What's your MOCing method?

I have a new step by step method

1. I get a clump of lego bricks and just place it in a pile

2. I lie down on the parts, not thinking about the pain

3. Once the parts are stuck to me, and I have became a minifigure, I can start to understand the culture of lego building in the lego universe

4. I use my force powers that master builders have and make 500 mocs to post on the boards

5. profit

I also tend to use another method when I run out of bricks to stick to myself

1. get a pile of lego, smaller

2. slam your head against the piles, until you can feel the burn and/or get a concussion

3. go to the hospital

4. Return and realise implanted into your mind is a single piece of lego, you can now make mocs out of thin air

Or just use any of the other step by step guides here

6 Likes

You forgot “move through steps very, VERY slowly”

2 Likes

I usually start by figuring out what color scheme I want to use. Unfortunatley, my color schemes typically involve pieces I don’t have nearly enough of, so I supplement it with black and dark grey. I then seperate out the pieces of that color, and grab the sandwich bag where I store all my pins and axles.

Sometimes I start with a limb, other times with the body. Usually it involves grabbing the pieces I’ve seperated out and seeing what’ll fit together. If the MOC is to have some sort of transformation or alternate mode (which is really only five so far; four Slizers revamps and a long-since scrapped Vahki) then I try to take that into account when building it, though my success has… varied.

Usually once I’ve got the “complete” body, I’ll continue to work on and refine it over the next several days at least (some have been having this happen over the course of years, and I have a three-year-old one that I’m still refining!) and will oftentimes juggle pieces among my MOCs to get the right ones for the new installment without sacrificing the aesthetic or structural integrity of the others. This has also met with varying levels of success.

Someday I hope to collect enough pieces that I won’t have to do this, but since I almost never take apart my MOCs, my main collection has been in a perpetual state of piece-drought since 2012. (I also have a seperate collection at a family member’s house that remains mostly untapped, but I’m barely there enough to use it, and almost never have enough room in my luggage to transfer it back to join up with the main collection. This was where Lazadahki came from, though, thus her more coherent build.)

1 Like

You know, I’ve been inspired to make a video about how to make a MOC :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

For some MoCs, I know exactly what I want to do, and I just go and build it. This is the minority.

For most other MoCs that I can’t figure out: I think about what the element and mask power should be, and get a rough idea of their personality. The I sometimes browse through the web to see if anyone has built anything similar, then do a mashup of some of their ideas and my own. Or I go and listen to music tracks that I have assigned to each element (this is why I always identify the element and personality first). Then I sit and imagine Bionicle in my head, and inspiration will strike…for about 2 seconds. Then I quickly go and build a rough MoC of the character and listen to the song again, but now I imagine the MoC that I just built… Inspiration will strike once more, and I will go and build the final (or almost-final) version of the MoC.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do. Quite the coincidence too.

2 Likes

I am with you…I also tend to have a idea in mind with the shaping and armor layout.

I punch things and then they get built.

7 Likes

I put things together…
I usually have a rough out line in my head though

1. Inspiration from TV/video game/movie/internet/whatever

2. Grab pieces and try to recreate inspirational character

3. Spend hours trying to decide on a functioning custom build by throwing technic parts together and taking them apart, breaking some pieces in the process.

4. Once the torso is at least satisfactory, move on to legs, arms, then finally, head.

5. Go to sleep, then wake up.

6. Realize that the Moc is terribad and rip it apart again. Repeat steps 3 - 6

2 Likes

I turn on a TTV podcast (cause those thing are waayyy longer than they should be) and then start putting pieces together until they make sense.

Then I wait until the next day and revise/ fix what is wrong with the MOC because then I have a clear mind.

I repeat this process a couple times until I’m satisfied with what I have. :smile:

1. Take out parts bins, boxes, tubs and bags so everything is there, ready to be used should I need it
  2. Experiment by putting random pieces together until I have something that vaguely resembles a torso, leg, etc.
  3. The idea for the MOC then develops out of whatever I’ve built
  4. Other experiments follow to make the rest of the MOC
  5. Put them all together and see if it’s bad or not
  6. Refine until I’m happy with the final product
3 Likes
  1. make cool legs
  2. make cool arms to fit
  3. pick mask and weapons
  4. … What’s a body?

Or, alternatively

1. get really cool idea
  2. build body
  3. … What are limbs?
3 Likes

1: find lego parts
2: eat lego parts
3: wait a couple hours
4: reobtain lego parts
5: throw lego parts at a wall
6: punch them
7: ur moc will look gr8
8: ???
9: profit

3 Likes

You’re off by a few hours…

2 Likes

I did steps 3-6 on RaptorTalons torso…the first few…were a RAIL.

Unlike my first method for MOCs, I use a completely different system for generic females.

1. Find Rahkshi head
  2. Find random, long pieces to use as hair
  3. Construct skinny limbs
  4. Construct hourglass-shaped skinny torso
  5. Weird feet
  6. The most important step, Nuvaboobs
6 Likes

The Pink Fluffy Bionicle’s Guide to MOCing and Life!
Release Date: Sometime in 2017 (maybe)
Chapter 1: MOCing

Skims through pages
HERE WE GO!

Step 1: Make a mess with previous MOCs, Technic parts, and CCBS.
Step 2: Get some of an idea, get the parts for that idea.
Step 3: Build idea.
Step 4: Make rest of MOC; modify product from Step 3.
Step 5: Mess around with product of Step 4 until satisfied.

That’s how I do it, anyway.

@Rando …no…just…no…NO!!

1 Like

Joke = Over Raptor’s head

3 Likes