writing tips

Hello Greg,
I’m trying to write my own book and I can barely think of concepts to continue my story. I was hoping that you could give me some tips. I really would like the help.
Thanks, Cyo
P.S. I really like the mazabok plant that was in Mystery of Metru Nui (sorry if I miss spelled that.)

3 Likes

I have generally found, myself, that if my story isn’t moving it’s because at some point I made a character do something they did not want to do. I once had to go back and toss 40 pages of a novel I had written because of that. So that’s a place to start.

8 Likes

How do you overcome writer’s block? Also, how do you recommend creating stories? Should you plan it or go with the flow?

Was this book the BIONICLE Legends: Invasion?

No, it was from my pre-LEGO days.

If I get writer’s block, it tends to be when I am writing stuff on my own rather than for an assigned project – a freelance project has a check at the hand, which cures many ills. But I will usually handle it by doing something that isn’t writing – work a different muscle in my head and let that one rest a while. A lot of time writer’s block is associated with what I mentioned before, your characters have gone off track somewhere and are now refusing to cooperate.

I don’t outline my stories. When I do, my writing suffers and I lose interest, because I already know how it is going to end. I prefer to let characters and stories evolve as they want to rather than force them down one path or another.

1 Like