Barraki, Mahri-Nui - ART ART ART! [Worldbuilding] [Pitch] [Art] [Character]

I mean yeah, you couldn’t have 6 random Matoran whose names all happened to end in -rahk so changing that was more needed than what I’m suggesting for the Barraki. You could say it boils down to personal taste, but I still think that it’s odd that the same region is home to people like Onua, Nuparu and Bomonga and then someone called Mantax. It really breaks it for me, especially since G3 is putting so much effort in giving each region its very own culture.

3 Likes

When you say it that way it bothers me a lot more. Maybe they take up new names after becoming warlords, to separate themselves from their ‘inferior’ kin?

2 Likes

That could work, actually, to show that they are “different” from the folk, in an almost alien way. This was very common practice in ancient times but it’s still prevalent in some cultures. Think European royals, who dressed (and still dress) in odd and colourful ways so show that they aren’t like “normal people”. Or the flamboyant and colourful rulers of Ancient China.
For the ones with a poor background like Kalmah and Takadox, this could be especially powerful, as if it implied that “I’m not like that anymore. I’m not weak, I’m not poor, I’m a ruler now”.

4 Likes

Maybe Nocturn could be made feral and uncontrollable, making him the most dangerous of the Barraki?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for this amaizing discussion!
I agree with the names, Jayzor’s solution being the Best in my opinion.

3 Likes

Huge new update!

• Edited some of the Mahri Nui history
  • Edited Geography (Previously Structure) to be better loooking+more informations added
  • Added 2 new locations
  • Revamped Culture and Religion section
  • Added Sports and Events section
  • Added Organizations section
  • Added Matorans section
  • Added 13 completely new Matorans!

Please, check it out! If you want to know the exact changes, look to the edits (The pencil on the top right of the thread)

I will upload these matorans to the Matoran Ideas thread, so they might eventually get their own pictures. :3

Thanks for reading this!

EDIT:

New update!

• Shortened and simplified the Barraki section
  • This was made to make it simpler to read
  • removed the Barraki minifigure pictures
  • done to make the thread simpler and more organized
  • Changed the backstory a bit for Takadox, and very much for Mantax! Check it out!

WHAT IS TO COME

• Rahi section with sevelar brainstorming Ideas!
  • Planned set Ideas (though they will most likely come out later rather than sooner)
  • Inclusion of the Toa Kanohi into the pitch

I would like to know your opinion on the idea of the Barraki losing what they value the most, which was purposed above in post 83

Please, continue this discussion!

3 Likes

This thread is really fleshing out well! Nice addition of the Toa Kanohi :wink:

2 Likes

I was thinking about one huge change.

Excluding Karzahni out of this storyline.

I am more and more starting to think that having Karzahni himself on the ocean floor near Mahri Nui works less and less. I was instead thinking of moving him to a completely separate island, somewhere else.

This could work much better with this pitch, where we could see the introduction of Skakdi and Vortixx to the story. Aswell as having the nightmarish and horrorous landscape that was the island of Karzahni in G1. (I mean, ground that changes you into a statue if you sit down, ice volcanoes… That’s some dark stuff…)

We still could have some danger around, like the Zyglak or some of Karzahni’s mad creations, with the Barraki aswell.

That could also make Karzahni much more accessible for Voriki in her story, just go on an island of nightmares, not dive underwater and swim sevelar kilometres to the ocean floor.

_

I feel we truly need an official, canon map. Some of the threads have died down, we will be soon getting the story bible, with it, hopefully a canon map of the island, (at least the different regions and where they are located, please.) so we can start adding these little areas.

One thing that G1 had problem with was that almost every year (or second year) we got a new island to explore, and we did not get enough time to see it whole. That is why Mata Nui had such great spots and everything named on it but sadly, it wasn’t enough, as there were a dozen other islands with some ritch lore to explore, and we did not get to care about them as much.

We could have different islands like Karzahni, Daxia or Odina, but please, make them only little islands around Artakha, a part of an island chain or something, so we are enritching the island we know and (will) love- Artakha.

Alright. I have two completely unrelated pitches in my head right now, and I’d like to write them down soon. Also, I was thinking of one more thing:

Changing Mahri Nui to a simpler name, Mahria?

TTV complained that Mata Nui was too weird of a name, made of two words. So I wanted to know your opinion on shortening the name of this location aswell. Mahria? Mahraia?

Tell me!

_

Thank you for reading this update, I sure want to hear your opinions!

4 Likes

Maybe just the island of Mahri? I think the name restriction applies to islands, too, so it would be better to use the first part of the name than to come up with something new.

3 Likes

I thought it was pretty cool.

3 Likes

@jayzor17 Excellent suggestion!

@Ace I did not say it wasn’t. I thought it was fascinating!

3 Likes

When drawing the barraki, are they in their present forms or are they unmutated?

2 Likes

There could be a comparison between the original and mutated forms

3 Likes

Agreed! It would be interesting to see their transformation!

Oh, btw, 100th replies! Yay!

3 Likes

What mask should Kalmah have?

Right now I’m using a Kakama.

3 Likes

Maybe Kiril, since Kalmah had limited regeneration

1 Like

Ya too late son. I cant turn back from where I am right now.

Maybe Ill redesign him sometime.

1 Like

Whoah! I cannot believe you are actually drawing the Barraki!

I never thought about the masks they would wear, but I feel I could see kalmah with either kakama or kiril, but Pakari could work aswell.

3 Likes

Okay, King Kalmah’s finished.

Will probably take a while for The Current Kalmah to be done, so here’s a sneak peek.

And I’ve finished the figure (Tell me what I should change)

And a comparison.

~Levva

7 Likes

Those arms are really short…

Everything else is pretty good though, maybe have a fancier crown?

3 Likes