BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

That is fair. But I would rather have it along with Artakha than not at all.

I agree with you there, but who’s to say that we will not eventually get a contest for it?

1 Like

From the various posts from TTV staff it didn’t seem too likely, but I would be all for it!
We will get the answer for the Staff of Artakha tommorow (presumably with the full rules?).

The rules are out.

No Staff allowed.

1 Like

Well… I did not expect such harsh restrictions. I still stand by everything I said for the Staff of Artakha.

1 Like

I’m moving over here. It doesn’t have to do with solely Artakha, of which the other topic should be just for Artakha

Here’s my problem, right? If someones protesting canon, they deal with it by making a headcanon. If they don’t want to make a headcanon, then it’s tough luck for them.

It’s not difficult to have a headcanon. If you want, say, Artakha to look entirely different, that doesn’t hamper anything. Recognizing canon but not believing it is so simple.

If y’all can think of an alternative solution to not liking the canon while not making a headcanon be my guest and discuss further, I’d love to hear it

This is looking a bit ahead (perhaps too far), but for the Art Portion of Artakha’s contest specifically, a decision may have to be made about the color of his mask.

We know that–at least by coincidence, but perhaps by design–both Legendary Masks whose appearances we are aware of (the Ignika and the Vahi) are gold by default, with the Vahi only turning orange due to rust, and the Ignika having its own color-changing system.

So, when we get to it, it will be worth considering whether the Mask of Creation should be gold–to remain consistent with the other Legendary Masks–or if it should break the trend and more closely match Artakha’s gray-green color-scheme. Personally, I think it should be gold for the sake of continuity, as it makes all three Legendary Masks consistent. However, this will naturally affect the artists who enter the contest, so it should probably be resolved before then.

2 Likes

super excited! I´m preparing for the art contest, good luck to everyone!

1 Like

I completely understand this, y’know? I’ve made my own Tuyet and Nidhiki, was going to make my own Lariska etc, but they’ll all be moot as soon as their contests end. I’ve felt disheartened over that. My Tuyet will likely be extremely different from the canon one, but I see mine as Tuyet, who might I add is my favorite character in the whole series.
I wanted my points to help people, I’m trying to tell everyone YOUR design is good enough for YOU, you don’t need to throw it out. These contests won’t be adding any story relevance to their features, all you have to do is recognize that others will think they look differently (which we’ve already been doing for a decade!)
I heard someone talk about Marendar having one or two eyes, right? There will likely never be a point where the number of eyes he has is actually relevant. If you hear someone say he has two eyes though, after you made yours have one, I find it easy to just say “oh right, theirs has two eyes” and move on.

I hope all that’s sensible :man_facepalming:

or even the point :thinking:

3 Likes

OR…

we leave it up to creative license please don’t kill me I’m too young to die
7 Likes

I’d like to make a case for a johmak contest, if new contests are to be added.

1. She had a speaking roll in the story
  2. She is not a Toa breaks up the run of 10 Toa contests.
  3. She has just enough description for creativity (Ebony armour, shield, helmet)
  4. We’ve had contests for order members before (Helryx, tobduk)
11 Likes

Well there’s one problem of doing a contest on Johmak, she’s invisible, since trans-clear pieces of BIONICLE and CCBS don’t exist, so how we have a contest about the character who is invisible most of all time.

You’re thinking of Jerbraz.
Jerbraz is invisible.

7 Likes

we should have a MOC contest for Jerbraz in all his handsome and dashing glory, but the art contest is for after he turned invisible.

7 Likes

that’s the kind of contest I can imagine myself winning.

8 Likes

Late thought: If Orde had an Iden, he could have used it to endure torture from the Dark Hunters by just leaving his body for periods of time.

From the Yesterday Quest:

“The Matoran escaped; ORDE didn’t. He was finally saved by the rest of his Toa team, but not before enduring days of interrogation. Only his strength of will had kept him sane.”

I’d say that that’s about as story-relevant of a power/reason as you can get.

4 Likes

wouldn’t that change the meaning of it do “by strength of will” to “by complete withdrawal”?

3 Likes

Kinda what I thought. Not to mention that any competent torturer (sorry, interrogator) would have removed such a mask prior the Very Friendly Chat™.

5 Likes

I mean, he could only go limp for so long before they figure out something is up. He’d have to face it at some point. He would have to use the mask to feign passing out, which would only work for so long.

And, if you are willing to twist Greg’s words a bit without contradicting them, you could argue that his massive willpower is what allowed him to gather his thoughts enough to use his Kanohi in such a situation. Because Greg has stated many, many times across various QandAs that some strength of will is required to operate Kanohi. So, in such a stressful situation, one would need exceptionally strong will to use a Kanohi, especially one as disorientating as the Iden.

@CalamitousT

It seems possible that the Iden is a relatively rare, unknown mask in the universe, so they may not have known what it did. Also, Dark Hunters don’t seems like the brightest bunch in general. There are some that are smart, but others that are dumb as a rock.

So if he only goes limp for brief periods of time before “regaining consciousness”, they may not even stop to think if anything is suspicious.

1 Like

How exactly do I submit mine once I’m done with it?

1 Like