Whatiri: Toa of Thunder (Self MOC)

After much time, I’ve finally gotten the pictures to make a topic for my self moc. So, without further a-do, here he is.

Front view:

Side view:

Back view:

Other side view:

The large custom hands allow for various hand gestures, such as:

Thumbs up

High-five/waving

Pointing

And fists.

Here’s a quick size comparison with some of my other figures.

Here’s my cat sniffing Whatiri while I was trying to set up the size comparison.

WEAPONS:

There are a few weapons I’ve made for him. First is this.

The Electro-dagger.

This small blade is made for slashing and stabbing. It can fire small, low-power electrical blasts.

The Thunder-Staff

This is an upgraded version of the Electro-dagger. Or at least what he gets after it. With this weapon, Whatiri is able to fire high-power electrical blasts, and summon great thunder storms.

The Omni-Blade

This isn’t for Whatiri specifically, but he’s the only one of my mocs that can actually hold it. I made this by taking all the weapon pieces I could find, and a handful of technic connectors, and trying to stick them all together. I think it came out pretty well. Though there is one problem.

The weapon is so big and heavy, none of my other mocs can hold it. Even then, I have to use both hands with Whatiri.

I also made a matoran version of him.

Here he is compared with my other matoran,

and here he is compared to his big toa self.

(The reason he’s wearing a different mask is because I only have the one rode, so until I get a new one, he wears this placeholder mask)

A few other extra things

I noticed he looks pretty good wearing a pakari.

Either one.

Here he is with his pet fikou spider.

STORY:
Whatiri became a toa not long before the Great Spirit Robot was reactivated. He wasn’t able to do much while Teridax ruled the universe, or while the two robots were fighting. Now he lives on Spherus Magna, living a life of peace and prosperity like everyone else. The only problem is that he feels useless with nothing to do. No great evil looms over everyone like before. No threat to face. No immense imminent danger. Its frustrating to live the life of a toa, a young toa at that, when the world has little to no need for toa.

I also made this little short comic that goes a bit into this.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Please tell me what you think. I’ve spent a lot of time working and revising this moc, and I’m eager to hear what you all have to say.

EDIT:

One image I forgot to include. It shows off how Whatiri is capable of holding himself up on his fingers.

22 Likes

I must say: for a first moc, this is awesome (even tho it might not be the first one, but the first one I see from you)! However, his proportion suffer of what I call The Axon Syndrome. His hands are too big and his torso is too small. He also seems that he lacks the neck, making him hunchbacked. This makes me to thing that he is an old Toa, not a young one, as you said in your backstory section.
Also, I love the comic.

1 Like

The big hands are intentional. I like how they look. The small torso is understandable but I don’t think it’s that much of a problem. He does have a neck, due to how I attached the head, but it looks really bad when I extend it. (Think Onua 2015)

Also, the first moc I posted here was Onua Suva.

3 Likes

It looks kinda basic.

1 Like

How so?

1 Like

When @MaxinePrimal says he’ll do something, he means it.

Honestly this MOC is pretty good. He does seem to be overly bulky in some areas, like the forearms, and I don’t understand the hordika necks and Metrutoran legs on the hands. However, he is pretty consistent, and the staff and dagger designs are good. Solid MOC.

2 Likes

Thanks. The reason I added the parts on the hands is because I feel they look to plain without the detail.

1 Like

It doesn’t really do anything that unique in it’s build.

1 Like

I can understand that.

1 Like

Is this Axonn’s long lost brother

Also, I’d recommend switching out the Kanohi Rode for a Pakari, or just any black mask. The silver in the torso and the mask looks strange. You could either switch out the mask for a black one or add more silver to the arms.

2 Likes

I think adding some more silver accents on the limbs would be a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

No problem. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This moc is really good. The torso is a bit small though.

2 Likes

Thanks. I recognize the issue of the torso being small, though I’m not quite sure how I’d fix it.

1 Like