Why is Solek a hated set?

1. I just don’t see how that part isn’t useful. It was primary in the Agori and the Stars.
  2. Monochrome isn’t bad. I mean his colors are the probably the best out of the Av-matoran story wise. I mean the other two are screaming to get shot. Solek at least blends into Karda Nui’s upper landscape. Also
    https://quotesaga.s3.amazonaws.com/quote/QS_e51a2c5c06234883bd048870cdc157ca.jpg
  3. I don’t think that would have helped Solek much.
1 Like

The thing is, people don’t dislike him for the story, but his set is disliked on the basis of a bland colour scheme. And Kopaka is different as his colours transition more smoothly and give the “snow and ice” vibe, he also has blue eyes. Solek, on the other hand, only has dark grey, which clashes with the bright white nearly as much as a black/white colour scheme, and his green eyes stand out and can give him a rather sickly look, considering that trans lime green doesn’t go well with white. Storywise, Solek is a decent character, but setwise he is probably the least interesting set produced by Lego. Now I feel that your question of “Why is Solek a Hated Set” has been answered and you are just prolonging this for the sake of argument and a few laughs, especially considering your excessive use of the :stuck_out_tongue: face. Maybe we should call a mod? Idk.

3 Likes

Yeah… This topic didn’t need to last this long. At all.

6 Likes

Maybe, but the smiley is a constant for whatever forum I’m on. So is this debate considered spam or something? Should I not of posted it? Still learning the ropes of this place…

missing a word, and they are barely useable.

there is little articulation, the limbs are bre-bent, and use them more than 1-2 times, and joints will start to crack.

the only useful piece is the mask, and even then, why buy the entire set when you could just bricklink it?

makes more sense financially, lumping it in with another one of your orders, rather than spending money just on the set.

which masks they’re spending the money on matters.

if it’s a rare mask, or one that was terribly distributed, then yes.

if it wasn’t, then i could just go on bricklink and buy the mask for under a dollar.[quote=“keiththelegokid, post:34, topic:31429”]
That really makes ten a reasonable price if just for another Kanohi…
[/quote]

no it doesn’t, because the advent of Bricklink,[quote=“keiththelegokid, post:36, topic:31429”]
We could say the same about that year with the Rahkshi. The Rahkshi were gray, the Rahi were gray, Makuta was grey. Lots of gray. Gray is awesome.
[/quote]

yes, but at least they had another color balancing it out.

that, and the rahkshi were revolutionary, with the advent of knees, so they get a pass.

because the rest of the parts are either gonna become unusable after using them around 3 times, or could be found in other sets.

no.

the Toa Metru had a “decent ammount of parts”

around 48 for 8$. that’s around 16 cents a part.

solek has 14 pieces for around 7.

that’s 50 cents per piece.

and he doesn’t even have knee or elbow articulation.

they were in hydraxxon, hewkii mahri, karzahni, Mutran and Vican, and in the Good Guy and Bad guy sets from 2008.

they were somewhat common then.

2 of them came in Lewa Phantoka.

all the sets had an “exclusive mask”

yea, a new “standard matoran”

like Tanma and Photok.

who at least look better

and yet it was still used better on Lewa.[quote=“keiththelegokid, post:40, topic:31429”]
But what makes grey and white boring?
[/quote]

M O N O C H R O M A T I C

you do know what “monochrome” means, right?

so, no techinc connectors.

makes this set even less useful.

the argument is against the color of the pins and axles, not the inclusion of the parts.

which part are you referring to? the limbs? 'cause those things are static, and stuck in only 1 position. terrible for trying to make anything dynamic.

yes it is.

story does not matter when one is looking at a set objectively.

in this case, breaking the color scheme would have helped to make him look interesting.

4 Likes

It’s understandable why out of all the Av-Matoran/Agori build sets, Solek could be considered the worst, but IMO the worst is Stars Takanuva. That set is just Solek with a silver Avohkii. At least Solek had a nice mask…

8 Likes

I didn’t realize Bionicle was treated with the best regards to practicality.

Look, Solek had an awful build, only one good pieces, brittle joints, and a color scheme that would blend in to any white, black, or grey shelf.

It’s a bad set from an objective point of view. There isn’t enough good to counter the bad. If you wish to keep claiming there is, go ahead. But there isn’t much of substance if you want to look at this objectively.

6 Likes

I’m really surprised this topic has turned into such an intense debate. Like, yeah, Solek is a really low-quality set, but it’s not as if the small box sets of G1 were ever expected to be that great. I always thought the whole pro-Solek or anti-Solek thing was just the meme, nothing more.

I make grammar and spelling mistakes sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue: It happens. :stuck_out_tongue:

Solek’s character is interesting, also these sets seem to have been meant as add ons for the Toa. Not stand alone sets. Also not everyone does Bricklink orders. For example if I gave this set to my nine year old brother he would love it. Why? Because it comes with everything a set needs for a kid to be happy. You have your decent weapons, you got a jetpack, and the instructions are simple and easy to follow. (Although most little kids will put the jetpack on upside down.) True the joints will snap, but that was the same for all sets of that era. Didn’t mean they didn’t get played with. I don’t think these sets were aimed at the AFOL community in particular.

But most Bricklink sellers make you pay shipping…I mean if you buy lots on Bricklink I suppose you can do that, but if you just wanted the mask that would a little bit of a hassle.

White is a color…Granted it isn’t a bright one…Wait a second…what about that white Rahkshi what balanced him out?

True, but that was kinda the problem for all sets of that era.

A good part of this can be chalked up to inflation. The dollar has been steadily going down in value. Therefore the price of sets has changed. If I remember correctly there was a collapse of the economy in 08. Sets seem to have gotten a lot more expensive after that. (That also might be why we didn’t get a movie that year either.)

It was still a cheep way to get them. I know didn’t have any of the sets you mentioned at that point in time. For a kid this set is a cheep and easy way to get weapons that would only be gotten in sets that were discontinued or good 30 dollars.

So? I don’t really get your point here. It’s a nice part to have, it doesn’t break and it is useful. Also, who would take them off Lewa?

Not completely true. Mutran and that other guy that I can’t remember the name of got recolors not new molds. So sorta.

I think that is a difference of opinion. In my mind Tanma looks ok, and apparently other people agree with me since he was on Amazon for around a hundred at one point, but don’t get started on Photok. Solek looks way better than Photok. Stone should be either brown or yellowish orange. Not bright orange. Besides he was a dull character.

Lewa was a bigger and more expensive set.

Uh, yes :stuck_out_tongue: I looked it up. gray, black, white, Kopaka. I don’t see a problem with it though.

Um, this was a joke. He doesn’t really need those parts anyway.

Yea, that was referring too, and challenge accepted. :mask:

I must disagree with that. I think the swamp sets had a better color scheme that was more geared to their environment. Lewa and Pohatu stand out a little more than they should. I mean even the Makuta blended in better.

Uh, how?

Well parts of it should be :stuck_out_tongue:

Simple doesn’t mean awful. Maybe this set was meant for kids. Kids have a tendency to like whatever their older siblings (Or in my case cousins) like. This set looks like it was meant for a lower demographic. Also it’s a cheep set. An impulse buy. The main problem with this set is the joints, and that plagued Bionicle till the Reboot.

Maybe, but it shouldn’t be disliked on this scale. There are way worse designed sets than this. I personally think that Solek is better than Klakk, or some of the Voya Matoran (Balta I’m looking at you.)

Well, see, the thing is.
Most sets are already designed for kids.
In fact, almost every set, while anyone (including older fans) can buy the sets, they are generally made primarily for the younger audience. The only exceptions to this are larger sets (like Titans and Vehicles).

Personally speaking, I don’t really mind Solek as a set, and I don’t actually mind his colourscheme. His other issues, most predominately the brittle joints, will remain an issue.
Though, in my opinion, Photok is worse than Solek.

5 Likes

True, but I meant more like little kids. I mean his box says 6 and up. So, I kinda think that six to say eight is around the age this set was meant for. And just to put his build in perspective. I had a friend once who claimed he spent an hour building the stars Piraka…Some people need really simple builds. He had Tanma too, and he put the jetpack on backwards. Thus again enforcing that sometimes small sets are needed for some people.

(Also, I apparently made a small mistake in his original price. He wasn’t ten dollars he was seven dollars.)

I would bit trust this. Even if it were to be an extended amount of time, suggesting that it took an hour for anyone is completely absurd, especially when you only have their word to go off of.

Solek and the other sets using the design have no excuse to resemble McDonald’s toys, especially when in every year prior the smaller scale sets sold fairly well compared to the Av Matoran while having a unique build schematic for the wave.

3 Likes

I did say “claimed” although the fact that he put the jetpack on backwards with Tanma, and never seemed to do to well with Lego sets. I wouldn’t be surprised. The point is that there are people who aren’t the best builders; most of those people tend to be very, very young kids. These sets are perfect for kids who can barely follow instructions.

I think that’s a bit harsh. Everything after the Mctoran were horrible. These are lot better than those. Besides these sets were trying something new, which obviously worked well enough for Lego to keep the formula. I think that at seven dollars this isn’t that bad of a set. I mean it could be better, but we should take into account all the new molds used in the Phantoka/Mistika waves. It does make some sense for some of the sets to be a little less cool than others. It also seems odd that the Av-Matoran get a lot of flack but the Kra Matoran get off free. Aren’t they kinda the same style?

1 Like

When people say that the av-toran build is awful, they mean all the sets that use it.

3 Likes

I actually don’t mind the Shadow Matoran, but that’s only because they have a more interesting color scheme (dark blue will always look better against black than white on grey) and build, but they all share the same inexcusable flaws.

2 Likes

why wouldn’t you give his something like a protector, which has better articulation[quote=“keiththelegokid, post:50, topic:31429”]
AFOL community in particular.
[/quote]

oh, how cute.

you think most of the people who’re arguing against you are over 18.

read the quote you copied.

that’ll give you the reason why i gave it a pass.

i think you’ve missed my point

think of a kid, who hasn’t read any of the story.

and going in to a store, and weighing the pros and cons of each of the av-toran.

adding some color to at least make him visually interesting on a shelf?

the main point of this is TO SELL TOYS

it’s what all things that have a toyline have to do.

they have to sell product.

the toa can easily be marketed, because people know who Lewa, Pohatu, and Kopaka are.

they can market the Makuta 'cause they look evil, cool, bestial.

it’s harder marketing new characters, so they got to be able to catch someone’s eye on the shelf.

which would catch your eye more on a shelf- Bright green, or white.

in certain cases, this is true.

but in this case, no.

the av-toran have little articulation, only few of the pieces are truly useful, and he just blends into the shelf, while his wavemates catch the eyes of the kids more.

oi.

the Voyatoran were at least useful parts packs.

easy ways to get classic weapons and parts for cheap.

on balta, you’re able to get:

• 1 metru Huna
  • 2 Air Katanas
  • 3 metru red bohrok feet
  • 2 metru forearms in red
  • 4 keetorange mata hads
  • 2 grey bohrok eyes
  • assorted technic connectors

around 22 pieces for the same price, and most of these are rather useful, compared to solek’s mask, feet, and maybe the blades.[quote=“keiththelegokid, post:54, topic:31429”]
Everything after the Mctoran were horrible.
[/quote]

ahem.

look at the 2003 matoran.

the metrutoran.

the rahaga were even better than the Av-torans, for god’s sake!

these two sentences should be reversed, 'cause the metrutoran at least the 2003 and 2004 matoran, along with the rahaga, had some form of function.

this.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested in why Solek is worse than the other two Av-matoran and wants an answer other than “he’s boring”, I’ll try to make one here.

Tanma has lime green and grey, a very uncommon colour scheme, and lime green is a very bright colour that stands out and contrasts nicely with the grey. The same goes for the orange and grey of Photok, it stands out a lot and is an uncommon colour scheme, so it’s something new that you don’t get from other sets.

Solek has white and grey, the white doesn’t stand out from the grey as much as orange or lime, and the white also is a common colour used in other Bionicle sets.

Let’s say that, build-wise, all three Av-Matoran have the same amount of pros and cons, because they’re mostly the same pieces. Now, factoring in the colour schemes, one could say that Tanma and Photok each have an additional pro for having unique and interesting colour schemes, and Solek has one extra con for having a rather bland and uninteresting colour scheme.

So it isn’t just that Solek’s colours are bad, it’s that the other two’s colours are good.

7 Likes

I liked Solek when I first got him back when I was 9. I liked him simply because of his mask and the power it had in the story. Looking back, the mask really was the only good thing about it.

Not siding with anyone here but this is getting kinda heated. Everyone here is seeming to intensely defend their side here. But I’ll just leave it at this: people have their own opinions, and should have the ability to respect the opinions of others, but I’m not really seeing much of that from anyone on this topic.

I personally have mixed feelings on Solek, and I can see why some of you like him or don’t like him.

But yeah I don’t want like a full fledged fight to occur or anything. Not gonna say who but some of you seem quite nasty in the way you’re responding to each other.

Because of that I’m surprised this topic has lasted so long so far, but this is supposed to be a friendly environment as far as I’m concerned…and it’s just not seeming to be very friendly is all.

1 Like

These aren’t entirely opinions, however. An opinion is based entirely on personal preference; what makes someone happy or satisfied. This argument is centered on objectives, primarily. It is objective fact that a Lego set made almost entirely of specialized molds is not as good or versatile a set as one made primarily with creative piece usage and simple rebuildability. I do not think it is far-fetched by any means to say that an $8 set made of only about a dozen specialized parts, fragile pieces, common colors, and lacking any distinct play features barring plugging onto another set’s back, is an inferior set to the other toys of the line that carry few of those problems for a similar price.

Those are all objective from a certain point of view.

5 Likes