What Makes Hero Factory So Lame?

Every year they “built up to something”. They just never followed through. It wasn’t because the line was cancelled.

4 Likes

I think what everyone likes about BIONICLE was the actual world building and some pretty interesting characters, not so much the entire plot. Characters like Zaktan and Vakama still have a lasting impression on me for characters, and how Makuta managed to succeed with his evil plan was also pretty great.

2 Likes

While I wouldn’t say the characters were super developed, they were certainly unique and memorable on many occasions. You’re right about the worldbuilding too. It was probably my favourite part of 04-08.

HF had an awesome concept, but the world they actually gave us to play around in was so-so IMO. Though people like JANGBRiCKS did some pretty awesome stuff by making their own HF concepts.

3 Likes

Hero factory had no real plot, no history, no lore, no Context. We eventually learned, in Bionicle, that all the characters in the Matoran universe were basically nanotechnology, who developed sentience, with 100,000 years of History in the robot (not to mention the history of Spherus Magna), that all interlocked. That was a big part of Bionicle, but Hero Factory was just a bunch of Robots on a planet who captured villains, with a series of vaguely connected stories.
It was so it wouldn’t be confusing, I got that, but it’s like Lego didn’t even try. Not even one bit. It didn’t even have to be complicated! But no origin or anything was given. That’s why I feel Hero factory was a let-down, for me anyways.

1 Like

They remind me of vahki , and those are some of my least favorite , and in my opinion the least interesting sets in bionicle, still got the hero factory sets tho , in my world , they are matoran adaptive armour :smiley:

ahem

They provided the origins of the Hero cores, step by step process in how the heroes were built, the inner workings of the Hero Factory facility itself and the creator Makuhero, they even had a mysterious “Hero recon team” going on, which was a cool concept, just never extended/expanded to its full potential.

Most of the main villains had decent backstories, the online game expanded the story (despite being somewhat non-canon) like MNOG did, and if you read the books, those reached Bionicle level of complexity, being written by Greg Farshtey.

In short, saying that Lego didn’t try is simply a blatantly wrong statement to make.

4 Likes

Okay, so it was wrong to say they didn’t try whatsoever. You got me there. But those things you mentioned… Weren’t ever really relevant, not to mention were more unspecific than they actually sound. We know how Kanohi are made, but we never needed to know the exact details. Plus I was more referring to how a Robot (Mr.Makuro) built a city and a factory evidently all by himself. Maybe he had an army of robots? Where did he come from? How is he sentient? Why did he make disturbing robot children? Why does he have bionicle feet? Too many unanswered questions.

1 Like

Did we really need to know exactly what two Kanoka discs were needed to forge every single Kanohi mask? Just sayin’…

4 Likes

Read Secret Mission 2: Legion of Darkness.

It explains this and more.

1 Like

The problem I had with Hero factory was that they took the phrase “Heroes are made, not born” and then completely twisted it to mean exactly what the phrase was saying Heroes weren’t.

3 Likes

Well I myself have never heard of that book until now, plus nowhere can I find how Makuro actually built the factory and city. The books seemed good, but they had no real connection to the story and did not detail the very beginning of Hero factory. It just kind of… existed. Since forever. I’m not saying there was nothing, but there wasn’t anything …good. The story (as a whole) is disjointed, gappy, and never gives much background to characters besides the main nine.

1 Like

…except for the books. The do a lot of the fleshing out, just like with BIONICLE.

1 Like

Yeah. Everywhere I go people say they are the best HF media sources out there.

1 Like

Just like the BIONICLE books are the best BIONICLE media sources out there. See where I’m going with this?

1 Like

Well I didn’t know you were going anywhere…

2 Likes

My point is, you can’t criticize HF for just having story in the books when the oh-so-venerated-BIONICLE is in almost the exact same situation.

1 Like

Yeah, but outside of books and comics, that’s where Hero factory’s expanded story ends. BIONICLE had an entire WEBSITE designated to the story of BIONICLE.

You can’t say HF had that.

3 Likes

but bonkle had solek and solek sux

But HF had spotlight-stealing Rocka and split-personality Evo… :wink:

2 Likes

nuu rocka iz kool cuz hes gold and evo iz kool cuz liek hes kool idk but solek is stoopid and sux

3 Likes