BIONICLE Canon Contest #1 - The First, Part 2 - by Oomatu [Version 3]

Updated to version 3. Just a couple cosmetic mask alterations and fixes to the concept design.

oh. okay. Lemme scrap my entry real quick.

4 Likes

I see a lot of people praising this artwork, and rightfully so - I think it is wonderfully made, clearly a lot of skill and talent went into this. I also very much like the mask concept, it’s my 2nd favourite so far (rigfht behind dinx’s entry), I always imagined this Kanohi with some sort of crest or areolae, so I’m glad to see a depiction reflecting that.

However, my biggest complain (other than Helryx not looking very “ancient” or “frail” here, as I said before), is that I don’t think it’s a very good “representative” picture of Helryx. She is mostly obscured by the shadow here, it’s kinda hard to make out the details or even see clearly what color she is. I would see this as an “additional” artwork, something to be put somewhere in the wiki article with a caption “Helryx on the beach” or something along those lines, not something I would put right up there in the infobox to be the first thing to see (granted, some of the choices what to put in the infoboxes on BS01 have been rather… peculiar). Also, I will boycott hunchback Helryx til the end of my days :stuck_out_tongue:

One more thing, it’s not really a big issue but it kinda bothers me how the mace is cropped on the side :sweat_smile:

Sorry if I sound overly negative, just wanted to voice my thoughts. It is still beautifully made nonetheless. Best of luck in the contest.

4 Likes

Neat scratches above the eye!

I can’t agree with you. The details are pretty clear to the point that you’re able to see the piston on the chest, the axle holes on the thigh, the fingers on both hands and so on. And you surely can tell what color she is by shinguards at least.

She is just stooped.

3 Likes

I’d say most of your complaints aside from lighting and composition are with the moc, which I did try to faithfully represent.

3 Likes

As it currently stands, this is by far my favourite entry from a purely artistic standpoint. The environment, texturing, colour palette… everything’s absolutely stunning. Might or might not get my final vote only because there are a couple more liberal designs I might prefer, but that is not to say I don’t like this one. It manages to remain very faithful to the build while also improving on it. Nice work!

4 Likes

Judging on the design, would the hose actually fit inside the mask or would it fit through a gap? The hole seems a little small.

Edit: shoot! Has it really been a year since the Helryx contest?