What Year did You Become a Fan?

I got my first Bionicle sets in 2007, those being Jaller and Nuparu Mahri, but I knew bassicly nothing about the lore until post-ignition trilogy, and I only became well-versed sometime around 2013.

I’m curious to hear your story. I’d imagine that’s pretty rare especially seeing Bionicle isn’t produced anymore.

Wall of text incoming: Getting back into Bionicle was kind of a fluke. I’m one of the people who dearly wants to be an indie game dev. One work I want to do is a metroidvania (though I prefer to call it “Weapon-Oriented Exploration”)

First version was supernatural, then medieval, finally settled on sci-fi to pay homage to where that genre began. Needed some kind of prior franchise to use as a springboard, so I went down the list almost like how Stan Lee went through a list of names before settling on Spider-Man (flies, bees, spiders). Bionicle popped up in my head, I stuck with that, and began looking up information.

Lo and behold, I discovered that G2 had come and gone and I never heard a whisper about it. Then I stumbled upon one of the G3 podcasts, and now here I am.

I still intend to make that game though. Very much reminiscent of Bionicle, but hopefully very much its own thing.

Next step? Thinking about shopping on BrickLink for MOCing.

As for the reason why I even know about it, my brother got some of the 2001 Toa for Christmas, back in the day. He’s 8 years older than me. I’ve kinda inherited them.

5 Likes

The farthest back I can remember wanting a set was 06 but I didn’t get my first set until 08. I picked upon the lore during 08 too.

I got my first sets around 2009 (Raanu and Kiina), but really got into the story after it ended.

Christmas 2001. When I got toa pohatu as my present.

1 Like

Between 07/08, got Hahli Mahri at Walmart.

1. Instantly. Period.
2 Likes

I’ve been a bionicle fan for as long as I can remember, so probably around the year [REDACTED]

2 Likes

I was a fan since 01, but I left off at the end of 07.

Returned to the fandom briefly for the Skrall in 09 and made a full return in '15.

Maniac4Bricks (Joey)