BIONICLE: Fallen Legends

I’ve had an idea for a while to write a story explaining how the Matoran Civil War happened. This is because I think it is one of the major events in the timeline besides the main story that hasn’t been fleshed out but has lots of potential. I also always wanted to explore the world building and societal structure in great detail. This is only the prologue because I want to see how well it’s received before continuing. Hope you enjoy!

BIONICLE: Fallen Legends

Prologue

80,000 years ago

The Turaga of Metru Nui ascended the steps of the Coliseum rostrum, facing the tens of thousands of Matoran inhabitants under his care and guidance. His face illuminated on the telescreens displayed around the arena, exaggerating his despondent expression, which he could not hide.
“As many of you may be aware of”, the Turaga started, “trade in and out of the city has been scarce these past few months. The League of Six Kingdoms has been at war, interrupting the flow of commerce.”
He paused for a breath, with the deafening silence of concerned Matoran filling the Coliseum.
“But do not worry,” he assured, “for their war will be over soon, and our economy will continue as it always has.”
As he finished, the Turaga was met with applause from the Matoran, trusting in their elder’s encouraging words.

The Turaga trudged down the dark, empty halls of the Coliseum, with no sound other than the echoes of his footsteps. He approached a small, unassuming door, which opened automatically as he entered. Inside were six Matoran, one from each Metru, sitting around a table.
“That didn’t exactly go how I thought it would”, said Oromehi, the Chief Archivist.
“Would you rather they panic?”, the Turaga retorted. “With the fall of the League and their leaders banished, the economy is on the brink of collapse, and instead of keeping the peace as I appointed you for, you suggest chaos?”
“What he means, Turaga”, interjected Hagaki, head of one the best Ga-Matoran universities, “is that they deserve the truth, which they will discover with time anyway. Without the League, our trade routes with the rest of the universe are completely severed.”
“That’s a good thing,” interrupted Akasau, the Ta-Matoran leader, skilled in disk and mask making. “This is just the incentive we needed to push for Metru Nui produced goods, not imported ones. This will not only keep the economy from collapsing, but will return it to its glory from before the trade pact forced on us by the League!”
“Sure,” Lhopeke, an artisan Po-Matoran carver, jumped in, “Ta-Metru may thrive, but the rest of us? With demand significantly decreased, we now have surplus that we cannot sell.”
“Then perhaps try selling things of actual use, carver,” Akasau returned.
“Enough,” the Turaga blurted, raising his voice. “There are more things to worry about than your squabbles. I chose you six as my advisors because your fellow Matoran look up to you. Do not disappoint me, and most of all, do not disappoint them.”

10 Likes

Nice start!

Well written. I’m hooked.