What is your favorite Rock/metal/Metallica/alternative/adult alternative/etc song or band?

So for the past year and a half, I have been on a rock/alternitive craze; jumping from The Fold, to Paramore, to Fall Out Boy, to Linkin Park, to AAR, etc. So now I’m wondering, What is your favorite song/ band from this genre and why. Feel free to post pics and songs so we can all see what their style is and what is your current rock craze. So lets rock out to songs where we can all headbang to. I look forward to hearing your craze. Currently my craze is the Album “Save Rock and Roll” by Fall Out Boy.

5 Likes

You, good sir, get the (totally useless) Marendex-T17 Longest Topic Title of the Month Award.

Use it well, use it wisely.

On-topic stuff follows.

To answer your question, probably Come to My Heaven, by Cryoshell.

10 Likes

Probably my favorite five “rock” styled bands are Cryoshell, (Duh) Depeche Mode, Rush, Garbage, and Poe. The last one has only come out with two albums, and the second one was back in 2000. Anyway, my interest seems to rotate between them on a regular basis; for example, last Autumn I was really into Garbage, but now I’ve shifted to Poe for a while.

I also like Yes, but they’re considerably lighter fare than you seem to be going for.

Right now nearly all I listen to is instrumental, so that influences what I prefer to listen to a great deal.

Used to be into Skillet, but I’ve gone out of that phase. Still listen to some instrumental versions of their songs occasionally.

As of January of last year really all I’ve listened to is instrumental stuff, mostly in the rock genre. Audiomachine-Deus Ex Machina, Skylar Cahn and Position Music have some really good stuff. I also take some liking to metal-inspired game soundtracks, like the Xenoblade Soundtrack.

I also listen to Celldweller a good bit. His music is a fusion of electronic music (not dubstep) and rock/metal, with some orchestral elements. Plus, he releases instrumental versions of all his songs.

Favorite songs by these artists? Skillet, “Monster” and “Circus for a Psycho”, Audiomachine, “Blitzkrieg”, Position Music, “Brand New Fist” and “As the Empire Falls”, Xenoblade Chronicles Soundtrack, “You Will Know Our Names”, Celldweller, “Birthright”, “Blackstar” and “End of an Empire.”

1 Like

I’m just going to interpret this as a “What’s your favorite band?” topic, since we already have one for favorite songs.

As far as alternative rock/pop punk/nu metal/that sort of thing goes, I used to be into it, and still listen to some on occasion. I listen to Fall Out Boy a fair amount, though I don’t like much of their post-hiatus work, personally. Folie à Deux is their best album, for my money. I also quite like Panic! at the Disco (mainly their Vices and Virtues album), MCR (only their second two albums: The Black Parade and Danger Days), Green Day (mainly American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown), Linkin Park (mainly A Thousand Suns), and AAR (mostly their latest two albums).

As for metal, I love Rush (I guess they aren’t always metal, but whatever), Nightwish, Dream Theater, Queen (they aren’t known for it, but some of their older work, such as Queen II, definitely qualifies as metal), Symphony X, and Blind Guardian, as well Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin. I won’t list albums since I usually like just about anything I hear from those groups. In general, I tend toward the more melodic metal subgenres; I don’t care for cacophony or death growls.

I just listened to Fragile and Close To the Edge the other day! In terms of prog rock, I also love King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Camel, and a ton of others. It’s my favorite rock subgenre.

1 Like

Don’t have one… I don’t have any favorite music idk why…

I don’t understand the title, so here’s some Mars Volta.

1 Like

Dream Theater and Pink Floyd are certainly good, too, though I haven’t listened to many of their songs. I should probably fix that, huh? I’ve also heard of Jethro Tull, but I’d thought they were more along the line of “death growls.” If not, though, I may have to give them a try as well!

1 Like

Lol, they’re a folk-prog band. No death growls, or even particularly distorted guitars, anywhere to be found. :smiley: Here’s their most famous song:

3 Likes

Huh, that was pretty good. I’ll definitely have to listen to more; thanks!

1 Like

I WISH I COULD LIKE THIS MORE THAN ONCE I LOVE THAT SONG
Anyway.

My girlfriend recently got me into Fall Out Boy. Enough that I bought an album off iTunes and forgot to ask her if she had it first. (She did. xD)

As for metal?

2 Likes

May I ask which? I’ve developed fairly strong opinions on each of their albums after listening to them dozens of times. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Since others have listed AAR, Panic, FoB, and Green Day already, I’ll go with Hedley. They’re a Canadian band where the music isn’t promoted much outside of Canada, so I doubt you’ve heard of them.

Train and Plain White T’s are also pretty good bands.

1 Like

Infinity on High. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Folie à Deux being a close second favorite.)

1 Like

Those two are my favorites of theirs as well! (Though in reverse order. :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Might as well add my dabbles in metal.

1 Like

Most of the “rock” I listen to is pretty light. The Goo Dolls have always been a favorite of mine, but I also listen to Switchfoot, Rise Against, and Three Days Grace every now and then. Les Friction is an “epic rock” group with some great songs. There’s also the old band Better than Ezra (bold claim to say they’re better than me) who have some pretty good songs as well.
Favorite songs? Probably “Black Balloon” by the Goo Goo Dolls and “Tradgedy + Time” by Rise Against.

2 Likes

What sorts of bands apply to this topic? Because rock, metal, and alternative can mean lots of things.

3 Likes

Les Friction is awesome! Their predecessor, E.S. Posthumous, is cool too, though not exactly a rock band.

1 Like

Smash Mouth is one of the ones i’ve listened to since I was a kid.

1 Like