Why is Lewa a girl?

I’m pretty sure changing Lewa’s gender definitely changes at least something. I mean, it sparked this, didn’t it?

Changing anything will spark a reaction. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Honestly i prefer this partially Because of the controversy it causes since i feel it best shows the new angle ttv is going with the toa. With lewa being the best flagship of this.

3 Likes

It doesn’t change how the story is presented… only how it is perceived.

So if someone perceives it poorly, that’s for them to come to terms with. Not everyone sees things the same way, so the story can’t cater to every point of view. (The same can be said for anything that people take offense to. It only offends you if you let it.)

1 Like

I believe he was referring to your spelling of “Kuurahk” with two u’s.

An urge to have adventure and go exploring, these are usually traits of boys. Note that I say usually. Can there be females with those traits? Yes. Are there a majority of females with those traits? No.

As for the topic at hand, I think I get the issue. if you change the gender of a character, you have two options: you can change the personality to match the new gender, at which point you just have a new character. Or you can leave the personality the same, at which point the gender change was pointless and only served the idea of “gender equality” while not actually doing anything for it.

Now, personally, I don’t care. But I know why people do. You want to make a female Toa of Air, fine. But it won’t be Lewa. You want to make Lewa female without changing any other aspects? Go ahead. But then it is just a pointless change.

One last issue I have with something you said:

This is not a good reason to change a character. You can tell a new story with the same characters; sequels do it all the time. You could have the exact same Toa Mata as before, in a different situation, and you have a different story.

~W12~

4 Likes

But why is it pointless? If someone feels that a set of traits would work better in their story on a different gender, then that is the point. Yes, gender balancing also ties in. But that’s not the sole reason for making a change like that.

1 Like

This has been an… interesting read. Personally I don’t care about the changes. And in all honesty find it a bit stupid we are arguing about what’s in a characters pants. Sure, it may not change much, but it’s pointless to argue about it. Ttv made up their mind, someone wanting it to change won’t do anything, probably.

4 Likes

You would have a point… if that was why they were making lewa female. But at no point have they said “The Lewa from G1 would work better as a female.”

~W12~

2 Likes

While I stand against this change, it’s become quite obvious that retracting it now would probably only make matters worse :wink:

My hope is that TTV pursues more original characters, instead of changing core aspects of them. Wherever it would feel today right or wrong, yesterday was an another day.

The reaction of the community, mine included to simply Lego changing Lewa’s element to jungle, was a step too far, because that was one of his core aspects, even if it technically felt right to do.

But, as what is done is done it kinda now gives an obligation for other characters genders to be changed to not leave Lewa as an oddball, which I hate on principle but technically have to approve.

Unless TTV comes up with something as short-sighted decision as this, I have lost my interest with this project, so don’t worry :eyes:

6 Likes

I’m gonna throw my two cents in and just say…I don’t care. Am I used to Lewa being a dude? Yeah, obviously. The dude was my favorite Toa for as long as I’ve known about BIONICLE. But TTV is doing their own thing and at this point the concept of female Lewa has grown on me. If it works for what they want to do, I don’t see why we should stop them.

I find the concept kinda refreshing, and coupled with the ‘Toa lineage’ concept it not only makes sense from a story standpoint but once again sets this take on BIONICLE apart from the rest.

11 Likes

If you change nothing people will have a reaction.

1 Like

again, going back to my first post, if the personality is still the same, why does the gender matter?
that’s pretty sexist to say that he had “male personality”, let’s look at adventure time for a second okey?

Finn

Fionna

They are the exact same character, same personality, the only thing that changes is the gender, and nobody cared really, because it isn’t important and because it was an alternative universe

3 Likes

I would probably describe Fiona as a bit of a tomboy.

I was surprised when there wasn’t a ton of backlash to the change, then ouberry was like:
“Hold my mask”

Honestly, who cares, the change is interesting and refreshing. The idea that a majority of the fandom has these weird fantasies just tells me that ouberry has a lack of knowledge of the fandom.

4 Likes

Okay, so I see the various argunents and I can understand why the change occurred, which is all I really wanted to know.
All I can say now is please don’t make Nuparu a girl because his personality actually does rely on his masculinity.

1 Like

Speaking of Nuparu, it would be interesting to tie his love of inventing with the Lightning tribe. As in he read stories of the tribe, and was inspierd to try an recreat the wonderfull inventions they made.

4 Likes

Name change alone makes it much more acceptable, imo.

1 Like

That would be really cool.

1 Like

I feel like literally every girl I know wants to have an adventure and go traveling abroad. I wouldn’t say that it’s a “male” trait at all, just something that most outgoing, adventurous people have.

Do they? I wasn’t aware that ingenuity and inventiveness relies on you being male.

8 Likes

In general, character traits are very unreliable for determining gender, and their roots go back to a number of stereotypes that don’t paint the whole picture of human variability. You may be able to make a better case for having a certain character be male or female based upon their job–for instance, males would probably be more likely to have a job in a field with more manual labor involved, due simply to their body type being naturally stronger in most cases. Other than that, though, there’s not much to say whether a character should or shouldn’t be a certain gender.

As a writer who makes a number of characters, I can tell you that, for me, gender in a story is mostly based on utility. I almost don’t even think of it when I make a character, as I decide on it first based upon the role the character will fill in the story. But in terms of what they do or who they are, gender plays almost no role in that, unless their gender is vital to their background, which isn’t often.

6 Likes