Art of Bota Nui [Ilani (in progress)]

Nice art, the sparkling crystals, outline of the body and the eyes work really well.

2 Likes

Thanks all :grin:

The weapons of the rich, they are :slight_smile:

I must admit I’m not familiar with this “Freeza”… who’s that?

More of them?

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Dragon Ball Z character-

1 Like

Gem Brass knuckles, we are in the future Ladies and Gentlemen.

1 Like

Wow, you are a great artist!!

1 Like

Lineart for the second Toa: Garta.

Garta’s a Toa of Water and the team’s leader, more due to his actions and demonstrated abilities as a Matoran than any will on his part command others. A staunch proponent of the “if you want something done right, do it yourself” approach, he finds it quite difficult to trust others to do their jobs without constant monitoring or interference and would prefer to strike out on his own instead whenever possible. Quiet and distant in demeanor, he venerates the truth above anyone’s feelings about it and often comes off as crude because of it, but one would be wrong to conclude that his blunt personality is the product of a dull mind; possessing great intellect by any standard, Garta’s ability to quickly analyze situations and formulate strategies for dealing with them make him a more natural leader than he’d comfortably admit to. This shows through in his battle style as well; lightly armored and armed with a short spear and shield, he relies extensively on mobility, careful positioning and the exploitation of any vulnerability displayed or mistake made by an opponent to get the upper hand. He wears a somewhat streamlined Kanohi Komau, a mask whose abilities underline his at times “intellectually domineering” personality even if he’s not that keen on using them.

12 Likes

This art is really cool, my dude

But i have to say it:

H E R E S Y
######unless there’s an in-story explanation

why do I always try using the boards at night
it never ends well

2 Likes

There’s an explanation here:

1 Like

Finally finished the Garta picture:
http://orig09.deviantart.net/8e30/f/2017/045/c/f/bota_nui__toa_garta_by_scorpion_strike-daz1nls.png

This one took forever and a half… figuring out the lighting of a sunrise is tricky when you hardly ever see one :grin:. I shot for a rocky shoreline with early morning fog just retreating at sunrise.

Garta’s a Toa of Water and the team’s leader, more due to his actions and demonstrated abilities as a Matoran than any will on his part command others. A staunch proponent of the “if you want something done right, do it yourself” approach, he finds it quite difficult to trust others to do their jobs without constant monitoring or interference and would prefer to, when possible, strike out on his own instead. Quiet and distant in demeanor, he venerates the truth above anyone’s feelings about it and often comes off as crude because of it. However, one would be wrong to assume that his blunt personality is the product of a dull mind; possessing great intellect by any standard, Garta’s ability to quickly analyze situations and formulate strategies for dealing with them make him a more natural leader than he’d readily admit to. This shows through in his battle style as well; lightly armored and armed with a short spear and shield, he relies extensively on mobility, careful positioning and the exploitation of any vulnerability displayed or mistake made by an opponent to get the upper hand. He wears a somewhat streamlined Kanohi Komau, a mask whose abilities underline his at times “intellectually domineering” personality even if he’s not that keen on using them.

13 Likes

Moving now into some rarer elements, next up is the Toa of Sonics, Scorzen. Pretty much unrecognizable from the self-moc that he started out as almost three years ago, but hey, I’ve finally done a half-decent picture of him.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/36c9/f/2017/051/d/6/bota_nui__toa_scorzen_by_scorpion_strike-dazuet6.png

Though all of Bota Nui’s new Toa had their fears, doubts, and questions about the role they’d apparently been ‘chosen’ to perform, none were as apprehensive about the affair as Scorzen. Originally a De-Matoran shunned by the others in his tribe due to his passion for music, he made a living doing odd jobs in Gal Rui. Though he worked hard at these jobs, it barely paid the bills and Scorzen was never able to shake the feeling that his exile from his tribe and the reason for said exile meant he was somehow inferior, failed, defective. Why would a failed Matoran be chosen to become a Toa? That’s the question that’s plagued the new Toa of Sonics’ mind ever since the transformation, and due to it he’s by far the most hesitant of the team to exercise his powers in any capacity; it’s simply more than he ever bargained for and he fears the consequences of losing control of it or using it improperly. However, nervous disposition and lack of confidence aside, Scorzen’s much more capable than he gives himself credit for. His mask, the Kanohi Crast, is for the moment free of the stigma associated with it in the old world and versatile in its abilities. Being a Toa of Sonics has provided him with keen senses, through which he is often the first to alert the team of danger. His transformation into a Toa also transformed his favored instrument, a horn-like contraption called a sonitone, into a weapon capable of firing devastating sonic blasts over significant distances; just as well as Scorzen’s not exactly eager to get closer and into the fray. In spite of his doubts and often grim outlook, he takes being a Toa seriously and his quiet, introverted nature and utter devotion to whatever task is at hand have at least earned him Garta’s respect, even if he doesn’t feel deserving of it.

6 Likes

Another Toa of a rare element in the works: Tykal, the Toa of Iron.

Scorzen’s friend and former roommate (hutmate?), Tykal was an aspiring inventor, albeit one whose inventions had never really caught on. Still, it was more interesting to him than his day-job of making and doing maintenance on tools used by Bo-Matoran farmers. Honest and hard-working, he’s got a more difficult past than he’s willing to tell others about, though in effect his body does it for him: he spent his early years in the mines where he was subjected part-time to an early version of the protodermic cycling scheme that was introduced in full shortly after he left. Though the effects that this had on his body were nowhere near as pronounced as they are on Po-, Fe- and some Ba-Matoran coming of age today, Tykal was still rather small in stature compared to most Matoran and now compared to the other Toa. He packs a lot of strength and armor onto his frame, though, and his elemental power lets him ■■■■■ his armor about to some extent to make it all the more effective. It also makes him the only one able to use his particular choice of weapon: two iron ingots on a stick, which in combat he shapes into whatever tool he believes will be most useful for the engagement. Though not antisocial by nature, his background of working in the mines has left him with some very entrenched views of certain tribes that make it very difficult for him to work with one other Toa in particular. After years of being dismissed as an oddball or crackpot, he’s also overly eager to prove himself a worthy Toa, which at times can make him ignore danger or even relish the possibility of it rather more than is healthy.

7 Likes

Tykal finished at last…
http://pre08.deviantart.net/c9cf/th/pre/f/2017/086/b/5/bota_nui__toa_tykal_by_scorpion_strike-db3slir.png

8 Likes

I really, really admire your art! It’s just so perfect, I can’t even begin to put into words how amazing it is. Really, I hope to one day be as good an artist as you. Do you plan on doing more Toa?

1 Like

Thank you :grin:. The standard Toa team includes six, so there’s at least two more coming in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what’s in store.

1 Like

Alrighty, in-progress #5.

To the Matoran of Bota Nui, Ilani’s something of an enigma. A solitary hunter on the plains of Su-Wahi, the only part of the ‘civilized’ world that she regularly interacts with is Su-Nuva, which is little more than an outback trading post. Yet she’s also got a taste for rather fine clothing as a symbol of wealth and status, kept in impeccable condition in spite of her rough-and-tumble lifestyle. And that’s only the start; physically, there’s always been something off in appearance about the Vo-Matoran turned Toa of Lightning; an unusually large mouth and toothy grin, a significantly stronger physique than that of a normally lithe Vo-Matoran, and some swear that they’ve seen her armor change color… Ilani has done much to keep her true identity a secret; she never was a Vo-Matoran and now isn’t a Toa of Lightning either, and in the eyes of many probably wouldn’t even be a Matoran or Toa at all if they knew the truth. Ilani’s design is, in fact, half-Skakdi, and her element is Light. The Skakdi and Matoran were never really on friendly terms back on Spherus Magna, and there’s no other Av-Matoran at all on Bota Nui; past experience had already caused Ilani to mark herself as an outcast, and post-transport she’s taken care to avoid unnecessary contact with the rest of the Matoran as much as possible. This made her the only one of the ‘chosen’ Matoran on Bota Nui who actively didn’t want to become a Toa at all, who wanted to avoid the spotlight as much as possible, but at the same time she was pretty much the only Matoran available who had any combat training and experience in handling a weapon; much as she hates it, this team needs her, and to that end she was effectively blackmailed into to becoming a Toa. Though her skill and ferocity make her a very dangerous and very valuable fighter, she’s not sure how much longer she can keep her identity a secret, especially when her elemental powers, which she has been careful not to use too much, don’t really resemble Lightning at all to anyone in the know about the Lightning. Instead, she’s relying on her swords (now effectively lightsabers, though she’s passed them off as ‘lightning blades’ for now) and a wide assortment of throwing knives whose effectiveness is greatly enhanced by her Kanohi Sanok. Through it all, she’s keeping up a confident, stoic facade occasionally punctuated by sarcastic commentary and grudgingly trains the other Toa in the art of combat; the way she sees it, the stronger the team, the faster they’ll solve the crisis at hand. When that day comes, she’ll at last be free to leave Matoran society behind again…

2 Likes

I love her design already, especially her Kanohi and how it relates to her combat abilities, as well as her backstory. I also like that she has a “toothy grin” and half-Skakdi as that’s was I imagined looking at the set version of the Sanok. The markings are really cool as well, and for some reason her robes remind me of a Hawaiian ■■■■■. Can’t wait to see it colored!

2 Likes

…and Ilani’s finished. Just one more to go and the Team’ll be complete!

http://img03.deviantart.net/dec1/i/2017/099/6/e/bota_nui__toa_ilani_by_scorpion_strike-db5a5dx.png

edit: apparently, after a certain amount of time the title of a topic and the content of the OP can’t be edited anymore… I guess I’m going to have to come up with a better way to keep this stuff organized.

8 Likes

I love the coat and the swords on this one.

1 Like