Why is Lewa a girl?

Fair enough, I just don’t understand what the fuss is about. Maybe I’m just too disconnected from the project or not bothered as much by their choice.

1 Like

I definitely think that’s fair, if you’re going to go into this with the idea that this is replacing Bionicle for the modern audience, then it’s perfectly understandable to feel like this Lewa is replacing the old Lewa.

Once again, we’re approaching this as though its actually happening, so the strong feelings against it are justified, especially if you truly like Lewa as is.

My goal is not to convince you to like these changes, my goal is to simply explain our reasoning behind the decision and hope that you can at least see where we’re coming from. With this in mind, I’ve welcomed your input and critique in hopes that having a conversation would further explain why we feel this change is important and good. However I think we may be running counter to that goal with the constant back and forth, and I think everything that needs to be said has been said.

If at this stage, you still don’t like these changes, nothing that I could say would possibly convince you otherwise. And that’s okay. You should always stand your ground and defend what you like and what you believe in.

I would hope that this perceived blemish on our creative vision would not sour the entire project, but if it does then I apologize.

6 Likes

I was getting ready to say the same thing. And as I said once before, as far as your story goes, I’m perfectly fine with Shewa. I only sought to address why I thought the change wasn’t a good idea, and at that, we may have to agree to disagree.

~W12~

1 Like

Thank you.

It seems people don’t get this enough when gender-bending characters.

7 Likes

I see that this discussion is starting to wrap up, but I’ll throw this in for the heck of it. The way I’ve been viewing it is like if a female put on the costume of Batman. She is in no way Bruce, but she is taking on what he stands for.

I would imagine a female Batman would be even more controversial than this topic, but to me, it’s not a bad thing. She dons the cape and belt, and likely shares many of his traits in order to think like him and maintain his legacy. But she’s not a rebooted Batman as much as a passing of the torch.

Vizuna becoming the new Lewa is the same. The cast treating this as a reboot is accurate, but since the original G3 Toa are meant to be the Mata, then Vizuna is more of a sequal to the old Lewa, instead of a complete reboot of his character.

I guess I don’t really have an issue with this sort of thing, since I’m a big Power Rangers fan and each season makes changes like this. Or the changes from the Sentai (Japanese footage) to the American. (The first yellow ranger, Trini was a dude in the Sentai, and only Sentai purists cared.)

4 Likes

Well, if I remember right…

Some of you guys should be happy!

6 Likes

Yay, digging up opinions I had years ago, opinions I forgot I had

Though It does make me like this Lewa even more.

7 Likes

What is even happening
Also, Nuparu (and I’m thinking of Mahri Nuparu, not Matoran) has a very distinct “tough guy” character with all of the stuff regarding the Cordak blasters. Plus, his entire design is very strong and honestly wouldn’t fit a female.

3 Likes

Myself, I have no qualms with female Lewa in the community’s take on G3, in fact I think it helps level out the team dynamic a little. Think of the original power rangers where they had six rangers, with 4 guys and two girls.
It’s hardly the first time a reboot/remake has changed a characters gender. Take Hawaii 5-O for example. Kono in the original 1970’s show was a heavy set Hawaiian dude, in the reboot, Kono is a Korean woman.

1 Like

Because Fanfics replace established canon? What logic is this?

1 Like

what he means, is that G1/G2 lewa doesn’t exist in this new universe

5 Likes

Ah, I see.

2 Likes

I think everyone in this whole ‘inventiveness is for boys’ debate has forgotten that ou didn’t say ‘inventiveness has to be a boy’ he said Nuparu, a fleshed out character with more than one character trait, has to be a guy. Maybe before you go around accusing him of misogyny, you should actually look up Nuparu and see what else he’s made of, since you clearly haven’t paid much attention to him up till now.

2 Likes

Actually, he did essentially say the first thing, because he directly stated that Nuparu’s personality is dependent upon his gender, meaning that his character traits are dependent upon his gender, and thus meaning that characteristics like inventiveness are related to masculinity. Now, I don’t think he MEANT to say this, but that is how the writing of his post went.

Also, how does having multiple character traits force one into a certain gender, especially since we’ve already established that various character traits can exist in both genders? If there is a certain character trait that exists in Nuparu that absolutely, 100% necessitates him being a male, then fine, he stays a male. And, just to satisfy your belief that people haven’t “paid much attention to him,” here are the traits BS01 lists him as having:

“Nuparu is a master engineer, and feels at ease when surrounded by machinery he can tinker with, continuing this passion even as a Toa. He also has a great passion for learning, and saw being a Toa as an opportunity to explore new places and study new things and creatures. While this fascination could sometimes distract him from the task at hand, Nuparu’s resourcefulness saved his friends many times over.”

Now, which of these traits is necessarily masculine? Mastery at engineering? No. Passion for learning? No. Desire to explore new places and study new things and creatures? No. Sometimes getting distracted by your interests and hobbies? No. Resourcefulness? No.

I’m not saying that Nuparu MUST be gender-swapped in G3–none of us are, I think. What I AM saying is that trying to determine gender based upon character traits does not work, because there are very few traits that are definable as masculine or feminine, and even those that are do not show up all that often in BIONICLE characters.

11 Likes

none of this matters because none of this is actually real lol

12 Likes

This is completely real, and will affect our lives, Var says so in every episode.

5 Likes

Yeah! Haven’t you heard the rumours of the Constraction sets in 2018? They’re the sets for this theme!

Var has said as much several times.

~W12~

3 Likes

Exactly. 100% official and sanctioned by LEGO.

hashtagbionicle2018hypetrainconfirmed

12 Likes

idk guys i’ve never watched the g3 podcasts what even is a bionicle it sounds more like some kinda protein packet or something

11 Likes

VAR! YOU’RE MY HERO!!!

1 Like