What would you do for G3?

3 Likes

Not only are you jumping the gun, you are just out of here.

Anyway, I would listen more to the community then lego does now. (With the story)

Hey, letā€™s sink the current ship before we go shooting at another one.

Using the same joke as before?

8 Likes

Zaktan was a Piraka, a thief and murderer, until Makuta cursed him to be forever split into tiny protodites. Makuta then summoned an army of Skrall to destroy the city of Metru Nui, letting Makuta defeat Mata Nui and take over the universe. Now Zaktan must find the five other of his kind, all cursed by Makuta, and defeat Makuta to free Mata Nui, who is the only one who can undo the curse.

2 Likes

Simple enough for me.

There would be no G3 =D

It would just be G2 til the end.

Scratch that, G1 til the end.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

At this stage Bionicle would have effectively being cancelled twice, so i suspect theyā€™d make the line more technic based and do a more adult based theme. Only 6 sets per wave, however these 6 sets would be heavily detailed. It would include popular figures from G1 and G2 and be like a much more impressive collectors version of the Bionicle Stars.

4 Likes

I would probably do a G1.5 in a way.take what good concepts from g1 worked and what from g2 worked and make a new story following a general guideline for the first few years of bionicle .here what i would do
a TV show focusing with takua as the main character in a sense and he and the chroniclers company still being present.
bring back the protectors as kaitiaki and flesh out the idea of them combining with the toa
keep the turaga and please we need mildly sarcastic vakama mildly hinting at his previous toa-ness by him being the back in my day kinda old dude
by the time of the bohrok saga canonize vorikii as the screwupcomic relief who is pretty much annoying kid brother and have him be protector sized and revamp his mask to look more like a rounded pakari with lightning spikes and less like a roadkill gucko bird.
mix the g1 and g2 designs and have the g1 mask serve as the regular mask and the g2 mask serve as the toa version
bring back mask packs lego minifig bindbag style
establish bad guy characters early on that are fleshed out villains
establish other elements early on like nuju and matoro were able to learn birdspeak by there sonics toa heritage being able to hear the subtle noise differences in the tweets and chirps .
use system in builds more to appeal to the brick fans and advertise it as a feature .
give them unique face pieces that could have switched out mouth pieces and eyes .make them look kinda mechanicaly like a transformers face
keep ekimu and have him established as some lowly mask maker in ta koro and boom plottwist av turaga former toa of light and later gets upgraded into a protector to serve as takanuvaā€™s protector
establish makuta as having more reason besides feeling jipped by the MU inhabitants and when he is defeated the first time he splits into a pure dark makuta and a light makua cause no more interdimensional shenanigans buti still like light makuta.
may continue this post

ideas for characters
Kaitiaki
Narmoto-One of the oldest protectors and younger brother to izototor and grandfather/mentor to Jalla.getting old and really wanting to quit this job but is waiting till jalla is ready to take it.
very kind old man and much more happy demeanor but knows when to get serious .pretty much is the children of the villages grandpa in the way they treat him.

Korgot.the only Female member of the earth tribe and is sadly mistaken for a male frequently due to her heavy armor and bulky stature .one of the younger members of the protectors and took the job after her fatherā€™s retirement due to a mining incident causing him to lose his left leg and the replacement wasnā€™t up to snuff in terms of him being a capable fighter and to much surprise to his tribe elected his daughter .she has a roudy personality and is the "cool big sis"of the team

Kivoda. One of the few male members of the water tribe and due to his lithe stature he is frequently mistaken for a female(konguā€™s asked him out accidently like 5 times now and hes starting to question with it was an accident)he is not much of a fighter and prefers to bluff his opponents with his shoulder mounter elemental cannons and harpoons .means well and trys to help when possible .got the job cause quote"Our previous protector got lost at sea and for some reason nokama was crazy enough ot put me in charge of her role .why she would is anyoneā€™s guessto gali when she asked how he got the jobhe is close friends with korgot(note may be a romantic subplot there who knows)

vizuna. the most jovial and lighthearted of the group and is twins with nilkuu .learned archery from his father the former protector of stone

nilkuu. Somewhat more level headed then Vizuna learned his staff skills from his mother a Bo-matoran gaurd turned protector.

Izotor-oldest of the protectors and there De-facto leader .while he seems cold and calculated on the outside but considering his pick for next protector (due to him never having children)is the kind and jovial kopeke,one has to wonder what runs through his head

Ekimu/takmo-under the cover name of takmo ,ekimu the protector of light hid among the ta matoran waiting for the day the matoran of light who would succeed him as toa of light would arrive.he covered as a clumsy matoran who was an idiot savant when it came to mask making .

1 Like

i think this is getting to rambly/fanfictiony for this thread sorry for bothering

Ill just copy stuff from the rescent 233 podcast video I commented on:

Maybe instead of having one Island, you had 7 or 8 islands with each distinct tribe on each of the islands (arhipelago concept). And having the travel part of it all be an integral part of the storyā€¦if we still stick to the Maori influence for the line (aka make it like Hawaii for you Americans). Have the mythical characters be the ones who created the islands (7 elemental lords), and the guardians of each island (most likely Rahi guardians, the kings of each islands wildlife nad protectors of the elemental lords creations, Kapu like guardians like in Pokemon) are specific to the islands main element (Island of Ice, Island of Water, Island fireā€¦). Each islands inhabitants have a distinct culture due to isolation (despite sharing a unified origins cause of the sailing migration). The islanders are outsiders from far away lands (that can be expanded later in the series after the 3 years of spending around the Oceania region, even expanding on the nature of the elemental lords).

The masks hold small chucks of each of the creators powers, they culture behind mask creation and use dates back farther in history (their pre migration history). Each Island has a Kahuna/ Toa (again like in Pokemon) that protects their island and are the leaders of the main leaders of the islands. The sages of each island would be the
Kaumatua / Turaga (village main healers, scolars, crazy ladiesā€¦you name it). The main characters would not necesseraly be just the Kahuna, it would be a mix of Kahuna, Kaumatua, and Matoran back to back. The main tribal name for the people can be the kewi, Matoran can be their old pre oceania names that they discover during hte corse of the first 3 years. Every villager is a matoran or Kewi (which means the Toa and Turaga are also part of them, and can be chosen from them). They are the same race, but with each island creating distinct cultural aspects that differenciate each other.

They live on their islands normally for many centuries, until the arrival of an invading empire for the far away lands. Its leaders (specifically 7) would seek the riches of each islands for their world domination, since each of the islands holds unique powers not seen anywhere in the world (the rest of the world works on its own distinct set of magics, tech, and magitech). Its the task of each Kahuna, Kaumatua, and Kewi to protect their homes, while unifying each island nation in a scale never seen in their lifetimes. After the 3 year story arc the defeat the invading force only to realise that this was just a small scouting party of a much larger threat, and that they find out that there are other nations fighting against it, the then become part of a much larger rebelion ā€¦This will ultimatelly lead to their rediscovery of their lost history, lineage, origins of the elemental lords, origins of the masks, their homes, and the larger workings of their entire world.

This is something that I would like to see in a rebooted Bionicle, some fresh take on classic elements within the core aspects of the lines themeā€¦instead of sticking way to closely on old elements of the line (aka playing it safe).

1 Like

so, after reading what Greg had planned for bionicle before it was cancelled, I would continue G1, AND LET GREG TELL THE STORY!

2 Likes

Turn Bionicle into a movie franchise, and only release sets to go with the movie. I mean, itā€™s not like there isnā€™t another franchise whose sole purpose for existing is to sell toys (Iā€™m lookinā€™ at you Star Wars.)

2 Likes

I present a few ideas!

Umarak the Hunter

When Matoran awakened on the island, it was a peaceful place. However, this peace would not last, as Umarak began his pursuit of Matoran. The Hunter was not alone, as Loualou, pack of fierce hounds, birds of prey, and sharks accompanied him on his hunt.Many Matoran already fell to Umarak and his pack, and were dragged into darkness. However, the Great Hunt is about to end, as six heroes called Toa arrive to the islandā€¦

Deep underground, Makuta plots.He is patient, and knows that Matoran cannot evade the Hunter forever. But if Toa were to stop Umarak, he would have to resort to deploying things even darker to retrieve those Matoran who escaped the fall of the Great Cityā€¦

Broken Unity

Once, all six tribes of Matoran dwelt togother in the Great City. Then, the Great City fell for unknown reasons. Now separate, each tribe living in their Wahi, Matoran grew distant from each others, often blaming other tribes for fall of the City. As generations passed, knowledge of past and contact between tribes were lost, as Matoran began to fear other tribes, thinking them savages and monsters.

Now that thousand years since Fall have passed, six Toa arrived to island, lacking their memories. If the feuding tribes got ahold of their elemental powers, their struggle could turn more dangerous than everā€¦

ā€¦just as Makuta wants it. After all, without Unity, neither Matoran nor Toa can hope to stop him.

G3 is an exo force reboot

This is more of a ā€œhow I wouldā€™ve done Gen 1ā€™s canonā€ statement, but Iā€™d make it so that one of the worlds Mata Nui observed in his voyage was one of the worlds we saw in Hero Factory (maybe either Toxic Reapaā€™s or Jawbladeā€™s home planet).

As a serious answer to the question about how I would do G3, though, I would release a bunch of part packs similar to a constraction equivalent of what LEGO does with the Classic line of products. Iā€™d also like to include the transmedia-ness of Gen 1, striving to recapture the immersion and wealth of additional world building and story that was given to us in the likes of MNOG and the serials, but Iā€™d also want to appeal to newer fans at the same time (maybe Iā€™d release an app with an immersive story and world building for the older fans, and make a TV show (that, while being palatable for younger fans, still didnā€™t water the story down) to draw in new ones (maybe I could even use the TV show to advertise to new fans the storytelling formats aimed at the older ones, as well! :point_up:))
As far as the story itself, Iā€™d still want for there to be mysteries and secrets (especially at least one as pivotal as the end of 2,008 was for Gen 1), but Iā€™d have to come up with one other than the Mata Nui Robot (we donā€™t want the whole storyā€™s plot to be figured-out from the get-go, after all).

That, and Iā€™d probably make the Matoran culture (and maybe those of at least some of the other species as well) have more references to South Pacific language and style (just not in a way theyā€™d want to sue me for).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve said this before on this site, but only in passing.

Call me defeatist, but I donā€™t think there should be a G3, because nothing will ever satisfy the fans, and no matter what the entire line would be embroiled in controversy.

The only thing I think would please everyone would be if LEGO rereleased some of the old sets - maybe something like the Mata, Metru, and Inika with their accompanying villains, plus some of the other major sets (Teridax, Vezon and Fenrakk, Brutaka, Axonn, etc)

I disagree. If G3 was to come out, it should be targeted not only at old fans, but also attempt to gain new following. Gaining new following is crucial, as old fans alone will likely not hold line. Satisfying everyone of G1 fanbase is not needed for having sucessful and good G3, and therefore its impossibility is irrelevant.

What LEGO should do if they reboot BIONICLE again is not only to please old fans with return of BIONICLE, but also to introduce new people to it.

Also, I find the claim that nothing will ever satisfy fans rather dubious. G2 sets are regarded by many people as good, so pleasing fans in that regard should not be difficult. Also, G2 story is not disliked because it is different, it is disliked because horrible presentation (seriously, who approved LOSS, the Toa bios and Gali having male voice), lack of fleshing-out, and being cut in middle.

Another reason why I think the claim is dubious is that the fanbase actualy likes good BIONICLE fanfiction. If fans can be pleased by other fans, why they couldnā€™t be pleased by a competent story team?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think it should have an entire line/theme - just a limited edition rerelease of the old sets.

And yet here we are. Good sets donā€™t make a line, otherwise G2 wouldnā€™t have failed as bad as it did.

There are too many ifs and buts. If they can find a good story team, if they can make good sets without just copying G2, if they can gain new fans. Do you really want to see techno Bionicle like whatā€™s happened to Ninjago?

No G3 is better than poorly designed G3. And at this point I just donā€™t think LEGO is dedicated enough for that not to happen.

1 Like

I think they can find a good story team. Fans of the theme have demonstrated that BIONICLE storytelling can be done by people other than the original team. Best example of this is Nova Orbis, which is:

• Good
  • Well regarded
  • Sufficently long to be a BIONICLE storyline
  • Mysterious, with the mysteries being of good quality
  • Driven by a good core mystery
  • Fitting to BIONICLE yet not copy of any existing story year

And it was made by single person, not an actual team.

(Edit: from my description it may seem that I consider Nova Orbis as lesser of the two. This is certainly not case. Nova Orbis is certainly also very good.)

If one prefers a true reboot, there is BIONICLE Eternal, which though sadly only one year long (at least currently), has excellent storyline with great twists, and suscessfuly creates a new iteration of BIONICLE, both distinct and BIONICLE-y.

You do not have to only find new people to fill the story team. At least some members of G1 team could be retrieved. Faber certainly seems receptive to tell a BIONICLE storyline

G2 clearly gained some fans, as it lasted two years. And it was defective in many areas. Story of G2 was not unsalvageable, a tallented person at Custom BIONICLE Wiki managed to make interesting take on G2. The execution is important.

Through story of G2 was not excellent, it was made much worse by the horrible presentation.

• The tone of the Toa bios was silly and unfitting.

(Edit: G1 did flaws in Toa far better. You can have flawed heroes, and you can certainly have lighter tone than say, 2006, but official BIONICLE should be able to be taken seriously.)

• Animations were short and low quality.

(Edit: When compared to Templar Studio animations, 2015 animations were much less good looking. Also, voice acting worked to detriment of 2015 animations, because the single voice actor was apparently unable to change his voice.)

• Game, while okay as a game, was far inferior to MNOLG.

(Edit: MNOLG served as excelent way to immerse oneself into world of BIONICLE. It was one of most important tools of comunication of the early story, along with later animations, as BIONICLE novels started first in 2003.
It is understandable that the G2 game is not as good, however, the G2 game fails utterly at immersing oneself in the world, expanding it, and properly communicating story)

• There was lack of proper names, with somewhat stupid titles instead. Translations of the titles were horrible.

These mistakes can be rectified, and will be if LEGO ever does another BIONICLE generation. If LEGO does a G3, they will try to not repeat failure of G2. I think it is safe to say that G3 will be better than G2 in presentation and likely in story.

I am of opinion that CCBS+Technic is versatile enough to not just copy G2. You can have different secondary pieces. You can have different builds. You can have different colours. You can try different types of characters and creatures.You can have different aesthetic. HF proves this.

A good storyline can be told in one year. One example is beforementioned BIONICLE Eternal. Other is the original plan for G1. G1 was originaly meant to be only year long. 2001 was so good and G1 story engine so firm that doing so would still made for a good story, if much shorter and less grand one to what we got. And we would have at least three years of G3, thrice of that.

I do not understand the remark about Ninjago.

LEGO is not stupid. If somehow G3 was to happen, it would be better than G2. G2 was failure, and thus we will not get poorly designed G3. If we agree with that, then, to me, the answer is clear. It is better to have new quality sets and story, than just having re-release of old sets. Also, there is the problem of why would Lego renew old parts just for limited release.

(Edit: Real question is not if G3 would be good, but if it would be sucessful. I am not sure if CCBS is currently considered as viable.)

3 Likes