What is your favorite Year of LEGO?

The LEGO company has been producing fantastic products for decades now. From the classic Lego minifigures since 1978, to the innovative and unique bionicle sets, LEGO has brought entertainment to many children, AFOLs, and those in between. But which year brought the most enjoyment to you personally and why? Take a look at your years of collecting LEGO and comment below.

Personally 2007 is my favorite. Not only is it the year I first began collecting LEGO, but the themes and sets of these themes overall were solid.

Please comment below stating which year of LEGO is YOUR favorite and why. I’m very curious to see them.

4 Likes

Which year is my favorite? Only one? That’s certainly a tough one, but 2007 has my heart. Kind of like you timoth, it was the first year I started to really collect Lego sets. Sure, I was given a set here and there, I really liked the three direct-to-home-video movies that had come, and I loved playing all the games on Lego.com. But 2007 was the year that had some of the best themes, sets, and website games.

It was also when I started to really get into the stories of the Lego themes. Spent countless hours researching every Lego product line that had come and gone, learning all of the story, the history and significance of the sets and new pieces in them, etc.

I do find it funny that my favorite year of Bionicle had an underwater theming to it, as my favorite System line also comes from this year, Aqua Raiders. Yeah, the story and characters are bare bones, the sets haven’t aged all too well, but it’s still my favorite System theme. Though it wasn’t the only remarkable System theme at the time, 2007 Castle is my favorite year/line of the Castle series, with Knights Kingdoms II not far behind. Mars Mission, my brother’s favorite theme and one I also hold in high regard came out that year. Exo-Force was around, all in all, it’s the year I have the most nostalgia for and to me Lego has failed to really capture that same feeling since.

Sure, there have been a couple of good short lived themes that liked about as much as those in 2007, like Power Miners and Heroica. For me, Ultra Agents has been the only theme to really have captured that same spirit I felt in 2007. That theme had the same magic that Alpha Team did, which Agents failed to replicate.

3 Likes

any of the 80’s

1 Like

2006-2007 because those were the last years before 3L black pins went extinct and 2L black axles went on the endangered pieces list :disappointed:

3 Likes

2007 is my favorite for many of the previously list reasons.

1 Like

Oh…wow that is hard.

I will have to go with 2012. Ninjago and HF were both great then, and I got plenty of sets.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, each year, most of the sets get better and better. And there’s so much system, that it’s hard to decide. I guess, Bionicle-wise, though, I’d say the G2 Years. Especially 2016.

1 Like

I don’t exactly have a single favorite year.

2005 was the first year I truly started to get into LEGO, so I’m more or less attached to it for the nostalgia it gives me. The sets from '05 (by today’s standards) are less than mediocre, but I remember my four-year-old mind thinking they were the greatest things ever. I would call 2014-2016 some of LEGO’s best years ever. Sure, BIONICLE was more than a bust, but the sets. Oh the sets! They’re more detailed than ever and have cooler designs, giving fans both young and old at least one set that they could love. Modern TLG hasn’t just improved their kits, though. In just this short span, we’ve seen the release of The LEGO Movie, a resurgence in more story-based themes (they aren’t great stories, but at least they provide more than '08-'10), and a wider variety of useful pieces. This most recent period in LEGO’s history has been a great one and I’m hoping it will just get better.

2 Likes

I’d like to say '04, '07 and certain aspects of 2015 for BIONICLE, but as a whole I found myself gathering a good deal of sets from other themes in 2012. I absolutely loved the whole Rise of the Snakes line Ninjago released that year, offering some pretty interesting designs. Hero Factory had reached its peak here IMO, delivering heroes and villains with some inventive and visually appealing designs.

1 Like

I really loved 07, 15, and 16

(purely set wise)

1 Like

The 2003 Creator (Designer Sets in particular) and Bionicle sets are some of the most charming sets I’ve ever seen, so I’ll go with 03. I also greatly enjoyed 2014 and 2015 for the many innovations and useful pieces introduced.

1 Like

Bionicle-wise, '07 was the most creative, but I have a certain fondness for '04

Why don’t you do a poll?

2 Likes

Mostly because I don’t know how, but I don’t think that would give people the ability to state why the year they picked is their favorite.

1 Like

06 because the edge was real that year.

And there was a dragon.

2 Likes

2007, a bunch of great sets, that I will always remember (Star Wars, and Bionicle).

2002, the year Galidor came out.

2 Likes

2004, cause Toa Metru
2015, cause Toa Masters

Dunno, 2011 spawned my favorite theme…and 2013…?..gave me my sig-fig.

So, somewhere between those.

1 Like

I never knew you liked the Cars 2 line!

1 Like

Raptor please :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like