Adaptation - a story of Rukah's

Right now I’ve got three chapters written so here’s chapter 2:

Chapter 2
Nardus ran his sword across the sharpening stone. The blade hummed as bits of rust and small nicks were erased. He sighed. It was a comforting sound. A familiar voice called,
“Nardus! Come quick!” He looked up at this, then he looked over his blade one more time before starting off toward Suged’s room. Nardus opened the door, and walked in.
“What is it?” Nardus said as he approached him. Suged gestured to one of his surveillance cameras’ video feeds.
“Vacans are approaching.” Suged said simply. Nardus looked up at this. The screen showed a horde of the creatures shambling slowly toward their base. He sighed again. This could be a problem.
“Contact Wardi and Kekris.” Nardus told Suged, who nodded.
“Yes, sir.” He started punching buttons on his keyboard, and soon enough the two Yroi entered the room.
“What is it?” Kekris addressed Nardus. The swordsman gestured to Suged’s computer screen.
“Incoming Vacans.” He told her. “Prepare for battle.” Kekris nodded at this, and looked at Wardi, who also nodded understandingly.
“We’ll get our weapons ready.” Wardi replied to Nardus.
“Wait, where’s Vekra?” Suged asked. “That guy should’ve fixed the shield by now.”
“At last report he was scouting the tunnels underneath Srian.” Kekris replied. “Other than that we haven’t been able to locate him.”
Nardus frowned at the news. Vekra was an important member of their little resistance group. Not the bravest, but extremely loyal, Nardus would hate to have him get hurt. Vekra could have been trapped under rubble, or worse. The Srian tunnels weren’t known for their stability, having been built under a city after all. Considering this, he spoke.
“Hmmmm. Finding Vekra should be a priority, but we have other problems to be dealing with right now. Wardi, Kekris, you think you can take on that many Vacans?” Nardus addressed the two.
“Of course we can.” said Kekris confidently. Wardi, however, looked less sure.
“How many of them are there?” He asked Suged. The technological master replied,
“Based on these scans, about 18-20.” Wardi nodded, then turned to Nardus.
“Sir, I’m reasonably sure that our upgraded tools can help us hold off that few of the horde.” Nardus nodded back to him at this.
“I’ll come along as well.” he said. “Maybe we can learn something from this encounter.”
Suged looked at his leader, then said,
“Make sure all of you guys come back in one piece. Me and Trinos will hold this place together in the meantime. Good luck.”
At this, Nardus and his two companions departed for the surface. Suged watched them leave. Then he grabbed a walkie-talkie.
“Trinos, you there?” he said. The deep voice of Trinos replied back,
“Same as always.”
“Good. Kekris, Wardi, and Nardus have gone to the surface to fend off some approaching Vacans. We’ve gotta hold this place while they’re up there.”
“Got it.” was Trinos’ only reply. Suged smiled at this. He knew the stout Tainian would do his job. Now it was up to Kekris, Nardus, and Wardi to do theirs.

5 Likes

gettin good!

2 Likes

Chapter 3
The elevator hummed as it ascended. Inside, the three warriors prepared for battle.
“How many do you think I can take out this time?” Kekris joked as she hefted her sonic cannon.
“Hopefully enough.” was Wardi’s terse reply. He was always nervous just before a fight. He knew that his heat blaster was enough to fell two or three Vacans with just one shot, and it had a quick recharge time. But he still worried. Nardus said nothing. The others knew that their leader always had a silent ritual he always went through. When he was finished, he looked over his sword, and said to them,
“I’m ready as well. Surfacing in 5 seconds.” He looked at the heavily fortified doors of the elevator. Slowly they began to open. Once they had, the three rushed out and the elevator sunk back into the ground. Nardus looked around, then spotted the horde of creatures.
“There they are!” Kekris shouted. Some of the Vacans heard her and one snarled a challenge.
“Attack!” Nardus said, and the three rushed toward their enemy. In turn, the Vacans started crawling and shambling towards them, screeching and groaning all the way. Kekris readied her sonic cannon, aimed, and fired. Four of the approaching Vacans soon fell, overwhelmed by the assault of sound. Wardi shot the nearest one to him with his heat blaster, and as a result the creature’s armor became scorched and it sank to the ground as well. He checked to make sure that it was dead. Satisfied, he shot another one coming from the right.
Meanwhile, Nardus was carving a wake of destruction, his sword a spinning circle of light. Two of the creatures hurled themselves at him, one scratching his shoulder armor. He turned but Wardi had already stopped the Vacans using his heat blaster. Kekris again fired her devastating sonic cannon and another trio of the creatures fell to its crushing power. Finding an opportunity, three of the creatures jumped onto the cannon, pinning it to the ground. Kekris grunted as the weight of the Vacans forced it out of her grasp.
“Could use a little help over here!” she shouted.
“Coming!” Wardi replied as he gunned down another Vacan. The three creatures were now trying to tackle Kekris, but the agile Yroi jumped out of the way. Wardi aimed his blaster at the one closest, and it fell to the ground, its armor burned. One of the other ones noticed him and raked its claws across his chestplate, causing him to shout in pain.
The creature smiled a twisted smile, but that was all it had time left to do as Nardus came crashing in and smashed into it with his blade, knocking it over. It snarled at him, but then Kekris regained her grip on the sonic cannon, blasting it and two others. Wardi looked around. Of the original group, only about half a dozen remained. Despite being clearly outmatched, the six screeched and charged at Nardus, Wardi, and Kekris. They were met by a blast of heat, a sonic attack and Nardus’ sword.
“I think that’s all of them.” Nardus said as he ran the last one through with his sword. He was breathing heavily and he paused to rest for a moment.
“Thanks for saving me back there.” Kekris said to Wardi, putting her hand on his shoulder. The tall Yroi blushed and replied,
“Oh, it was nothing. Nardus was the real hero. He smashed away the one that attacked me.”
“Is everyone okay?” Nardus said. He nodded as the other two replied affirmatively. “Good.” Then he turned to view all the Vacan corpses and shivered. “Let’s get back to base.” He turned and walked to the hidden elevator, the other two following. He stomped his foot three times and after a few seconds, the elevator rose up. The three warriors entered, and then the elevator again sunk back into the ground.

4 Likes

I’m liking where this is going.

2 Likes

Ye, it’s pretty good so far

2 Likes

Chapter 4
After the elevator had gone, one of the fallen creatures picked itself up off the ground. It surveyed the area, noting the corpses of its fellow Vacans. It also noted where the hidden elevator had come from, and where it went. The Vacan smiled, then pulled out a communicator and switched it on. There was static for a few seconds, then a voice said,
“Report.” The Vacan considered, then spoke.
“After we approached, three of their little group came out of a hidden elevator and attacked. As usual they made short work of us, all but me are dead.”
“Couldn’t you have at least captured or killed one of them?” The mysterious voice on the other end said, clearly irritated.
“It’s not very easy with soldiers like these.” the creature replied, narrowing its purple eyes in annoyance. “You need more like me. Ones that are intelligent and not mindless.”
“We’re getting to that, you fool. What else did you learn?”
“Oh, yes. I now know the location of their elevator. With that, I could eventually find their base. I also know how to access the elevator.” The Vacan told him.
“Good work. You are at least successful, unlike your other brethren.” The voice replied. “Now, what is your designation again?”
“You should know that.” the Vacan replied, “It’s Dieron.”
“Ah yes. Now you must return to base.” the voice said, and then the communicator went static again, indicating that whoever was on the other end had signed off.
“That will be welcome.” Dieron said as he put the communicator back in his armor. Then he turned, and started the long trek back to where he had come from.

Nardus, Wardi and Kekris exited the elevator as the doors opened, returning to their hidden base. Suged welcomed them, then said,
“Did you see anything unusual out there?” Nardus looked to his companions. Kekris shook her head. Wardi said,
“No. All we saw was a bunch of Vacans.”
“Now that I think of it, one of them had purple eyes.” Nardus said. “I’ve never seen one like that before.” Suged considered this, then said.
“Did it act any differently from regular Vacans?”
“No.” Nardus replied. “It pretty much just did the same thing the rest were doing. Though it’s no matter, I dispatched it with my sword quickly enough.” Suged nodded.
“Good. Me and Trinos held this place together while you were gone. I’m sure you’re tired after all that fighting?” Suged said.
“Yeah, I’m famished too!” said Kekris, and they all laughed. Trinos, who had just entered the room, replied,
“Don’t worry guys. I just finished procuring another batch of donions. Here’s one for you, Nardus.” He threw a glowing donion at the leader of the group, who caught it and brought it to his mouth. Nardus sunk his metallic teeth into the succulent fruit, the juice flowing into his mouth.
“Mmmmm.” he said in pleasure, unable to say any more as his mouth was full of donion.
“Don’t we get some too?” Kekris said playfully.
“Sure.” was Trinos’ reply. He tossed two more of the fruits at her and Wardi. The two bit into them, feeling the energy-restoring power of the donions take effect.
“That’s a lot better.” Wardi said. “Thanks Trinos.”
“No problem.” the large donion farmer called. “Just doing my job.”

3 Likes

This is developing nicely.

2 Likes

Any specific part you like?

1 Like

I’m not sure if there’s anything I specifically enjoy about it, I’m just enjoying the story as a whole.

1 Like

Well there will be more to come :wink:

3 Likes

And here it is.
Chapter 5
Dieron raced across the barren landscape, his mission completed. He had gained the coordinates to the resistance group’s secret hideout, and now he was keen to get back to where he had come from. Kanar’s going to enjoy this, he thought as he ran and jumped over rocks and other obstacles, yes indeed.

The being known as Kanar was busy bending over one of his experiments. The result did not please him, as it was a ten-legged creature with snapping mandibles and a long tail. He gestured to his assistant, Verac.
“Get over here, you worthless pile of Trinan dung, and get rid of this failure!”
Verac shuffled over with a subservient look and grabbed up the failed experiment with his four arms, managing to wrestle it into submission. The creature did not take kindly to this and soon Verac’s armor had a few new bites and scratches, but Verac eventually managed to hurl it off the cliff which the lab was located on. Kanar listened to its screeches as it fell all the way to the ground, which was confirmed by a large thump. Verac then scuttled back into Kanar’s lab, resuming his submissive look. His master chuckled.
“That’s another bad dose,” Kanar looked over his notes one more time, then began mixing up another batch of Vacan venom when he heard a loud pounding in his lab’s door. Again, he gestured to his assistant.
“Verac, go see who it is.” he said. Verac walked over to the door and peeked through a tiny hole, then opened the door wide to reveal Dieron. The Vacan was breathing heavily, and he looked worn-out.
“Kanar…I’ve returned… with the information.” he managed to say. Kanar then put down his beakers and liquids and telekinetically grabbed a chair from his quarters for the Vacan to sit in. Dieron collapsed into it gratefully.
“I’ve figured out where their secret base is.” he said with a sly smile. Kanar scowled.
“I know that already, you dimrod.” he replied. “Now tell me where it is or you will become one of my experiments.”
“Calm down, big guy.” Dieron said slowly. He had no wish to be infected by that lunatic’s potions and venoms. “I’ll tell you.” Dieron held up his communicator and Kanar looked at its screen. He nodded.
“So that’s why we haven’t been able to find them until now.” he said. Dieron replied,
“Yes. The remains of the Srian magnetic power plant there had thrown off our scans.”
“Exactly.” Kanar replied. “I knew my investigation of that area would pay off. How many intelligent Vacans do we have left?” he asked Dieron.
“Oh, I’d say about 15 or 16. Including me, of course.” the Vacan said.
“Good.” Kanar said ominously. “You and those Vacans will lead another attack on their base. Don’t make yourselves obvious and use your new camouflage.” Dieron nodded.
“Of course. As you say.” he replied. The Vacan then left Kanar’s lab and headed off to tell his brothers about their new objective.

3 Likes

Here’s another chapter!
Chapter 6
Night began to fall upon the barren and rocky landscape. No one was around to see it, but what appeared to be a dark stain slowly moved across the ground. That stain was Dieron and his Vacan comrades, making their way towards the renegades’ base. They crept stealthily through the darkness, only their violet eyes giving them away from the shadows. Dieron smiled. This’ll be fun, he thought. That reminded him of something, and he said,

“We’re getting close, everyone. Switch on your stealth devices.” One by one, Dieron included, the Vacans began to disappear, only the sound of their footsteps betraying their presence.

Suged yawned as he checked his computer screen again. Out of all of them, he needed the least sleep, due to his Azurin physiology. As a result, he was put on night watch most of the time, and tonight was one of those nights. Trinos will probably relieve me tomorrow, he thought. Suged looked at his surveillance camera screens again. As usual, nothing was moving and all that was there were rock and the occasional sparse plant growth. He yawned again and sat back in his chair, trying to find a more comfortable position. But what he didn’t realize was the footprints appearing as if by magic into the ground on one of his monitors.

Dieron and his Vacan friends soon approached the same area where Nardus, Wardi, and Kekris had fought the other squad of the creatures. He looked around, then found the same spot where the sword-wielding leader of the team had stomped his foot. Dieron repeated the action, the sound of his foot hitting the ground echoing across the landscape.

Sure enough, the same elevator from before rose up out of the stony ground. The Vacans let out a quiet cheer of satisfaction, then stepped in.

Suged was in the middle of yet another boredom-induced stare at his screens when suddenly an alarm went off, startling him and making him fall out of his seat. After regaining his feet, he saw that a group of Vacans had somehow entered the base.

“Nardus! Wardi! Kekris! Trinos! Wake up! Vacans have infiltrated the hideout!” Suged repeated this call three more times, then grabbed a wooden staff from off the wall. He knew he wasn’t as good in combat as Nardus and the rest, but he needed to do something.

Just then, Nardus came running into the room, sword drawn. Noticing Suged brandishing his staff, he said,

“What’s going on? Where are the Vacans?”

“At the east entrance.” Suged replied. Nardus considered this, then said,

“Get the others. I’ll hold them off.” At that, Suged ran off towards the others’ rooms, shouting as he went. Meanwhile, Nardus ran in the opposite direction towards the east entrance and towards the elevator. The Vacans were piling out of it and the first was already rushing towards him. Nardus looked around the narrow corridor, and for the first time, he realized that all of these Vacans had purple eyes. Then he shouted a battle cry and started forward to engage in combat.

4 Likes

This is the Origin Of Zork but better
you are me but better

2 Likes

yeah but I just realized I’ve been really vague on describing the characters

3 Likes

Here’s another chapter:
Chapter 7
As Nardus started his attack on the invading group, two of the violet-eyed invaders stepped up to intercept him. He thrust his sword forward, into the chestplate of the closest. As it sank to the ground, the other Vacan seized an opportunity and raked its claws across his left arm. Nardus screamed out in pain as he struck the other Vacan down as well. He had just enough time to observe a new gash in his deep blue-colored shoulder armor as another Vacan landed a kick in his midsection, causing him to double over in agony. These Vacans don’t fight like regular ones, he thought, as two of them took advantage of his momentary weakness and knocked his sword out of his hand.
Before they could get any closer, Trinos smashed his way into the battle, carving through two Vacans with his shining battleaxe.
“You okay there, Nardus?” he asked as he crushed another’s skull with his axe.
“Not really.” Nardus replied. “Trinos, be careful, these Vacans don’t fight like regular ones–” He was cut off as another of the creatures landed a sharp right to his helmet, knocking him to the ground. More Vacans headed forward to finish him off, and then fell as Trinos knocked them aside with the flat of his blade, rendering them unconscious.
The surprise of the axe-wielding Tainian’s entrance into battle had worn off now, and two Vacans who had avoided his swings had grabbed onto the handle, wrestling with Trinos for control of the weapon. One of the Vacans hit him with two quick punches, not harming him but stunning him briefly.
“Suged! Where are the other two?!” he shouted as he was forced to let go of his axe. As if in response, a heat blast from Wardi fried a Vacan that was about to attack Trinos from behind.
“We’re right here.” Kekris said smoothly as she fired her sonic cannon and knocked out three more of the invading Vacans.
“Where’s Nardus?” Wardi inquired as he intercepted another creature with a swift kick.
“Down there.” Trinos replied, gesturing to their fallen leader. He let Wardi and Kekris hold off the invaders for a few more seconds as he grabbed Nardus and took him away from the battle, bringing him to the infirmary part of their base.
“Suged!” he called, and the tech-savvy Azurin appeared, looked over Nardus, and said,
“What happened to him? Usually a few Vacans are no match for him.”
“He said that they were different from normal ones,” Trinos replied, “that they fought differently. I could sure see the difference, after they stole my axe.”
“Right.” Suged replied. “I’ll get to work.” Suged doubled as their medic as well as their tech guy, and he began to get started on healing their leader.

Meanwhile, Wardi and his cousin had their hands full fending off the remaining creatures, constantly forced to give ground.
“What did they give these things?” Kekris asked as she blasted another Vacan into oblivion.
“Something that obviously has made them better fighters. And they work as a team.” Wardi replied as he swayed back to avoid a Vacan’s sweeping kick. Kekris, in a sudden flash of inspiration, used her cannon as a battering ram and knocked over two more of the creatures, but they soon got back up and came back at her again.
“We need to turn on our defenses.” she said. Wardi nodded.
“Trinos! Activate the security!” he shouted as the approaching Vacans threatened to overwhelm them.

2 Likes

noice

2 Likes

ok here you go
Chapter 8
Kanar stooped over his lab table, his concentration focused on the solution he was making. He added a few more drops of erastum, then a drop of triathinium, and smiled as the potion took on a metallic blue sheen. He called to his assistant.
“Verac!” Soon enough, the four-armed creature shuffled into the room. “Come with me.” Kanar continued. He grabbed the mixture, straightened up and began walking, Verac following close behind him. The two exited the lab area and walked down a long hallway, stopping at the end. Kanar looked at the barred door that was his destination, and then said,
“Entering.” As if by magic, a keypad appeared out of a slot in the wall, and Kanar pressed a sequence of buttons. The barred door opened, and the scientist and his assistant went into the room. Once inside, the door closed automatically.
“I see you’ve been successful.” The large guard known as Preztis said, his deep voice echoing off the walls.
“Indeed.” Kanar replied, then continued, “I need to see our prisoner.”
Preztis nodded, then pressed a hidden button on the wall. A rumbling sound was heard as the wall began to turn, revealing a platform with metal strips. There was someone on the platform, the strips binding him into place. He struggled to escape, even more so at the sight of Kanar and Verac.
“I’ve told him it’s pointless to struggle, but he doesn’t seem to get the idea.” Preztis said, leaning on the stone wall of the room. “I assume you’re here to change that?” he asked Kanar. The scientist nodded.
“Indeed.” he repeated, then turned to study the prisoner. He was short, about 4 feet high, and he was clad in dark blue and gray armor. Like most inhabitants of this world, he was more mechanical than organic, and his eyes glowed. Probably a Srian, Kanar thought, noting his stature.
“What’s his name?” he asked the guard. The heavily built Srrastani replied,
“Took me some time to figure that out, but I eventually broke through. As I always have. His name is Vekra.” Kanar nodded.
“As you’ve suspected, I’ve finally perfected my mixture.” he said to Preztis. “I am now ready to administer it.” He said the last few words with a devious smile on his face. Preztis nodded, and then backed away so that Kanar could do his work. Using his telekinetic powers, Kanar lifted the liquid from its container. Vekra’s eyes grew wide and he struggled even more, trying to escape before Kanar fed him his foul mixture, however he was unsuccessful and the potion was forced down his throat. Vekra coughed and spluttered, and his body began to spasm, but the liquid was already in him. Kanar smiled.
“It should take effect instantly.” he said. As he said this, Vekra’s spasms became less frequent, and his eyes were changing color from their characteristic bright green to the same metallic blue as the mixture had been. Kanar cackled with glee as he saw his success, while Verac and Preztis stood in the background, the guard watching with keen interest.
“Yes, it worked!” Kanar exclaimed. “Now it is time for a test. Vekra, can you hear me?” The Srian replied with,
“Yes,” in a flat monotone voice. Kanar’s grin grew wider as he realized that his mind control mixture had worked exactly the way he wanted it.
“Ahahahahha! Now he will do whatever I tell him to.” he bragged to Preztis. The Srrastani rolled his eyes, as he knew the scientist had a tendency to boast when his experiments turned out right.
“Good for you.” he replied sarcastically. Kanar glared at him, then said,
“You may not realize the implications of this, you thick-brained pile of Trinan droppings, but now I know that this mixture is the correct one. And I know just how to use it…”

3 Likes

very nice

2 Likes

a long-awaited return…
Chapter 9
Wardi shot another Vacan down with his heat blaster, only for it to get back up a few seconds later and launch itself at him, going directly for his throat. He and his cousin Kekris had been busy defending the eastern entrance from the creatures, but so far they had been ineffective as the attackers were a new, much more intelligent breed. Speaking of Kekris, she had resorted to hand-to-hand fighting, having dropped her heavy cannon in favor of her fists.
“You know, now would be a good time for help—” Wardi began, but his breath was forced from him as the Vacan on top of him kicked him in the stomach.
“I’m kinda busy over here!” Kekris replied hurriedly. She had her hands full, dueling three Vacans at once. Kekris clearly had the upper hand, but she knew she couldn’t last much longer at the claws of the creatures. Wardi threw his attacker off, managing to regain his feet as he threw a roundhouse punch at the thing. To his surprise, the creature expertly parried it and headbutted him, sending him to the ground once again. Wardi’s head was ringing from the blow and he barely managed to roll to the side as another Vacan slashed at the ground where he had just been a moment before.
Suddenly, a loud beeping sound was heard. Kekris and Wardi both sighed with relief, as they knew that that meant that their large friend Trinos had activated their base’s security. Kekris then brought down the three attackers with a sweeping kick, then grabbed her cousin’s hand and dragged him behind a line.
Just then, the large virasteel door that made up most of their defenses slammed down, blocking the Vacans from further entry. One of the creatures managed to jump through the gap at the last second, but it let out a scream of pain as the metal door cut it in half, killing it instantly.
“Finally.” Kekris said as she sank to the ground, exhausted. “I thought we’d die before he made it.”
“Me too.” Wardi said. “That was probably the second worst battle I’ve ever been in.” Then he sat up, noticing the upper half of the Vacan corpse. He looked it over, then said,
“Hmm. Maybe Suged could look this thing over.” Just then, the Azurin medic walked in, immediately taking in the two Yroi’s condition.
“Well, there he is.” Kekris commented snarkily. Suged then noticed the fallen Vacan.
“Here I am.” he said, his tone neutral. “Hmm. I’ve got Nardus fixed up and now it seems I’ve got to do the same for you to.” He smiled. “Don’t worry. I’ll have you feeling better in no time.” Wardi grinned.
“How could I ever doubt you, oh great Suged?” he said jokingly. The medic chuckled, then turned to the Vacan half that was still in the room.
“Hmmm.” he said, “I should study this. Maybe I could find out something.” He looked at the two Yroi. “Come on, let’s get you two to the medical bay.”
Reluctantly, Kekris and Wardi got up and stumbled towards Suged’s medical bay, the Azurin supporting them. Trinos then came into the room, took one look at the two battered warriors and immediately took over for Suged, bringing the two into the medical bay, where Nardus was waiting.
“Good job.” he said with a nod of his head. “You managed to keep the Vacans at bay long enough for Trinos to block them off.”
“Yep.” was Kekris’ reply. “Took a lot out of us though.” She grunted with pain as she was eased onto a bed. Nardus smiled.
“Suged’ll have you mended in no time.” he said. Then his expression turned serious. “We may have to consider finding another base.”

3 Likes

another long-awaited return…
Chapter 10
“What?!” exclaimed Trinos and Kekris.
“That can’t be.” said Wardi weakly. Just then, a sound of metal slamming onto metal came from the direction of the eastern entrance. Nardus gestured toward the noise and said,
“Well, there’s your reason. Those Vacans’ll just keep pounding until they get in.”
“But we can’t just retreat!” Kekris said defiantly as she attempted to rise from her medical bed.
“Easy.” Suged said. “I’m about as irritated as you are, but you need to stay still so that the medicine can take effect.” The medic held up a long needle, and Kekris flinched at the sight of it.
“You’re not gonna shoot me with that, are you?” she said even though she already knew the answer.
“I’m afraid I am.” Suged replied, his voice weary. “So just stay as still as you can and it’ll be over in a moment.” Kekris shut her eyes tight and replied,
“Just do it.” The Azurin medic nodded and, as carefully as he could, he slowly angled the needle to a point between the Yroi’s armor plates, aiming for the organic tissue underneath. Kekris felt a searing pain, but it lasted just a moment, as Suged had already withdrawn his empty syringe. He was busy cleaning it out, and he was as thorough as possible.
“Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?” Suged said in his best reassuring voice. It didn’t help that the pounding noise from before had started again, this time with greater intensity.
“I guess not.” Kekris said.
“It should work pretty quickly, so you’ll be up and about in no time.” Suged replied, with satisfaction in his voice. Nardus picked up on the tone in his voice and said,
“You’re the one who originally came up with this chemical mixture, right?” The medic nodded.
“Yes I was. Came up with it in the wonderful medical university of Triasial.” Suged had a faraway look on his face as he looked back at the memory. Then he shook his head. “Anyway, it should be all finished with by now.” he told Kekris.
The Yroi nodded. Already, she felt much better than she had since the fight. She tested her limbs experimentally, flexing her muscles to make sure they had no cramps. Kekris nodded, satisfied. Then she said to Suged,
“Thanks Suged. You’re the best.” She blushed a little as she said this, then jumped out of the bed and onto her feet. Just then, a loud crashing sound was heard as the Vacans had finally broken in.
“That’s not good.” Nardus said. He gestured to his large Tainian companion. “Trinos, with me.” He nodded as Trinos activated his gauntlets, forming what looked like large metal gloves on his hands.
“I’ve had just about enough of these Vacans,” he growled, “it’s time to get physical.” The two rushed off, leaving Suged alone with the two Yroi cousins. Suged looked at Wardi, then gestured to the bed.
“You’re next.” he said with a warm smile.

Trinos and his leader had made it to the eastern entrance, or what was left of it. Somehow, the Vacans had managed to puncture the formidable virasteel door. Speaking of Vacans, Nardus and Trinos were locked in combat with them. Trinos grinned as two of the creatures fell to a sweep of his mighty fists. Nardus was busy hacking and stabbing at them with his blade. Despite their best efforts, they were very clearly outnumbered and outmatched, as for every Vacan they felled, two more came to take their place. One of the creatures said,
“This is taking too long.” and sprang at Trinos’ face. Caught unaware, the Tainian warrior was knocked down. Nardus’ eyes widened as he heard the creature speak.
“You-you speak?!” he exclaimed. The creature turned to him and said,
“Yes.” in a deadpan voice before lunging at Nardus. He dodged the jump and the Vacan slammed into the wall, but quickly recovered. Meanwhile, Trinos was having his own problems as he was being swarmed by the rest of the Vacans.
“Nardus, HELP!” He shouted as he felt them tearing at his armor, unable to do anything as he was pinned by the creatures. Nardus started forward to assist, but his way was blocked by the remaining Vacans, who dodged his sword strokes and lashed out at him with their claws. He grunted, but held onto his weapon. Trinos was still screaming for help, but Nardus could do nothing but watch forlornly as his friend was carried off, unable to get past the Vacans.

3 Likes