What is your favorite Rock/metal/Metallica/alternative/adult alternative/etc song or band?

Ok I must be thinking of something else. They were revolutionary in some way tho.

My favorite rock band would probably be Blue Öyster Cult. My favorite alt. Rock band would be Cake.

Well, considering it’s been three years since I last posted.

My favorite band, depending on the day, is either Red or Demon Hunter. The former (newer albums especially) is about the right degree of intensity for me, heavy guitars and drums with melodic vocals and well-placed harsh vocals. The latter I pull on more as a guitarist, they have some very cool riffs and the melodic vocals, while usually limited to the chorus of each song, are also really good.

Honorable mentions include Celldweller and Blue Stahli (neither if which qualify as a band per se), Radiohead, Disciple, Royal Blood, and (a very new addition) Invocation Array.

I FREAKING LOVE Celldweller. Have you heard his new collab with Muzzy? It’s called “New Age”

I haven’t really kept up with Celldweller since FiXT started releasing all the remix albums. I’m not a big fan of remixes.

We have a thread on Celldweller actually, if you want to look it over.

1 Like

I’ll have to agree with Hawkflight on this one - covers and remixes rarely have their own identity that lives up to the original track.

1 Like

I like covers, occasionally remixes.

The thread does say alternative, so I’m sorry but TøP

What bands do you like?

I’m into late 70’s & 80’s pop and rock.
Especially AC/DC, Def Leppard, Guns’n’roses.

Outkast and The Cranberries aren’t bad either, but those are more 90’s-00’s music.

Meshuggah is my favorite band no question

In no order: Uada, Immortal, lamb of god, Jimi Hendrix, here come the mummies, bad religion, hatebreed, 1349, GWAR, slayer, Babymetal, buckethead

Not that kind of music guy, but I like the bands LEGO uses in it’s lines, like Cryoshell, The Fold and so on.

Mutemath, as cities burn, and crash rickshaw are my favorites rn. All pretty different

I’ve found something extremely interesting. Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins plays guitar almost exactly like I do. The hand motions, the vibrato, it’s uncanny.

Def Leppard, AC/DC, Flipsyde, Guns’n’roses, The Police, Dire Straights, Linkin Park, Cold Chisel, Aussie Crawl, Men At Work, Blondie, Talking Heads, Sid Vicious, Prodigy, Sex Pistols, as well as many other artists and bands I like.

I’ve got a playlist of like Zepplin, Def Leppard, etc. but I also listen to white stripes and stuff.

necropost but i’ve been on a really big iron maiden kick these past few months

5 Likes

That’s a title and a half

Bada bing Bada boom I resurrect this topic from its doom.

And cue ghid.

I quite enjoy ac/dc’s back in black but then again who doesn’t.

I have been a big Rush fan for years, and I got to see them live in 2015. Neil dying at the start of this year was one of the first (of many) bad news bits for me this year. Its hard to explain how amazing the band was love unless you had seen them in person, Geddy’s vocals weren’t great in those last years but their instrumentation was well; like clockwork. All those crazy songs they played they could replicate perfectly like a well oiled machine hitting every drum beat, every bass line and every guitar solo. Their song styles have variety for me too, I like how they have a Led Zepplin style in the early 1970’s leading into their own unique style as the 1980’s approached when they suddenly joined the synth rock scene, before going to a modern metal sound for their 90’s-10’s revival period. Their final album “Clockwork Angels” was once voted the best rock album of the 2010’s and its easy to see why:

As for other music, I listen to a few heavy metal bands but not a lot; with most of my tastes falling towards a softer metal and prog like rock sound (i.e. like Queen) or more towards the alternative scene. Alternative music is surprisingly a broad catch all term for almost any post-Nirvana rock and has everything from folksy stuff to blues revival. A few of my favorites…

I fell in love with Red Hot Chili Peppers as a kid because Disney used their cover of Higher Ground for Space Mountain in 2007 and the band has stuck out to me ever since. They have a long catalog (some of it, not well really appropriate for a forum like this :stuck_out_tongue: ) but they have a nice blend of funk influence and modern rock. Plus if being a Rush fan gave me anything, I am a sucker for any band with a punchy bass and well Flea is constantly a solid competitor for one of the best bassists ever.

Another band I have long been into, especially this year with their sixth album release is The Killers. Their sound has certainly gone softer over the years with Hot Fuss being probably their only album with a lot of grit to it, but I would say The Killer’s constant evolution of trying to marry the Depeche Mode influence with the Bruce Springsteen one is a fascinating attempt marry to disparate rock genre styles. Its clear the band respects a lot of the “classic rock” bands and constantly seems to have music that touches on sounds laid out by The Cars or Fleetwood Mac, but giving it a modern 21st century taste. Obviously their lead single from this year Caution is on my mind a lot lately, especially for featuring the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham on that final exit solo.

Another band I have enjoyed a lot since the end of my senior year of high school is The Black Keys. Their garage band style is very blues heavy, and feels very much like a “lo-fi” continuation of what The Beatles, The Who, or Led Zeppelin would have been making on their respective early albums. Very guitar focused which is always a jam to listen too.

There are a lot of other bands I can dive into from my vinyl and CD collection, but those are all the ones that jump to my mind right now. When it comes to the heavier bands I do have a lot of respect for genre classics like Black Sabbath (I have their Paranoid album in my car) and Metallica, but I have not been able to get into any modern metal. I personally am not a fan of the “nu-metal” of the early 2000’s that dominated the scene when I was a child.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I mean I could narrow it down to favourite album.
Well, favourite band…
Well, favourite Metal sub-genre…

Okay, my favourite songs this year have been:

Coheed and Cambria. They’re one of the best current rock bands, have tons of variety with their sound, and are my favorite band of all time. For albums, I recommend Good Apollo: Volume I. You might recognize the opening riff of the first single from the trailer of the movie 9, which is how I discovered them. And, if you like dense sci-fi storylines, all but one of their albums are connected by one called the Amory Wars which has its own comic book. Their latest album is the first in a 5-part story, so now’s the perfect time to get into them.

1 Like

im sorry but i resurrected it :triumph:

3 Likes