YouTube Discussion Topic

Well I’m not your enemy, I don’t even know who that is.

1 Like

Yeah, but anybody who likes Jinx might…

2 Likes

Well who ever that is, need to seek help.

2 Likes

Agreed, I just look him up. Also aren’t we braking some rules here?

Yeah, it sounds if you guys are getting off topic. Let me fix that.

I may have already made a post in here, but I’ll just make a different one, such as what’s wrong with YouTube-

First of all: Their copyright laws are very screwy.

I understand why YouTube has copyright laws in the first place, which was to make sure no one was pirating movies or TV shows. The problem is, these big companies (Such as Fox and Viacom) Like to abuse these laws, taking down videos even when it falls into fair use. You might Remember about how I hate Everything was suspended or how Channel Awesomeness lost their monetization. He stated that they were trying to get YouTube to help them (even arguing why it goes into fair use) But YouTube wasn’t doing a thing about it, at least until they went public.

There’s also no law for false claims. If a studio makes a false claim (I.E fair use) then something might have to be done, such as getting all of the money that they took from the content creator. But they don’t, and the channels had to fight for three weeks to try and fix this problem.

There’s also the community.

I’m sure you all know about the whole “React” thing. You know, the “I want to react to this but I can’t because the Fine Bros will sue me” thing that happened recently. The Fine Bros apologized for that and even scrapped their plans for “React World” but this was still a big issue. I mean, it makes sense why people wouldn’t like it (as it felt as if they were trying to copyright react videos, even going so far to trademark react) But still, their reputation is ruined.

Also the ads. The freaking ads. They appear too frequently, never interest me, really annoying and sometimes are longer than the video itself!

I can see why everyone likes Vessel more, and I would even subscribe to it if I had the money. Sadly, this is as good as we might get, considering there aren’t that many sites as big as YouTube.

3 Likes

Agreed, I understand that they made a tweet about canceling react world etc and said sorry, but the way they handled the issue the first days was an absolute disaster: deleting comments, and ten giving the update video which was more of a lecture of how their project was 10/10 than a we are sorry video.
Even after they said sorry people will not stop bashing on them, again, their reputation is destroyed, it is extremely unlikely that (as of the time of this post) 500,000+ subs will return to the channel.

2 Likes

Didn’t hear that about Machinima, but I’ve always had a dislike for them. That seems to be a practise for most MCMs nowdays.

Let’s get this out of the way - America’s intellectual property system is a mess. Horrible, ugly mess. It is too overreaching and it can be abused very easily. BUT it is also the only way for you to keep the trademark on something you’ve done. As someone who owns a (very small) brand, this is something we had to go through as well. Full disclosure: we are looking to get trademarks on most of our large umbrella shows (TTV, etc.), because that’s the only way we can safeguard our brand.

Except people do it all the time. Apple has a trademark on “apple”, Machinima has a trademark on “machinima” - this isn’t the first time this has happened.

In fact, why didn’t anyone get up in arms when Machinima trademarked the term “machinima”? That’s a genre that’s way more creatively involved than just “react” videos, and one that legitimately caused a ton of brand confusion for people doing those kinds of videos going forward.

1. It’s a trademark, not a copyright. That is very, very important. The purpose of a trademark is to protect against brand confusion (for instance, I can’t create a line of comfortable soft clothing called “Microsoft”, because people might think it’s part of the “Microsoft” brand). Very different from a copyright.
  2. Taking down videos is largely automatic. As seen with the Nostalgia Critic fiasco, a large part of YouTube is mostly automated, with little human oversight. That’s not to say that Fine Bros. couldn’t have asked for that video to be taken down themselves, but that there is a possibility that they didn’t. Doesn’t excuse them, just needs to be kept in mind.
  3. A lot of “react” videos don’t respect the original content as much as the Fine Bros. do. Honestly, I’ve watched a lot of their videos - they’ll cut out parts of the original and make the majority of the video demographic interviews. It’s more incentive to watch the original content - but on top of that, it’s insight into a demographic and that’s the main focus of their video. Other “react” channels/videos is someone just talking over the entirety of another video in the corner - not nearly as useful or informative.
  4. Why is having only money on their mind a bad thing? Focusing on a profit like an actual company is really bad, now? I get the concern that pursuing that money could make them do things like have less oversight, have a far reach on taking down videos that are tangetally related to them, and overall abusing their power…but abusing power and having money on their mind are completely different things.
  5. All the Fine Bros. wanted to do was to create a network of user generated content. It’s literally the exact same thing YouTube does. I mean, seriously. You put your video on YouTube, they help promote it to a larger audience you wouldn’t have been able to reach on their own, they get 55% of your revenue. You put your REACT video on the Fine Bros. portal, you use their assets, they promote it on their channel tp an audience you wouldn’t have been able to reach on their own, they get 30% of your revenue.

Like I said, I think the Fine Bros. do a great job of respecting other people’s content and making their own content around 50%-75% demographic interviews instead of just kids laughing at a video in the corner.

Yep, that part is the worst. We’ve had to seriously dance around that. You ever wonder why some of our videos feature screens of Bionicle or LEGO footage when we could have definitely used video? It’s because it’ll get caught by the algorithm, even though it’s part of a larger Autopsy/podcast/whatever that falls into critique and fair use.

That’s because it’s not a law. YouTube is a private company with their own terms as to what goes on their site. All the claiming/false claiming/etc. is their own policy, not enforced by law whatsoever. If anything, it’s to avoid the law showing up.

That’s what gets me. Their reputation is ruined over something perfectly normal in the business world, which a lot of people did not understand at all and just dogpiled on them without knowing anything about the situation.

The ads are my favorite part of Vessel. They’re 5 seconds long, at the most 15 seconds. Perfect. I can deal with those in front of my videos. I’ll totally watch an ad that’s 5 seconds to help my favorite creators out. 30 seconds? A minute? That gets annoying.

(ps: most of our ad revenue comes from early access subscribers. $3 a month literally helps us out way more than you could know).

Yeah, but there’s still people that haven’t discovered their content yet that will after a while. The internet will mob you and mob you in force, but they also have a really short memory. A year from now, we’ll mostly forget about the Fine Bros except in passing. Like Gamersgate.

3 Likes

YouTube is just horrible, vessel is better can we all agree on that.

It was a easier time for apple and machinima to get away with trademarking those, for at the time, people wasn’t getting PO at content ID, trademark and copyright.
If TheFineBros have done that back in 2012 they could had gotten away with it.

To take a quote from McGoiter “they’re ■■■■■■■ millionaires”
Digital Extremes don’t have money on there mind where they stop having Warframe free-to-play anymore and I don’t see PewDiePie trademarking something (and he the number 1 guy on youtube.)

The part where you talk about copyright and trademark, you basically took me out of context, because I’m talking about people who put “react” in the title. Also there was a guy name Elder who make video which he called Elder React and because of the FineBros, the guy channel is taken down and there was a youtube channel that was also taken down a month before TheFineBros made Elder react, which the youtuber was called stillcosmo who made Seniors React.
and Ellen you brought up, she probably didn’t know who the FineBros are, hell as you said “but there’s still people that haven’t discovered their content yet” and I’m pretty sure if the FineBros go to court they would easily lose.

Also another thing that I found out by Lewis Spears video, to order to sign up to react world you must “you have to sign over the management of your channel to t he FineBros” You basically giving them the ability to do everything on your channel, hell if your job is youtube then you are basically giving them your sole.

The only way Youtube and the FineBros would give a ■■■■ about you, me or anyone is when we have a big amount of subs, because there a lot of people making video, you really think just a share on facebook can do anything or mine and someone else video is going to be seen once on someone recommended page. You got to be delusional if you think youtube and FineBros care about the community.
Sorry but I’m going to be sticking with the share someone else video at the end of a video for free network that I joined about a week ago, which I’m now going to recommend 3 other people video now at the end of my video… by the way did I happen to mention that the network is free

3 Likes

In my opinion, YouTube has not being doing too well over the past year or so. You have things like

• Copyright claims
  • React World
  • Nicole Arbour vs Matthew Santoro (and fat people)
  • Lionmaker Studios and Yamimash underage relationships allegations

And the person who is making everything worse than it is:
Keemstar/Drama Alert

3 Likes

So the bros uploaded a new video, a regular video.
You see I understand that they made a mistake with react world and it’s fine, everyone can make a mistake like that, but the way they are handling the situation, as if nothing happened seems just rude towards everyone that followed them. The thing is that even though they appologized in tweeter or whatever people want a public apology in a video. To this point I think the hate is over the top, however the finebros aren’t doing a great job to appeal to the auddience after their mistake.

As far as comments go people are actually supporting them again, but in the end hate takes the win on their channel.

2 Likes

So the bros trademark the word “React” Correct, Could I trademark the word GIF, or is that all ready trademarked (you’d think it would be)?

Yeah, it also looks like the unsubs have really gone down, so they should hopefully be back to gaining subscribers in a few days. Hopefully they now know not to make a business decision like that ever again, or else they are going to be getting even more hate and backlash then they did for this announcement.

Oh don’t get me wrong I won’t sub to them again, and I believe the unsubs are well deserved to a certain point. Anyway this is one of the biggest dramas on youtube, and even if they manage to somehow appeal the audience again, most already lost faith in them and the internet doesn’t forget.

1 Like

I just think YouTube needs a little bit of reform in their copyright system. From what I’ve seen it’s not working so well.

4 Likes

Agreed, it is extremely flawed, prime example being IHE with the whole cool cat thing and his recent take-down. The worst thing is that him who actually puts effort into his vids, edits the movies and videos shown to properly use fair is taken down and channels like Tyrone, CJ and jinx are still allowed to upload their “hard work”

1 Like

Exactly. Even people like Nostalgia Critic are being heavily affected. Really, if YouTube is going to be a good service they need to support their viewers and content creators.

4 Likes

It seems as if they are only attacking people with good video, that have had effort put into them.

If youtube doesn’t get it’s act together soon they will loose a lot of Supporters… where they would go is beyond me though.

They are on whoever makes the most money side. They don’t care what type of bideos they are, if it makes em money they won’t care. These will eventually be the downfall of youtube.

1 Like

Yes it will.