_Vladin @ReeseEH @Brunamal @Altair @TeslaEffect
Thank you everyone! You all have been extremely helpful! I really appreciate you all helping me out.

2 Likes

I think they’d have robotic armor and metal skin, but underneath they’d have muscle and organs.

Basically how Vrahno portrays BIONICLE characters.

4 Likes

Who’s Vrahno?

An awesome BIONICLE animator. Just look him up on YouTube.

1 Like

@DannyBoyy So do you think that the G2 armour would have mechanicle details, like pistons?

Probably, but it would be more pronounced on the Uniters.

1 Like