BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

@Eljay

Here is my formal entry for the Meet the Maker contest!

Breakdown photos, design process, and color-palette explanations in post. Additional breakdown photos can be taken and provided upon request.

Submission photos are provided below in the following order: Front, Side, Back, Entry Photo.

I would like to emphasize that the palette of this submission ought be re-interpreted as largely sand-green in the art portion of the competition. This entry is meant to be a physical foundation for artists to get the color palette just right later. The pieces simply don’t exist for a mostly sand-green build. In accordance with the contest rules, there are only two shades of green present: sand-green, with transluscent crystal green acting as an accent. White pieces ought to be regarded as sand-green for artist’s interpretation later.

Credit to KhingK for the Mask of Creation design, which I truly hope ends up becoming the canon mask regardless of MOC winner. I purchased this print from KhingK’s Shapeways store Forge of the Mask Makers.

Happy forging for all the other participants! Looking forward to the awesome competition!

2 Likes

uhhhh hope im doing this right, linking my topic entry here is the right way to link it here correct?
https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/artakha-meeting-the-maker-canon-contest-2-meet-the-maker/55563

2 Likes

Here’s mine: Artakha, The Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

4 Likes

I’m considering maybe participating in the art portion this time. I felt like I was late to the Helryx contest and just ended up being there to enjoy the ride. This time however, I feel like I wanna show off some of my skill in the second half when it gets to that point, and plus, I’ve never done this before and it could be really fun.

Best of luck to the mocers out there!

7 Likes

Here’s my entry!

8 Likes

@Eljay some questions on the green rules:

1. Can the shade of green be olive green (the color of chi cragger’s hands)? I know many people interpret gray-green as olive green, so would, say, a Metru green/olive green moc be allowed?
  2. Does it apply to the hammer? I.e. if someone makes a Metru green moc with light green bohrok eyes on the hammer?

No.

We’re playing this by a case-by-case basis. So it’s not being prohibited as of now, but if it adds too much to that color, we may ask it to be changed.

here is my moc!

https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/canonization-contest-2-meet-the-maker-artakha-the-creator/55572/9

1 Like

Tell me again, why do we need an art contest and can’t just set Mask of Creation from g2 as Artakha’s mask?

Part of BS01’s rules, they require an artwork be made even if it were to be the G2 one canonically
and…

If we’re already drawing him, we might as well have some fun with his mask, right?

Because that is a mask from G2 and those universes are not the same.

1 Like

The G2 Mask of Creation doesn’t really fit the description, either.

3 Likes

Good point, however, I’m pretty sure we aren’t allowed to simply draw Ekimu’s mask.

But g2 has Hau, Akaku, Pakari and Kakama. Even though they look slightly different and don’t have the same names, they are clearly the same masks. I mean, it’s a reboot of the same franchise, it’s completely normal if some things are the same between the two.

How so? I see patterns and unusual design, angular and pointed eyeholes also. Everything match.

3 Likes

True, but I’d see the physical difference between Hau, Akaku, Pakari, Kakama, Kaukau, and Miru between G1 and G2 as reason enough to say they’d canonically have different appearances.

That being said, if Artakha becomes canonically Sand-Green and Gold, I don’t think it’d be hard to substitute Ekimu’s for Artakha’s :wink:

1 Like

Similar, yes, that’s the point.

Identical? No.

Tahu’s Mask of Fire in G2 cannot create a shield around its user, nor can Pohatu’s Mask of Stone provide him with great speed. And while you can take inspiration from G2’s interpretation of new things (such as how KhingK took inspiration from the Mask of Creation for his own G1 variation), you cannot copy it over and call it G1.

3 Likes

BioSector01 says this about the patterns:
The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe.
The G2 Mask of Creation only has runes specific to Okoto. The winning Mask of Creation needs to have a variety of patterns on it. It’s like a wearable Rosetta Stone - not that it has words written on it, but that it represents different cultures through its patterns.

5 Likes

I have some toughts

1. Altought the mask of Creations of G2 it’s a great final design, it mainly fits its Universe, in the reboot, the Okoto Storyline, it even has his own language that was introduce in the second era and brought some words that could be read in the crown of the mask of Creation, that’s why putting like It’s from the G1 it doesn’t fit at all, some questions may be about it like if It’s introduce like: Where does that language come from? It’s agori? Another variant of another language of the MU or something that the great beings could only recognized? It opens to many questions to the G1 storyline that potentially complicate more the story.

2. Also It’s seems intricate that the G1 mask could represent all the many cultures that flourished in the Universe since we only know at least 8 species which only 7 have names, we don’t know the species each one of the barraki, Brutaka, Axonn,some agents form the OMN, and a lot of Dark hunters members, some storylines I read they were called big Rahis but that seems out of place, so It’s a challenge making a mask that has that specifications.

3. I had the idea that maybe the mask could have in some way the Matoran language in some sections and the names of some of the cultures that were given names, like matorans, makutas, vortixx, and all that, we know also that it had ornaments that were refered also as part of the creation of the universe.

Ok, we imagine that there are not only those runes, but also different other forms of written languages. Just as we did with Toa Inika’s heads glow or Toa Mata’s hands, because the mask is still a lego piece with its limitations.

Why? What’s the reason behind the need of inventing a wheel instead of using a great existing design?

1 Like

I can’t speak for Ghid, but the G2 version of the Mask of Creation is essentially just the helmet(s) of Hero Factory’s Breez, but with a crown. It is practically twice removed from the aesthetic themeing and look of what a G1 version would have looked like, if we received it back in the day.

1 Like

someone please confirm me if this goes here:

my entry for the Meet the Maker contest

2 Likes