Artakha the Ruler (Meet the Maker Contest entry)

So here is my entry.

I don’t really have to say a lot this time , since I didn’t chance much in the original MOC. Except for 2 things: added gradation to the color, as a nod to the Karzahni set, and changed the mask to give the artwork some of my own design. Most of the symbols are some made up ornaments (vaguely based on Aztec patterns), used as a stand in for Glatorian language and/or ornaments, since they also had some geometric shapes associated with their culture.

So, yeah, hope you enjoy my entry and good luck to the other contestants!

[update] Had to remove the lime torso gradation to comply to the rules.

54 Likes

That artwork is really hot. Not too keen on the mask but this is extremely well drawn! Good job!

4 Likes

The spikes on the mask make him look like a steampunk gundam.

3 Likes

Very impressive drawing skills! The slightly different proportions and armor designs, as well as the organic details looks really cool.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the greebling, and the shading on the pearl dark grey parts is spot on. The mask design is by far one of my favorites.

2 Likes

The sheer amount of detail is simply staggering! I love it!

1 Like

I thought this was very fitting for an artwork like this

I like the art btw

9 Likes

Lol, man, this is gold xD

1 Like

I was already dead-set on which entry I would be voting for, but at the same time I still browse every art topic to see if anything comparable comes up. This hasn’t taken the top spot, but

good

gravy

This artstyle is the BOMB. The shading for the gunmetal gives Artakha such a cinematic appearance, and the stylizing of a lot of the design elements really changes the design from lax grand creator of the doodads to somewhat misshapen master of creation, with significantly more power up his sleeve than he shows. The one complaint is that I’ve never been a fan of specific muscle-y bits in canon designs, but that’s minor compared to how excellent this piece is.

Even as I’m writing this post I’m debating on whether or not this will take my top spot. Absolutely incredible work, man.

2 Likes

Well, Dude, It absolutely warms my heart to read such kind words about my art c:
Really glad You (and all other people who had time to write something about it here) mostly enjoy it as much as you do.

2 Likes

Hey,

This is a fantastic entry and I thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, in its current state, we can’t accept it. While the gradation you have added is a very cool effect and does successfully pay homage to Karzahni, it does cause the art to come into conflict with rule 4e and the broader color guidelines:

Because the upper part of the entry features strong gradation, it causes the appearance of lime green to be quite prominent and serves as a departure from the color scheme of the MoC. As such, we can’t accept the artwork in its current form unless the gradation is removed.

If you could recolor the torso and arm shading to match the shading featured on the legs, that would be more than sufficient. My intention was to make this post earlier in the day so you had ample time to make corrections, but I opted to wait three hours to seek advice from our other moderators before making the call. As such, since that’s my bad, you’re going to get an extra three hours to make the necessary fixes. You have until 3 AM Eastern time.

Very sorry for the inconvenience; thank you for creating such an incredible piece of art, and I look forward to seeing the altered version!

1 Like

Allright, thanks for notifying me. I’ll change it as soon as possible.

[Edit] Fixed the color.

I’m not a huge fan of the mask, but the rest of this is absolutely fantastic.

This goes farther than any official (or unofficial, for that matter) Bionicle art towards showing both the ‘bio’ and ‘mechanical’ parts of their anatomy.

I have never seen anyone put so much emphasis on something mechanical, such as pistons, while also drawing the muscles. Usually it’s just one or the other.

If this wins, it would be a big step forward in shedding some light on the mystery that is Bionicle anatomy.

1 Like

Yeah, one of big parts in drawing Bionicles for me, personally, is the exploration of the combination of mechanical and organic aspects of their physiology, and trying to draw it in a way so it looks like it could work as a living mechanism of some sorts.
Glad you enjoy my interpretation c:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh. It’s… it’s… glorious. He’s the ultimate lifeform. Yes yes yes. I would canonize that image in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Do you have an Insta? This is amazing!

I have a Deviantart gallery if you are interested.

2 Likes

I’ve given you a follow :smiley: you have some really nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks, Im glad you like it c:

2 Likes