2015 to 2016 Transition

How do you think the characters and their attributes will change from 2015 to 2016? Will they be given a reason for their changes in weapons and armor through the story, or will they just pull a Hero Factory?

1 Like

Could you elaborate on that? HF was not very good at storytelling, but it give us a reason on why the Heroes were upgraded: to defeat the Villians. Pretty simple but a reason it was nonetheless.

Anyway I think they will be given a reason. A likely theory I heard is that their Uniter armor was crafted by Ekimu to help them on their journey to find the MoCo.

5 Likes

There is no real story reason for that. But LEGO wants new toys to sell so the story has to change in according to that.

2 Likes

Actually, I’m rather certain that Kulta thrashed their armor in that last battle. Ekimu probably realized that they’ll need some better gear if they’re going to encounter more foes as strong, if not stronger, than Kulta.

Perhaps something similar to them becoming Toa Nuva, getting power through unknown, legendary means. Otherwise, maybe it’ll be a consequence of their now-bolstered elemental powers. Guess we’ll have to wait for Journey to One.

As much as I’d love to see a mystical thing for the Toa Uniters…

I feel the sets convey the Toa having hand-crafted armor, especially with all the Nuva symbols and words and stuff on the armor. Unless that is added by mystical means? I dunno, I just like the idea of Ekimu forging special armor for the Toa.

4 Likes

I like that idea too. That’s probably how it’ll go down, thinking about it.

1 Like

How did they explain the jump from Toa nova to Toa mistika/ phantoka?
I genuinely don’t know… But how did they do it? Maybe it’ll be like that.

1 Like

energized protodermis was how they went nuva

adaptive armor was how they went phantoka/mistaka

1 Like

I know how they went Nuva. What was the adaptive armor?

1 Like

stuff given to them by artakha, adapts to any environment, why they could fly

still doesn’t excuse them looking nothing like their previous selves, at least the 2016 sets actually looks similar to their 2015 counterparts and you can tell they’re the same character

1 Like

But we saw their armor and mask all fine after the animations, so no there is no story reason for it, rather they adapt the story for the toys.

1 Like

We see them after Ekimu fixed them up… With a pile of rather familiar looking armor parts in a bin right next to them.

I might add that there is such thing as a story bible. The sets are designed around what it outlines; they don’t just make a bunch of random sets and give them a story.

4 Likes

I am going to guess that Ekimu will have something to do with the changes in armor and weapons. Or who knows, maybe Ekimu has a son who has been hunting Umarak and he’ll lend the Toa a hand.

2 Likes

By pulling a Hero Factory I mean to have continuity changes on any scale for no reason whatsoever. As is shown on Hero Factory.

1 Like

Its because they plan everything ahead before you even see anything officially released. This is how every company works. But during development, it was always clear that they need to fabricate a situation where the Toa change their appearance in order to make another batch of Toys for the next years waves.

The fact that what TTV constantly reminds the fans that for LEGO “Sets come first, then the story.” should be proof enough why these seemingly unecessary changes are made in order to sell toys.

1 Like

First of all, it’s not “fabrication” if it’s justified and already conceptualized by the story team. Sure, it’s an upgrade that some fans didn’t necessarily find crucial or even warranted, but that doesn’t make it any less legitimate or instrumental in story terms.

As far as I’m aware, TTV uses that phrase in reference to whether or not Lego actually continues a line; not the literal process of developing one. The point they’re pushing is that lego is more interested in how well the theme is selling as toy line than it is as a story, but that doesn’t mean they don’t put effort into the story when the toy is doing well. Furthermore, that certainly doesn’t mean that they develop the toy without giving credence to the story or vice-versa.

Nuva changing?

1 Like

The hunter…
Will become…
The hunted?
…But which hunter is the hunter in this case?
:smirk:

I don’t think that’s the case. It’s Ekimu giving them new gear. I do wonder, though, how did the creatures appear then? Also, how did they lose their brand-new golden masks?

I was just guessing and speculating. I have no support for Ekimu having a son who is tracking down Umarak.