Why is Solek a hated set?

He looks a bit better like this:

12 Likes

But uh, those are official stats.

Kinda hard to argue with.

Is this a meme topic?

2 Likes

He knows a lot of legends thanks to Kirop, but general intelligence wise he seems to be like a young kid.

1 Like

Just boring. Plus the Solek meme.

Tahu surfs on lava, Gali swims underwater, Lewa flys in the air, Pohatu kicks rocks. What does Solek do? Nothing. He just hops on Kopakaā€™s back on the swamp planet so he can teach him how to move rocks with his mind or something.

4 Likes

But you just compared him to a bunch of toaā€¦How do you beat that?:stuck_out_tongue: Besides he does light shields if I remember rightā€¦

Which is what makes him likable. Right? Tanma and Photok are just plain boringā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: And no not really, I was just curious why people hated himā€¦I mean there are worse sets that came out in those years. Take Klakk for instanceā€¦I mean that thing is just creepy.

1 Like

You mean the promotional setā€¦

The set that was given to people for free? The set with over double the pieces? The set that is actually poseable?

Yeah, lets compare the twoā€¦

2 Likes

I thought that was Brickmaster set. You had to pay for it :stuck_out_tongue: I think, Iā€™ll double checkā€¦Darn it brickset does list him by his nameā€¦Got it.

There we go, and still looks creepy. Rahi should not have Toa headsā€¦Ever. I donā€™t remember exactly how much a Brickmaster set cost, but I think it was somewhere around 20-15 so a bit more than Solek, and as an added bonus it looks like its trying to stare into your soul. And he doesnā€™t even come with a single rare piece.

2 Likes

I am honestly surprised this topic isnā€™t closed yet.

3 Likes

The Brickmaster magazine was doldrums in six month subscription packages. Based on research, the polybags that would be sent with your first issue where never sold, only offered as part of the subscription package. I may have worded my post badly, but my point is that Klakk was not a set you could find on store shelves, and be expected to pay forā€¦

1 Like

But you still had to give money to Lego to get him, and you would end up paying a bit more than Solek, and Solek come with rare partsā€¦

If you ignore the six month magazine subscription along the other goodies included, and say all that money is just going towards Klakk, he is more expensive. However that would be ignoring the six month magazine subscription along the other goodies included.

The barely usable limb pieces, and a mask. Rarity does not equal quality, or desirability.

Based on my personal experience with the 2008 matoran, the way I used my Bionicle sets in 2008, and the two sets, I would rather have Klakkā€¦

4 Likes

I was using division. Divide up the main price and you get around 15-20 for Klakk. Which in my opinion is one of the most disturbing Bionicle sets out thereā€¦

I wouldnā€™t those limb pieces are barely usable. They are the perfect size for Rahi limbs, (Mandibles, Multiple legs, Neck, etc) you could use them for jet back add ons, wing extensions, mech legs, etc. Just got be careful that you donā€™t snap the joints. But when you think about. Some people will pay over 50 dollars for just a mask. That really makes ten a reasonable price if just for another Kanohiā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not really about the set itself, as much as how every issue that plagued the phantoka wave is represented on Solek in some way or another.

-Overuse of the color grey: Check.
-Overspecialized limb pieces for small sets: Check.
-Overstandardization of builds, which was especially disappointing coming out of 2007ā€™s much more diverse sets: Yup.
-Being an Av-toran: Well yeah.
-Slapped on flight gear because we had to fit it somewhere: Jetpack.

Hating Solek isnā€™t really about hating Solek. Itā€™s about all of 2008ā€™s problems coming together and forming a character.

1 Like
  1. We could say the same about that year with the Rahkshi. The Rahkshi were gray, the Rahi were gray, Makuta was grey. Lots of gray. Gray is awesome.
  2. What? They gave you a cool new piece. Why would you complain about a new piece?
  3. Ok, the build isnā€™t that diverse. I mean itā€™s just a ten dollar set. Considering the fact that it did come with a decent amount of parts. You get two weapons that at the time werenā€™t fairly common, an exclusive mask, a jetpack, and a standard figure. There is a fair amount of play value here.
  4. But the Jetpack looks like it was specifically built to on the back of an Av-Matoranā€¦
1 Like

Teri is not grey, he has grey, along with black, gunmetal, silver and red.

ā€¦

One of the least useful parts to come out of g1.

2 Likes

He did have a fair amount of gray in him though. Thatā€™s what I meant.

What, you donā€™t think grey is awesome?

No, no my friend this is the worst piece to come out of G1.
http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=57556#T=C

2 Likes

As a color to balance the color scheme. out, yes. Not when itā€™s part of an already neutral and boring scheme.

1 Like

But what makes grey and white boring? With that logic doesnā€™t that mean at least for the most part that Kopaka Mata is boring? I mean his primary colors are grey and white.

Also this set doesnā€™t have any blue or red pins in it. That should be an added bonus already. :stuck_out_tongue:

Less than 30% of his body is grey, his arms, which have red as well, and his waist.[quote=ā€œkeiththelegokid, post:38, topic:31429ā€]
What, you donā€™t think grey is awesome?
[/quote]

Dark grey is rather dull.

Light grey and white, conveys ice and snow, solek is dark grey and white which just appears monochrome.

Thatā€™s only because the build is painfully simple, hardly a bonus, if anything some blue pins would have improved his color scheme.

3 Likes