Why do you like Bionicle?

That was me when I was younger lol.

2 Likes

When I was a kid:
How I got into Bionicle: Got sets gifted to me for birthdays, etc. when I was younger.
Stayed because I liked a lot of the sets looked. The style and sets were fun. Since my brother also enjoyed it, we could play together which increased the fun.

Teen:
I stayed because of the sets, as I had previously been buying hero factory sets. The 2015 sets blew me away and I got involved in a larger community. When Bionicle died in 2016, I became more interested in the story, as it was the only thing I could steadily hold on to and still explore, as I had all the (G2) sets at this point in time. Fan projects, like okoto origins (by Metru Nui Legacy) and G3 (by TTV).

To conclude, I mostly love Bionicle due to its sets and the sets will always help peek my interest in Bionicle. Without sets, I resort to fan projects or story.

Honestly, Bionicle has been one of the most predominant aspects of my life since grade one, when I was five years old. One of my best friends, who at the time lived across the street from me, got me into the theme when he gave me Balta in a goodie bag at his birthday party. That was, well, eleven years ago. Ever since 2006, Bionicle has been far and away my top hobby and obsession, and to this day, just as I graduate high-school, I still pursue it with the same single-minded focus I once did.
Nearly everything about Bionicle is perfect to me, the atmosphere, the overarching plot, the unique world and characters, the absolutely strange pitch of Elemental-controlling-Bio-Mechanical-Creatures-on-a-Tropical-island, the comics, the books; everything (except the movies, those were always disappointing). Top that off with Bionicle being basically the single source of nostalgia in my life? The most extreme Nostalgia one can even conceive? Days of playing on the beach with Piruk; flying Lesovikk and Toa Ignika through my garden with a lifelong friend; building custom Mocs with their own backstories and worlds; Listening to linkin Park AMVs on ‘Biotube’; Finally getting Mata Nui for christmas; crying when the line ended; hours, hours scouring BS01; All those terrible stop-motions; my life would simply not be the same without Bionicle. Bionicle wasn’t just an obsession for me- it’s my life. And of course, lots of people will laugh at this admission- but I don’t care. Nothing, nothing anyone would ever say to me could ever hope of taking away the limitless joy and happiness the theme has brought my life.

1 Like

Me too.

The main reason why I like Bionicle is the fact that everyone was so close to nature and the elements. When our heroes were on Mata Nui, being a Toa of an element, for example water, didn’t simply mean that they had the power to control water, it was a decision of life: you were that element and that element was you. This wasn’t true just for Toa, but for the Matoran and Turaga too. The predominance of such a stunning and overwhelming environment around every artificial creation by the Matoran gave a real sense of mystery, but also a strange feeling of joy to me. As the Toa arrived on the island, they knew just as much as we did about that place (so basically nothing), and discovering the secrets of this world, only to discover that you have a sensation that there’s more than meets the eye, especially after those eerie journeys underground, sparked a lot of interest. The original nature of the Makuta, with its strange cryptic dialogs, and Mata Nui, at that time just a “stone in a temple”, created a mystical aura around the island, and the legend itself was so simple yet so shrouded in darkness, and seemed so “far away” and at the same time so tangible.

It’s a bit sad that as the years went on, this original feel was lost, but I enjoyed those later years too, for different reasons. At that point there was already so much that had been discovered, and the world had expanded so much, that it wasn’t simply possible to retain that mystery that the island of Mata Nui had. The same atmosphere though came a bit back with 2009 and G2, which is why I generally tend to like those years more than most fans do.

When it comes to the sets, I would be lying if I told you that they were secondary to the atmosphere (after all, I did collect every single Bionicle set ever), but I always felt like they looked more like a supplement to the overall environment more than anything to me (even though it’s totally the opposite).

Lastly, I like when things get explained logically, but at the same time there’s a lot of room left for imagination and for our own picture, as a Lego theme is after all supposed to spark creativity as its primary mission which is why I find most of the questions in the Ask Greg category to be stupidly pointless . Unfortunately this got totally lost in G1 after a while, but I’m grateful that G2 avoided it, giving us outstanding and inspiring art work instead, to flash out Okoto ourselves.

2 Likes

Bionicle improved my creativity!

The story, and the depth of the characters.
I got into Bionicle in 2009.
Take Gresh–very Toa like.
Skrall–very easy to view them as villains.
But Strakk, and Malum? They’re neither. They’re this middle ground, one angry, one greedy, both better than the Skrall, both worse than Gresh.
And then there’s the Vorox, a true neutral by Aristotle’s standards. Motivated completely by its drives, an animal.
Granted, 2009 was the only year like this, but still, each character is very fleshed out. Lesovikk, Akhmou, Tuyet, and Vakama are all excellent examples of characters that are deeper than their caste within the Bionicle Universe would make them appear. There are plenty more examples, of couse, but those are just a few.
In addition, the characters could also develop beyond their original origins. Take Takanuva, and his darker turn in 2008.
So yeah. That’s why.

3 Likes

The reason I like Bionicle is that it has an interesting story and great sets. However, I have no bionicle g1 sets.

1 Like

An innate desire to sculpt things and create physical character figures…also robots are very easy to make cool looking.

3 Likes

When I was young, it was because I liked the look of the sets. I kept going with that. When I was older, I discovered the whole of the story behind those sets. I was amazed. By that point, G1 was cancelled so I kept reading about the story. I stuck with bionicle because of the massive lore.

IDK, it’s cool, I guess

I was originally drawn to the sets, then When I got into 4th grade I would Play MNOG 2 for hours at a time, and now I just really like building stuff.

Because I like being disappointed.

4 Likes

The sets, story, settings, athstetic, custimizabilty, lore, and its characters.

When I got into bionicle, I had gotten some sets from my cousins, and some McDonald’s happy meal toys, then, I got my first set. I think it was mata Nui. After this, I started getting the toys and movies. Then after Bionicle’s cancellation. I got into hero factory. I made crossover Mocs. After learning about bionicle’s grand story and lore, I got hooked into the series. My knowledge about bionicle has grown over time as well as my love for the franchise!

No wonder I cried at the announcement of g2’s cancellation.

Also I feel as if I should be saying when I upload a bionicle set review on YouTube, but I think that I remember that the community guidelines don’t allow it yet.

1 Like

Me too, mate… Me too.

1 Like

Great story, great sets. Another cool thing about bionicle is that you can make your own creations. I loved that as a kid, and I would often buy duplicate sets so that I could make mocs. These were what you could only describe as “behemoths of pure imagination”. I read the comics and played the online games. I became attached to these plastic figures because of their unique personalities and abilities. Overall, bionicle is more than just a toy line for me. It is a piece of my childhood.

As a kid, I liked it because there were cool elemental robot dudes with weird names. Now I like the great story, lore, and characters. Oh, and the ability to make new characters from the pieces. Okay, I liked doing that as a kid too, but the things I made can basically be summed up with ”Agoris smashed together with no colour scheme or logic”

1 Like

I love BIONICLE because of the characters and story, same reason I love basically any fandom :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: