Alternate Primary Colors for Ko-Matoran?

Got another question for the best and brightest Bionicle fans. Aside from the established canonical colors for a Ko-Matoran to normally wear, what would you think an acceptable addition would be as a primary color? Based off what I remember there are Ko-Matoran that have White, Light and Dark Gray, Light and Sand Blue, and finally Black as primary colors.

5 Likes

I would imagine that any sort of blue, especially trans-blue would be acceptable. I could also imagine dark green could be a good color, along with white as a secondary color - like a snow-covered pine tree. Possibly a light purple/pink could even look good.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, there are no “established” canon colours for any of the six original Elements; while there’s a ton of empirical evidence for what those colour schemes are, there’s no established list that either mandates or excludes any colours.

For the sake of your question, though, the list you gave is consistent with what’s been shown, though other shades of blue were present in the Matoran of Metru Nui/Mata Nui.

Honestly, though, I’m pretty happy with how the Ice colour scheme looks right now; grayscale + blue is a pretty “icy” palette. If anything, I would remove black, or at least downgrade it to a secondary or tertiary colour (honestly, if it were up to me, I’d made black a universal tertiary colour for all the Elements).

If I absolutely had to add a colour, though, purple and cyan are pretty consistent with the blue colour scheme (if you even consider cyan to be different from blue in the first place; any shade of blue would be fine, as long as it’s secondary to the white/grayscale parts).

4 Likes

Some Aurora inspired colours would be funny.

2 Likes

The metallic blue that is used for Kualus’s armor would have been a nice color to have seen wider usage from Lego into Bionicle

5 Likes

In my opinion, most shades of green work well on ice characters as long as it’s not the dominant color

5 Likes

Minty fresh! Honestly, I was thinking maybe a trans-light blue could work as a primary color but it would be excessively difficult to make.

2 Likes

For Light Blue I guess you are refering to Medium Blue (Gali secondary color). I don’t think that color has been stablished in any Ko-Matoran. Templar animations showed Ko-Matoran with light blue, but Matoro was shown with that color, and we know he was Sand Blue, so my guess is that all those Ko-Matoran were also Sand Blue.

I have a theory that Black isn’t a “canonical” Ko-Matoran color. Sure, we see Pakastaa and Talvi with “black”, but I belive that in reality is dark grey. Dark grey is a Ko-Matoran color since Kopeke has that color, but we don’t see any other Ko-Matoran with that color, why would be Kopeke so unique? (Kopeke Av-Matoran confirmed), and in MNOG2 he was miscolored as Light Gray, so we don’t have a good comparison for Dark Gray in a Ko-Matoran.
But hey, that’s just a theory, a BIONICLE theory.

But Medium Blue and Black are acceptable for a Ko-Matoran.

2 Likes

I think trans orange works very good with white. I saw a Toa of Ice MOC somewhere that used the Ice Planet color scheme (white, blue, black and trans-orange) and it looked great.

4 Likes

Ah yes, the classic Ice Planet 2002 color scheme! Although for that, trans-orange is more of a highlight than a primary color.

1 Like