Artakha, Spirit of the Forge (BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Cutting it close, but I’m not passing up an opportunity like this!
Entry Photo:

I present to you my take on Artakha.

Behind the build:
Some of you might remember my original version of this guy from a while ago. While I regrettably cannot do a similar photo shoot, much of the initial design here is the same as before, save for color changes and a few piece changes to adhere to the contest rules.

Just like before, the MOC is equipped with semi-realistic waist articulation, as well as shoulder articulation. The new hands make for wonderfully poseable fingers and more expressive poses!

My initial design process began with a breakdown of iconic “titan builds” throughout Bionicle’s history. What parts made them stand out? What builds could tie back to the most ancient or powerful sources?

Funny enough, it was the Maxilos robot that struck me with the biggest “ahah”. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the big red robot was simply a titan-build Tahu, with deliberate design choice to replicate the look of an armored Toa Mata torso. With the Maxilos robots and Toa Mata both having been created by Artakha, I couldn’t help but to think “Perhaps he used himself as a template?” So I created a modified Maxilos torso, added armor shells and translucent elements for depth, and the rest fell into place from there. The translucent neon orange elements for the eyes, part of the head construction, and internal torso were elements I chose due to my thoughts of Artakha personifying the very forges he tends to, alight with burning energy and molten potential!

I did my best to use as many G1-related parts as possible to make the build feel more like something we would see alongside other builds from the G1 time period. I am certainly rather fond of those G2 Uniter armor shells, though–they fit right in!

(POV: You’re about to get hammered.)

“Behold… My stuff!”

Warhammer

This was a simpler build focused less on the looks of the handle and more the looks and functionality of the head. The rear of the tail can fire a zamor sphere or similar projectile, and the design of the handle allows the weapon to hang comfortably on the MOC’s back (without him falling over!).

Work Hammer

This one had more aesthetic intent behind it. The chain allows for it to be stowed on the MOC’s hip via stud connection.

Assorted Tools

Small detail hammer, buzz saw, pick, and a clamp–perfect tools for a crafter who frequents metals and fine details.

“Just one last thing…”

Size Comparison

Extra Pictures

Internal Breakdown
20200922_2142281

BONUS!

Original mask for the MOC, but unfortunately DQ-worthy since it uses two colors of paint–while it is what I would have liked for it to look like, it is, ultimately, still a placeholder.

I’ve seen a lot of great entries out there. Regardless of who wins or loses, I’m glad that this contest can inspire the minds and hearts of those MOCing or just wanting to see some cool stuff. See you all in the polls, and I wish my fellow contestants the best of luck!

38 Likes

Hello. Yes is this the Based Department? It is? Fantastic I’ve been trying to get through for 3 weeks.

There he is, congrats on finally getting him done. Looks great dude, best of luck friendo!

-Solaris Magnus

4 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll see you in the polls!

3 Likes

Yay, he made it! He’s looking better than ever man, good job!

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I love it! Good job!

1 Like

The monster! He ripped Tahu’s face off!

This is really good! I like the proportions. It’s very solid!

2 Likes