Why is Solek a hated set?

That’s inheritly his point - if there’s no MOCing potential, uncreative color design, easy building factor and poor plastic strength, there’s not any real reason to buy it, espeically at the price it was sold at.

2 Likes

I have several comparisons in mind, but my go-to comparison is Stars Skrall given how similar the Agori and Av-Matoran builds are. Somehow Lego managed to take these infernal builds and gave Stars Skrall even less possibility than a standard set of said build (The blades on his upper arms coliding with each other and his helmet). Plus Stars Skrall is just a mess in general (an open ball, an open socket, open axles, and a questionable color scheme).

1 Like

This is still a better figure, coming with more pieces, many of which are of greater versatility. As a former owner of both sets, I’ve found considerable more enjoyment in Skrall than Solek.

Skrall, while using a generally standard version of the build (despite spicing it up a little for the sake of some variety in silhouette with the whole neck thing), includes more pieces that can be used for more things. He comes with six “Avtoran” parts, while Solek comes with five. Despite this, he still comes with more parts of greater versatility. Skrall includes 15 pieces that most people could likely figure out a use for. The head is fairly generic, and all of the weapon pieces can be used for, well, weapons, as well as some creative armoring. The usage of the technic pins should come as obvious. Then there are the hands and feet, which, while fairly specific, can be used for other purposes (the winner of the G2 Mask contest used hands for side detail).

Solek comes with less Avtoran specific pieces, but less to balance it out. He has two common feet parts, a decent mask, albeit somewhat specific with the size and shape, and the weapons, hands, and jetpack end up the only real versatile pieces.

In short, Skrall has 6 super specialized parts that are widely hated, and Solek has five, but Skrall also has 15 other pieces most could find a good use for, while Solek has only 9.

Neither are the epitome of a good set, but Solek is still considerably worse.

3 Likes

No, Strars Skrall is not a better set. Yes, it is good for a set to have more pieces that can be used in multiple scnearios. But that doesn’t soley mean the set is better.

The end result of Stars Skrall is bad. Like I said: He has an open ball, an open socket, and parts that collide. Solek has none of these. The main point of a set is not to have the most parts, but to have the best build and execution. Solek in this regard has a better build. Yes, it is simplistic. Yes, it is the bare minimum. And yes, It not much different from Stars Skrall. BUT, Solek has better quality while Stars Skrall has better quantity. And Quality is usually what is looked at when it comes to judging things.

I would rather have a simplistic set like Solek rather than a set Like Stars Skrall who tries to be something he isn’t. Stars Skrall is not a Skrall set, he is an agori set. Solek is a matoran set and he sticks to that.

The way I ultimately view it is this:

• Solek has ideal posibility for his build while Stars Skrall collides with itself easily. Stars Skrall also has Tanma arms which are horrendous for posing. It’s bad enough that he collides with himself easily as I just said, but this just makes it worse.
  • Stars Skrall has more parts, but this creates a build that as I said, causes Stars Skrall to be a set he cannot be. Solek on the other hand fits what he is perfectly and sticks to that. And speaking of parts, Solek uses feet that don’t need to be constructed while Stars Skrall has to use socket pieces that are notorius for cracking.
  • Stars Skrall’s “armor” is unconvetional and borderline useless in a practical sense (just like his original release). It also gives him open axles which is a con no matter what. It implies that the set is incomplete. And it also causes him to collide with himself as I have just stated time and time again. Open holes and sockets do not count towards this as they do not jut out. Solek has none of these issues and typically his character doesn’t need armor.
  • Solek’s color scheme while being “boring,” fits perfectly with the ice motif of his disguise. Stars Skrall’s color scheme implies that it is close to The Mighty Tuma in rank despite being a borderline horde enemy and having low durability. Star Skralls’ color scheme also is handled pretty poorly considering that the socket parts connecting the feet to the legs could have been green giving the set color balance. Plus it’s baffling that Stars Skrall was black and green considering that there was mata red parts in the exact same wave.
  • Solek’s combiner function actually works pretty well and allows him to be fit on any set with the toa and makuta connecting pieces while the Stars combiner is an incoherent amalgmation of parts that break easily.
  • And lastly: Stars Skrall’s canocity is debatable considering the stars were never meant to exist in the first place while Solek is an important character (being a matoran of light). Heck, if you want to take it one step further: Solek has better character. He is innocent fanboy who idolizes someone and has trouble controling his emotions while Stars skrall is basically a random soldier with next to no personality.

Like I said before: Quality over quantity.

Yes, I get that people are entitled to their opinions. I’m not saying you have to like Solek as a set. I am not trying to dictate your opinions. What I am doing is looking at the set objectively, not subjectively. Subjectively speaking: Stars Skrall is better. Objectively speaking: Solek is a better set.

And before anyone says anything, this is not an argument. I just figured that if I am going to claim Solek is not the worst set, I need to reinforce my point. My apologies if I sound aggressive. No hard feelings whatsoever.

4 Likes

You can’t say that objectively, as that is an opinion. [quote=“ChaoticTempleKnight, post:127, topic:31429”]
Solek uses feet that don’t need to be constructed while Stars Skrall has to use socket pieces that are notorius for cracking.
[/quote]

At this point all the pieces were cracking.

The main point of the set is to get people to buy it. Comparing Skrall and Solek, I’d say Skrall looks way cooler, even with it’s flaws.

Furthermore, you neglected to include anything about colors, because that’s where Skrall excedes, black and lime green imo is way cooler than Gray and White.

Now, I probably won’t change your mind, please don’t claim that objectively is something is better or worse.

4 Likes

Apparently combining with the Toa gives them both certain special abilities, similar to the 2016 creatures as seen here (as well as on BS01’s entries on each individual Matoran)

Solek’s power is strangely, the most nonsensical…how does one create “objects of solid light”? :grimacing:

8 Likes

Omega, you’re misunderstanding me.

When you review or judge something, you need to be subjective and objective. Take movies for instance. You need to consider what was done right as defined by standards set by it’s predecessors. Then you can be subjective and say how well you feel something was accomplished in your opinion. With Solek, I was looking at what he did right as defined by the standards sets set before him. This is objective as we have something to compare to and Bionicle does have standards that need to be met. You can’t soley base a judgement or evaluation on opinions because then I could say something like The Room is definitively better than something like Citizen Cane. Like I said, there are things you need to be objective about. Subjectivity is still important, but you need to also be objective in certain aspects. Yes, what I said is technically an opinion, but it’s me looking at Solek from unbiased point of view. pardon the movie comparisons, it’s the first thing that came to mind.

And yes, I know all post 07 parts crack. I mentioned the sockets because they are most commonly know to crack compared to other parts.

And Yes, one of the main points is for to people to buy the set. But the set still needs to be good quality as defined by standards that have been set. I openly acknowledged that people will think Stars Skrall looks better and that Solek has a “boring” color scheme. People are entitled to their likes and dislikes. BUT, you can’t say a set is bad soley becuase you don’t like it and only because you don’t like it. That not is how critique works. Even if you hate Solek, you have to admit that he is a pretty solid set objectively speaking. Subjectivley speaking, he is very boring. I won’t deny that. But objectively speaking, he meets the criteria for a standard Bionicle set. Stars Skrall doesn’t, see my previous points.

Omega, my apologies if I sound rude, but: Did you not read my second post fully? There is an entire bullet point in regrds to their color schemes. Yes, you think black and green is cooler. What I was saying is that Solek’s color scheme fits the description of a Ko-Matoran (his disguise) while Stars Skrall has a color scheme that is questionable compared to other skralls.

No, my views on Solek won’t change. But I am not trying to dictate your opinions by being objective. You can claim something is objectively better or worse. Being objective is to look at something regardless of personal feelings and opinions. When I say Solek is a solid set, I am saying he is a solid set as set by standards of bionicle. At this point I am looking at Solek from an unbiased viewpoint. I am not saying you’re wrong for liking Stars Skrall better than Solek. If in you’re viewpoint you feel Stars Skrall is better, that’s good and completely acceptable. Personally I am neutral towards Stars Skrall subjectively speaking. But when I look at the set unbiased and without my opnions, I see him as an inferior set.

Like I said to Joe, I’m not trying to start an argument and no hard feelings. I will gladly and maturely explain myself when need be.

Oh good lord, we’re going to have ban talking about Solek at this rate, Lol. I got nothing against anyone, but you know…stuff can happen.

Why does this subject have to be so complicated? oh boy… And what’s worse is I am getting to the point where I am running out of things to say. I don’t know what to say anymore, I’ve said what I’ve needed to say (in my view at least).

1 Like

this.

and, @ChaoticTempleKnight, you could use the feet as armor, without it looking kinda silly, unlike the mata feet that came with solek.

and also

Argue-

give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one’s view.

what makes you think that an argument has to get heated?

this entire topic is an argument between those that support solek and those that don’t.

so argue away, sir.

An Argument implies that we are angry at each other. I am not angry at anyone here. Am I a little heated? Yes. Am I angry? No, not at all.

This is more in line with a debate…which I am enjoying. This is a complicated subject, but it is still fun to discuss.

No offense Sammy, but the way you typed your message sort of implies that you are getting a little upset, but I can’t be sure. Internet text be internet text.

1 Like

oh no, wasn’t tryin to sound angry, just sain “hey, nothin wrong with callin this an argument, argue on”

1 Like

Ah, okay. I usually equate argument to anger which is why I made the distinction.

1 Like

It’s technically possible. And don’t forget: Great Beings. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

As does Solek. I own Solek.

I can’t think of a joint on him that’s still intact.

I don’t think any of my 08 joints aren’t cracked to some degree

I’m pretty sure my Chirox, Gavla, and Kirop are still completely intact.

Actually my Solek is still 100% intact

I try to keep it that way

2 Likes

You criticize him too much

this is Atakus an okay set

This is Skrall, the way I see him he’s an upgraded Agori

hahaha I like to believe he’s an upgraded skrall, he is lime because he was one of Tuma’s special warriors, he was painted lime to honour tuma also he has nothing to do with ice

yeah can’t disagree

that and an agori set are identical, it’s like saying lhikan is completely differrent to the toa metru and he’s rubbish becaus he becomes a turaga first or something like that

what is my only friend arry the arrow pointing to? could it be? No Way! It’s a socket size place that can I don’t know Snap easily these can break just as much

That doesn’t necessarily make him garbage good sets suffer that con

find the open axles and tell me it ruins the set

look at the flavorless corpse and those holes, those holes ar much more obvious then the open pins also this blandness compared to the rainbow skittles of Tanma and Photok

Solek: Kopaka I love you i love you
this really ruins Kopaka
also a random soldier, thats the best thing about him, he could be a fearless warrior with a sad backstory or a spy for another team or a sad skrall with a tragic backstory where he lost his parents to the fire tribe and ever since hates them or a skrall who believes he does the right thing but joined the wrong side , you can’t do that h the bohrok

mate he was 10x better then Foolek, balta had usable parts

[/quote]

like the tohunga it was free if you subscribed to brickmaster

hey uh builder only use new parts

uhh builder moccing doesn’t suit you

OK, time to dig into this.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
You criticize him too much
[/quote]

no, he has a point.

Stars skrall is trying to be like the 2008 skrall set, but comes off as an agori cosplaying as a skrall, with high rank colors.

“upgrade?”

feels more like a massive downgrade, mate

“tuma’s special warrors”

ok, i’m just gonna ask for your citation, mate.

they were hoard enemies.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
also he has nothing to do with ice
[/quote]

that part was referring to solek’s color scheme.

if you couldn’t tell, what you were quoting was a comarison between color schemes.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
it’s like saying lhikan is completely differrent to the toa metru
[/quote]

i mean, in story, he is.

the stars were trying to be representations of pre-established characters, while the av-matoran were just trying to be matoran.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
he’s rubbish becaus he becomes a turaga first or something like that
[/quote]

actually, that’s a horrible example.

first off, toa lihkan came out before the turaga set.

secondly, the stars skrall is rubbish because it’s a downgrade from his previous set.

ok, this is beyond poorly articulated, for starters.

secondly, do you not know how brittle pieces were back then?

they were more brittle than their contemporary pieces. i’ve had more av-matoran limbs snap on me, as opposed to your example, which is the re-moulded mata feet.

no, but that on top of all of his other flaws makes him rubbish[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
good sets suffer that con
[/quote]

also, the sky is blue.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
find the open axles and tell me it ruins the set
[/quote]

it doesn’t,

Because that set has redeeming factors

and since when did this become “Why is Stars Skrall a hated set?”

all the sets had open holes, and that last part is debatable.

i know you’re trying to defend why solek is bad, but it sounds like you’re dissing tanma and photok’s color scheme in the same blow.[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
this really ruins Kopaka
[/quote]

how, sir

how?[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
also a random soldier, thats the best thing about him,
[/quote]

about who?

about solek?

ehm

what?[quote=“Pohatuisawesome, post:140, topic:31429”]
hey uh builder only use new parts
[/quote]

it doesn’t matter what parts you use, mate,

it matters what you do with them

you could be masterful with old or new parts,

or you could churn out crap like you posted, just to prove a point

also, the 2nd image doesn’t even help your case, since those are all parts that are relatively old, compared to the av-matoran.

5 Likes

“Secondary armor colors can also differ within the warrior Skrall class.”

1 Like

This is also half a decade older…

…didn’t this cost money?

1 Like