What made Bionicle special for you?

Well, it was the main thing I got into when I was six, and I stuck with it.

That’s pretty much it.

Well, as a child I never liked the typical power ranger action figures and superhero ones. I remember looking for something new at the store because I’d gotten money for my birthday despite being quite young at that point. I headed down the lego isle and saw a Bionicle set. It was different, and I don’t think I’d seen Bionicle sets prior to that day. (I’d owned mostly system up to that point) So, an intrigued me took home the set and built it. From there my collection grew, I could make fights between the sets (because what kid doesn’t do that. I’m not the only one right? XP) Eventually I ended up getting the comics when the Mahrii came out (most of said comics have been lost over time) and again, young me was captivated. Over time I began making my own creations, looking up lore, and watching the movies. Titan sets where awesome to me and the thing I’d look forward to most about a new wave pf sets. Honestly, what made it special? It was so unique at that time, and an added ongoing story meant there was more to come back too inbetween waves. Thing is, said story wasn’t that bad either.

3 Likes

Bionicle is special to me because it got me into Lego. It had a complex story with interesting, memorable characters that you could connect to and sympathize with, and also left enough room for me to make my own stories and characters. The sets were amazing and the combo models encouraged me to take them apart and make MOCs. Bionicle also has one of the best communities that I’ve ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

1 Like

I’m very late, but I think what makes bionicle special for me is the emersiveness. Not only did they make a storyline that is as detailed, if not more so than Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, but you can create a character, build a 3D model with your parts, and make a backstory to a much greater extent than anything I have seen. I don’t know many franchises where you can have an action figure for a character YOU have made.

For me it was the massive amount of depth the world had to offer. It even influenced how I write my own stuff. Granted I suck at it.

Because of Bionicle I’m have more of a imagination for storytelling and characters. I do like the Bionicle sets of both g1 and g2 :slight_smile:

The immersion, the community, and the utter bliss and joy of hearing about G2.

G2 felt like all our MOCs, stopmotions, and writing was worth it.

Until it ended 1 and a half years in.