Why is Lewa a girl?

How can anyone say how a character has affected the story, when the story hasn’t even been written yet? What exactly has been made “over complicated” by this change?

My thoughts exactly (I was a bit too busy being “smart”.)

1 Like

Whether it’s interesting or not is fairly subjective, so sure, if that’s how you feel I won’t challenge it.

There was a point to it, which I’ve given. You seem to not prioritize the gender ratio as important and instead would have preferred to see a completely new personality. With that in mind, I certainly understand how the decision is not only pointless, but goes against the direction you would have taken it. However, I think this new gentleman persona you wish to adapt is even more disingenuous to Lewa as a character then changing his gender is. So regardless of whether or not you agree with the decision, this statement is simply untrue.

I fail to see how the gender of the character has added any complexity to the story. The “continuation of the mantle” plot exist regardless of Lewa’s gender.

For the record, I argued for new characters. If I were the sole developer of this then it would have been. My understanding of this is from someone who was not in favor of it, so my answer to this question is probably missing key components. However, realistically speaking it was more likely that LEGO would have reused the names that are already established and trademarked then to make completely new characters. The goal here was to develop this as if we were working for LEGO, so we set up certain restrictions that we felt were more likely.

I’m not personally familiar with Nova Orbis other than seeing some artwork and a general knowledge of Nickon, so I can’t speak for whether or not its better/more faithful/more realistic, etc.

I think this statement is a pipe dream. There’s no way to develop something that will appeal to everyone.

You lost me here buddy. Like, its a funny joke but it’s not like we have any control over that, lol.

That’s fine. I appreciate the honest criticism and the ability to express your opinions maturely. I wish everyone was capable of doing that, but unfortunately that’s not the case.

8 Likes

Simple: crap doesn’t really count as a curse.

Honestly, irked by the idea that this warrants so much discussion: the Toa’s (in reference to any Toa at the moment) gender wasn’t really a key component of the Toa’s personality to begin with (MOST is the key word), and the idea that it complicates the plot is absurd in so many ways it’s outrageous. From my ‘observations’, relying on a character’s gender is a massive crutch in writing or storytelling and creates immensely weak characters; if a character has flaws and strengths, as well as a discernible personality, they’re pretty much set.
That said,

[quote=“UltimateMustacheX, post:44, topic:41785, full:true”]
How can anyone say how a character has affected the story, when the story hasn’t even been written yet?[/quote]
doesn’t really defend anything about the quality of the show. Sure, TTV’s written one or two episodes, but the outline’s already out there. Dialogue and character progression hasn’t been set up, so I guess you’re correct to some extent, but that doesn’t make this argument any better.

4 Likes

@DarkHenrik, (’'This is a dictatorship, not a democracy"- TTV Message Boards rules post.)

I get your point, though.

Personally, I don’t care much about the toa’s genders, as, in the previous generations at least, it hasn’t affected character traits and such too much. If I had to gender-swap a character though, I would’ve done Pohatu.

Also, why’s this under creative content?

2 Likes

Why the fronk not

2 Likes

While it can be that way, it can also improve a character immensely.

You can create a character with flaws and strengths, and personalities, but personally I think they shouldn’t be able to have an interchangeable gender. Gender, like all factors of life, should also be something a character builds off of, with mindset and attitude. Your character should get to a point where someone shouldn’t be able to imagine them as any other gender. Gender can make a character distinct and memorable, which shows how powerful it is. Any trait can, really.

This is probably the issue with Lewa being a girl in Brickonicle: people can’t accept a female Lewa because we’re used to part of his personality being masculine.

5 Likes

This has been an amusing read.
All this arguing over Lewa’s gender and I’m just sitting here upset that they gave Kuurahk spider legs.

But to weigh in… I can see the arguments for and against, but personally I don’t care. Of the five male toa, Lewa is the one I feel best works as a female, and I wouldn’t be too upset if Lego themselves made this change. But even that aside, this is a fan-project with very little bearing on the franchise as a whole, and to be honest, which I don’t see going anywhere soon, so by my estimation, it’s not all that worth getting worked up about.

10 Likes

Addressing the real issues here. :raised_hands:

12 Likes

Don’t you mean Turahk? (I’d have preferred a draconian or demonic form myself.)

2 Likes

first of all, if your refering to the blue Rahkshi, it’s Guurahk. If you were refering to the white Rahkshi, it’s Kurahk.

and nither one have spider legs, that’s Turahk. Guurahk got the squid legs while Kurahk got the axl torso.

4 Likes

What part of his G1 character was masculine? I haven’t followed every aspect of the old story, but I’ve only seen him as free-spirited, or the rookie of the team that gets into trouble due to it. Those are fairly neutral traits. If he were female in G1, it wouldn’t have changed how those traits were presented.

I guess that’s why I don’t understand the issue in this topic. :thinking:

4 Likes

Genuinely curious to see what people come up with for this. Been wondering it myself.

8 Likes

I believe they should have said, “We’re used to him being a dude”. Matau was the only really masculine Toa of Air, and I say that only due to the whole thing with Nokama, which is stretching it even then. Keet and Genki Girl are tropes after all, with gender being the only difference; you can gender-bend Lewa fine and keep that spirit.

Cue rushes of peeps googling those terms.

I was apprehensive when I saw that, but eventually I figured, eh, why not? It’s the Thirteenth Doctor all over again - although now I’m getting off topic.

3 Likes

I am quite familiar with which names go to which colors, thank you

Ah, I see. Didn’t remember which one, just saw art of a rahkshi with spider legs and went ‘no, please.’ I understand wanting to make them all unique and not clones, but I wasn’t a fan of something that extensive.

But I digress, this is getting a bit off-topic.

1 Like

Yeah this is what I meant. :S

1 Like

I’m saying the lore itself, which is used to explain the gender change, is overly complicated.

I would have left it six feet under, but that’s just me.

The gentlemen persona is what I imagine looking at the designs that have been put forth, not my own antebellum idea. However, your statement is fair.

[quote=“IllustriousVar, post:46, topic:41785”]
So regardless of whether or not you agree with the decision, this statement is simply untrue.

I fail to see how the gender of the character has added any complexity to the story. The “continuation of the mantle” plot exist regardless of Lewa’s gender.[/quote]

Having the original characters, but not the original characters is the confusing bit. My point was that you created that story (at least partially) to change the gender ratio, and that the ratio wasn’t just a secondary thought. I feel that trying to change the characters while keeping the names and (to some degree) the designs was a short coming of G2. It relied on nostalgia, which didn’t work. It’s the same mistake Star Wars made with TFA.

Idk man, I see the appeal, but for a big project that seems very limiting.

[quote=“IllustriousVar, post:46, topic:41785”]
I think this statement is a pipe dream. There’s no way to develop something that will appeal to everyone.[/quote]

You’re right. My point was you could have the most radical thing that alienates half of your fan base, but if it encouraged people to make their own continuations, a larger verity of people could enjoy a story that suits their own taste.

My point was that the gender ratios of bionicle were designed to represent the audience Lego was selling to. I can understand fixing the segregation of the genders like they did in G2, but I don’t see an issue with the Toa representing the gender ratio of the fandom.

And I appreciate your ability to accept it and respond :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Preforming necromancy on myself to give my opinion.

It’s just a needless change. If it changes nothing, why change it in the first place?

2 Likes

The same could be said about the opposite. If it changes nothing, why is there an issue with the change?

1 Like

Possibly. But the reverse isn’t quite true, it ultimately takes more effort to make the change, when it doesn’t matter either way.