What is this?

So, at the end of every rpg that I am in, this appear:

Why? What does this mean?

Every RP will close down after three months now, as part of the new rules from the reset. This is to reduce clutter and make it easier for players to join games that have already started.

And what next?

What do you mean?

The rp will be closed. What next? We will open it again?

Yeah, GMs will just create new topics to continue their games if they aren’t finished in that time.

Bummer.
OK, thanks!

Glad I could help.

1 Like

It’s going to be sort of annoying though, because every three months, there are just going to be of bunch of new RP topics.

1 Like

Exactly!

Why is this a rule again?

So true. This is the worst part of the whole update, imo.

To make the role-plays more accessible to newer players if I remember correctly

1 Like

I’m sure there would be an easier way to do that, but who am I to question the judgement of a mod?

Well, if you have something like Howling Dark or RWBY RP, which became thousands upon thousands of posts long, it kinda got difficult to read up, and follow along. I had to write barebones summaries that were pages long on Google docs to get someone up to speed after a certain point in Howling Dark. While it did initially seem weird, I totally understand this rule.

2 Likes

I’ll try and answer this the best I can. @Kini_Hawkeye will probably be able to give a better explanation though

The gist is that RP topics are each being limited to a 3-month lifespan due to how big some of them can become, like Into The Howling Dark, Cybertron Reborn, and Okotan Adventures, just to name a few. If someone wanted to join one of these RPs or was gone for a few days, they would have to read a large number of posts or get a pretty long synopsis from the game master (like squeaver mentioned) just to be caught up on the story

4 Likes

As of right now, all RPG game topics are set to close in 3 months, on October 4th. The reason for this is twofold- One, The RPGs board before was full of dead RPGs that no one had played in for years that were still open and cluttering the board, closing and unlisting these RPGs leaves them open for review through the Archive while keeping the RPGs list to (mostly) active RPGs for casual browsers.

Two, because as squeaver and Bio outlined, the RPGs with a few thousand posts are extremely difficult for new players to get into because there’s months or sometimes a years worth of posts and gameplay, none of which is usually outlined in the RPG topic’s first post. To get around asking every GM to periodically update their RPGs with information for new players to get caught up with (Which, I might add, should be getting done anyways if you’re a good GM) I’m forcing the issue by closing these topics every three months.

It also, in its own way, forces the GMs to move along the plot of their RPGs when they can no longer exist in perpetuity. Harsh, maybe, but again, we’re in new territory here.

Now, as outlined with everything else in the reset, these rules can all be revisited if the timelines are too quick or something is just plain not working. Let’s feel this out, I have no issues pumping that reset time up to six months or removing it completely if it doesn’t have the intended effect, but as it stands right now, it is what it is.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to make things easier for new players, I’m all ears. Because the only other suggestions that I’ve gotten have all been “Force the GM’s to do blank” and I’m trying my hardest to not force any GMs to do anything in their games. I’m not interested in telling you how to run your games, I’m interested in keeping things semi organized.

~Hawkeye

4 Likes

The timer is a little ominous in my opinion

Unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about the timer log, for now it’ll stay. If people are super sketched out by it i’ll remove it, I’ll be honest- I thought only I could see it and I figured it was better than reminding myself in three months to enforce my own rules.

2 Likes

Okay.