BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Similar, yes, that’s the point.

Identical? No.

Tahu’s Mask of Fire in G2 cannot create a shield around its user, nor can Pohatu’s Mask of Stone provide him with great speed. And while you can take inspiration from G2’s interpretation of new things (such as how KhingK took inspiration from the Mask of Creation for his own G1 variation), you cannot copy it over and call it G1.

3 Likes

BioSector01 says this about the patterns:
The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe.
The G2 Mask of Creation only has runes specific to Okoto. The winning Mask of Creation needs to have a variety of patterns on it. It’s like a wearable Rosetta Stone - not that it has words written on it, but that it represents different cultures through its patterns.

5 Likes

I have some toughts

1. Altought the mask of Creations of G2 it’s a great final design, it mainly fits its Universe, in the reboot, the Okoto Storyline, it even has his own language that was introduce in the second era and brought some words that could be read in the crown of the mask of Creation, that’s why putting like It’s from the G1 it doesn’t fit at all, some questions may be about it like if It’s introduce like: Where does that language come from? It’s agori? Another variant of another language of the MU or something that the great beings could only recognized? It opens to many questions to the G1 storyline that potentially complicate more the story.

2. Also It’s seems intricate that the G1 mask could represent all the many cultures that flourished in the Universe since we only know at least 8 species which only 7 have names, we don’t know the species each one of the barraki, Brutaka, Axonn,some agents form the OMN, and a lot of Dark hunters members, some storylines I read they were called big Rahis but that seems out of place, so It’s a challenge making a mask that has that specifications.

3. I had the idea that maybe the mask could have in some way the Matoran language in some sections and the names of some of the cultures that were given names, like matorans, makutas, vortixx, and all that, we know also that it had ornaments that were refered also as part of the creation of the universe.

Ok, we imagine that there are not only those runes, but also different other forms of written languages. Just as we did with Toa Inika’s heads glow or Toa Mata’s hands, because the mask is still a lego piece with its limitations.

Why? What’s the reason behind the need of inventing a wheel instead of using a great existing design?

1 Like

I can’t speak for Ghid, but the G2 version of the Mask of Creation is essentially just the helmet(s) of Hero Factory’s Breez, but with a crown. It is practically twice removed from the aesthetic themeing and look of what a G1 version would have looked like, if we received it back in the day.

1 Like

someone please confirm me if this goes here:

my entry for the Meet the Maker contest

2 Likes

Or we just y’know

Make another mask and don’t have to make everyone mad by inserting G2 language into Bionicle G1 canon

Because said great design isn’t a G1 design.

Because said great design is in a completely separate universe.

Because people at Biosector will cut you to ribbons if you add a G2 exclusive mask into G1’s canon retroactively.

And because last I checked, those who reinvented the wheel created the rotopad.

Bingo, this is where it goes.

6 Likes

@ MoCreation discussion. The only real issue I see is the runes present on the G2 design. If that (and possibly the eyes???) was adjusted, it’d work. As far as I am aware however, the G2 is not prohibited from being used in the art contest.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I’m understanding what has officially been said it is up to the winner of the art contest to decide whether or not the G2 mask is the G1 design as well, rather than the G2 MoCr being veto’d into the canon version.

If you have issue with that mask design being canonized, don’t vote for art that uses it. If you want that design canonized, draw Artakha wearing it once the time comes and/or vote for an art piece that uses it. Simple as that.

It isn’t a G1 design at the present, and should not be veto’d into one. Doesn’t mean it can’t be made into one through the system.

7 Likes

Tell that to the people, who canonized generic rifles in Bionicle.

It’s a reboot, with some of the same characters. It’s already not completely separate. And what is “g1 design” anyway?

Then we need a clear rule about modifying the carvings, but not necessarily the mask itself.

u wot m8

Since when has Bionicle had realistic firearms?

I think he’s referring to the Xian weapons contest.

Not sure what you’re referring to here. Lightstone rifles? Those aren’t that generic at all?

Perhaps. And we’ll wait and see for what they do for the rules once the art contest comes up, however I think the point has been made at this point so if it wasn’t already, it will likely be considered. They will certainly make sure it adheres to the description from RoS, I wouldn’t be too worried there.

2 Likes

Those aren’t really ‘realistic’ at all.

I found another thing about the G2 mask, If the community agrees that it is the G1 version after the Art contest, then the moc that wins will have to redesign the neck and joint for the head piece, make it a little big longer on the neck ruining maybe in someway the construction of the build, depending on who wins.

Also, If it wins, then maybe a simple solution can be make G2 mask of creation 3D printed but with an axle instead of the other kind of connection.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of making the art what’s canon. You’re not canonizing the physical piece/model, just the artistic design.

3 Likes

Simple.

This is the G2 mask of fire. It was made after Bionicle G1 ended and is a Bionicle-specific piece; it is not a G1 design.

32505|nullxnull

This is the G1 Kanohi Hau, Great Mask of Shielding. It was made at the beginning of Bionicle G1 and is a Bionicle-specific piece; it is a G1 design.

There. That’s should explain it for you. It shouldn’t be considered as much as a Hero Factory helmet shouldn’t be considered.

Can you enter a model with it? sure. But while many fans are “fine” with having that as the definitive mask, I’m sure many more would prefer a different one if given the opportunity.

3 Likes

That’s the point of the voting.

And why shouldn’t a Hero Factory helmet be considered? Those are Lego pieces as well. And there isn’t even a requirement that the mask needs to be a Lego piece.

You could say that the Hero Factory helmets have a different aesthetic, but you could also say that about basically every mask that was submitted in the Helryx Art Contest.

The voting is here to iron out these problems. I don’t think any limitations should be put on what parts can or cannot be canonized as Kanohi.

1 Like

You’re misinterpreting me. Hehe_Hoho claimed it was fine for the G2 mask to be accepted as the standard G1 mask and will likely push for it in the contest; this produces severe continuity and canon issues which most artists would avoid by removing the Okotan text across the front of the mask.

I’ve dodged saying it directly because I know the response will be “but it’s just some engravings, they don’t matter” or as was already said “we can pretend they’re something else”. Well for the folks at Biosector, that’s a no go. The text on the mask is Okotan, and no amount of pretending will change what’s already there.

My statement about the Hero Factory masks is that they, just like G2 mask designs, are not G1 canon and should not be treated as such without first going through the contest.

3 Likes

I know what’s from original and what’s from reboot. What’s so different between these masks’ designs? Curved and angular? There are plenty of angular masks in original.

Generic doesn’t mean realistic.

Inika’s launchers were original. Rifles with butt and grips are generic as hell. There was also a typical pew-pew laser blaster there.

1 Like

But they’re not generic either. I’d say a gold and green laser gun that shoots glowing rocks out of it is anything but generic.

1 Like