BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker, Part 2 (Art)

I made that artwork freehand, therefore the comment that I traced the photo is incorrect.

2 Likes

Oops! Sorry for making the assumption. :wink:

1 Like

Apology accepted :slight_smile: thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, that was said.

What are you asking here?

EDIT: Are you asking if another colour could be added, like gold?

In that case, the Artakha recolouring rule is irrelevant. That only applies to green → sand green changes.

The addition of other colours would be covered in the general rules.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that the mask CAN be recoloured.

@Eljay

What does this mean? ‘sand grey’? Was it meant to say sand green?

And does this mean that the Art can still recolour him to a different shade of gray-green?

It was a typo. It was meant to be sand green.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Meet the Maker: Entry List

1. Is Artakha’s green Mata Green (Lewa’s green), Metru Green (Matau’s green), or lime green (Lewa Nuva 2008’s green)?
  2. None of the three. His armor is described as gray-green – that’s the actual color, it’s not green plus a secondary color of gray. It’s gray-green, the color, like blue-green is a color.

The moc is more gunmetal grey than actual grey/sand-green, look at the quote, it is only greygreen. If we go for accuracy of Greg’s own description, the artworks should/could recolor the gunmetal grey on the moc into sand/grey-green, and the rules should allow that.

2 Likes

Yep, no one had a problem with my Miramax style entry:

I was a bit surprised that I was the only one who used that style.

I should also note that my entry changed up the proportions of the winning MOC, yet was still allowed in the contest. Just something to keep in mind.

4 Likes

I think gold runes could work alright on Artakha, and it would give him Almec’s regal color palette, but I’m open to other interpretations and the mask could be gold in the end. Regardless, it would be nice if the winning runes were made into stickers so people may add them on to their replicas.
Looking forward to all the cool art!

10 Likes

The recolouring rule was only introduced because sand green is a relatively rare Lego colour.

Also, that quote never says that gray-green is his only colour. The part you have highlighted is specifying that grey-green is a single shade, and not a combination of two colours. It doesn’t mean that he does not have a second colour. He can still have gray-green with a secondary colour of gray, that quote just means that grey-green is a uniform shade.

Basically no characters have single-colour armour, yet they are only ever described by their primary colour.

For example, Tahu is only ever referred to as being red, but he still has orange on his armour.

Besides, gunmetal grey is a fairly generic ‘metal’ colour, so it would be overlooked for any other colour when describing him. You wouldn’t call Tahu Mistika ‘the red and silver Toa’.

8 Likes

[insert thousands of butthurt Mistika haters here]

In all seriousness, I agree 100% with you. No character is completely monochromatic.

6 Likes

Except Kapura.

There’s probably a few others from MNOG and MNOG II, but Kapura is the only relevant character that I can remember being a single colour.

6 Likes

I will be inserting this here in case anyone wanted to draw the current mask on the winning MOC. This thread will have plenty of updates for more 3D renders and artwork of solely the mask itself.

maskofcreation3
Happy Drawing!

8 Likes

Where do I find the Mask of Creation of these modelers? I only know the Mask Maker one on the MOC

1 Like

Galva’s Mask of Creation is here:

The rest of them I do not know if they have their own version.

3 Likes

Ancient is described as “powerful figure in blue and gold armor”.
Lhikan is described as being red and gold.
Brutaka is described as being “clad in blue and gold armor”
Takanuva Mistika - “I had grown in size and my armor color had changed from white and gold to white and grey.”

And there are probably more examples.

I wish this entry had more green or that the rules permitted to recolor the grey parts. Its just not green enough to described him as only gray green.

2 Likes

Are those descriptions from the books/serials, or did you get them off BS01? Those characters are also all notable for wearing… gold. The winning Artakha is gunmetal, not gold.

1 Like

Ancient, Lhikan, Brutaka from the books. Takanuva from the blog on BS01.
Takanuva describes himself as having white and GREY.
Hmm maybe its only gold that is worth of mentioning as a secondary color. I havent noticed that. I cant recall now if other colors are mentioned in the books.

So are we saying that the Artakha cant have his mask in gold color?

Ok i found something

Pohatu describes Kopaka as silver and white figure when they first meet.

In short story “Hope” Axonn is described as red and silver

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Hawkeye

The first description was written by Cathy Hapka rather than Greg Farshtey and “Hope” was a fan story that got canonized. Regardless, I do understand your point.

As for Artakha’s mask, I feel like a gold Legendary Kanohi seems like a default option that doesn’t even need describing, and additionally the mask is not usually considered a part of a character’s armor (see: the Hagah receiving metallic armor “and Kanohi”), but I won’t mind overmuch if the mask isn’t gold.

1 Like

Your post sure gave me a good laugh, @Keplers.:rofl: :+1:
Can’t guarantee I’ll be doing it, though.

2 Likes