BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I believe they don’t want anyone only submitting one or two votes per poll. It’s easier for their system if someone either submits a top three, or doesn’t vote at all.

I think the inability to remove a vote is intentional.

EDIT: Were you trying to only submit a top one or two, or did you mean to abstain from voting in that poll, and accidentally clicked on a vote?

1 Like

Don’t know if this is the place to ask but I’m logged in and every time I try to go to the polls it says it doesn’t exist or is private. Is this a glitch or is this one of the trust level things? Thanks in advance.

It’s a trust level thing.

I’ve voted in all polls. This is something I passed on for others though, who intended to abstain.

If you truly don’t want to have a second or third vote, and you “accidently” vote where you don’t want to, you could just change that vote for your top pick in the second or third ranking slots. That way, if your top pick doesn’t go through, your excess votes would be thrown out.

2 Likes

Really sad this one was disqualified.

1 Like

don’t worry, the toa nuva are here to help

19 Likes

The top three from each poll move on, correct?

Obviously the official results for this round are yet to come in, but I can make some educated guesses about who it will be from the raw results.

And I can honestly say that I would be completely satisfied with a vast majority of those entries winning the contest. This will be a very high-caliber second round.

3 Likes

Quoting Eljay’s text at the top of every poll:

We will take the top four (4) entries from these polls to move forward to the next three (3) polls.

So 36 Artakhas are moving on to the next round.

1 Like

yes, exactly

I probably should have seen that. Thank you.

1 Like

After closing and having gone through the various posts and comments on the polls, in my humble opinion, it might be wise for each creation for future canon contests to be anonymous. Some comments / votes are appearances exclusively for creators and not creations. In addition, some posts are quite hateful and counterproductive …

I think by adding rules on MOC anonymity (to make a post anonymous, I have no idea how this works, but if it is possible for forum members to do so, it can calm things down) :

• No leaks on other networks (to remain anonymous, but saying that you are participating is allowed)
  • If anonymity is broken, disqualification
  • Remove the fact that we can put a comment
  • And only during the voting phase to discover the different MOCs (always under cover of anonymity)

I know this sounds drastic, but I think anonymity can allow different people to avoid hate comments and vote issues / disputes

This is only my opinion, and needs to be debated

5 Likes

I quite like that idea tbh, but I don’t really see it happening.

4 Likes

yeah, me neither. I mean, they way that the boards and the contests are set up make it so that you have to know exactly who did what. If there was a way to do this, I would be all for it, but it just couldn’t happen.

2 Likes

It’s not that there’s no way to do it - it could just be as simple as entering your build through DMs with the admins - but I don’t think very many people would be supportive of it.

4 Likes

yeah. Also,what about people like conner hoffman, who have youtube channels and share their Mocs that way? How would that work?

They might just be forced to wait until after the contest to share their entries.

3 Likes

I’m going to preface this by saying you’re not the first one to suggest this.

The idea of forced anonymity falls apart because of three immutable facts:

A: People are always going to vote for their friends and/or individuals they know. It is not our responsibility to police why people vote as long as they do so in good faith. Enforcing anonymity also does not preclude knowledge of who an entry belongs to, as some individuals have very distinct Moccing styles and/or have shared in progress pictures prior to the contests.
B: These contests run on the basis of no small amount of good faith from the community. Anonymizing entrants and having everything occur through back channels would work, but only in the most perfect of circumstances, and would more than anything lead to no small level of distrust and a valid questioning of the integrity of the contests.
C: Enforcement is impossible. Your friend knows about your moc, so he mentions to another friend which one is yours. Suddenly everyone knows which moc belongs to whom. Are we to disqualify an entrant just because anyone knows what their entry is? And more to the point, we cannot enforce anything off the boards - there are too many communities, dozens of discord servers with hundreds of subservers and groups. We could mandate anonymity, but it would be functionally impossible to enforce fairly.

The fact of the matter is that we are in control of a small corner of a massive fandom. We are able to administer the contests via the forums and keep an eye on them for tampering or evidence of brigading and take action accordingly, however we cannot enforce our rules against violations that occur elsewhere. It has never been an option that interests us.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, people will always vote for people they know. I think looking at the first round of voting and going “This is broken because people voted for their friends over the Mocs” is a bit of a jump because, well, we had 115 entries and only 36 will be moving forward to the second bracket. As far as I’m concerned, when the numbers are that high, vote for whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

As for individuals comments and getting heated in the poll topics, that is an issue entirely separate from the contests and is handled via Board Rules just as it would be handled anywhere else on the Forums.

I would agree with anonymizing the contests if they were being judged, but as it stands a public vote requires public knowledge of the entrants - whether you vote for or against someone because you know them and not because of what they built is a side-effect of having the polls be public.

~Hawkeye

10 Likes

When will the next round of polls start?

I find that voting for whomever you want, on the simple idea that you know a person is not “fair” for all other creators. Some have huge Youtube channels and some are “hiding in the shadows” when they are excellent. And unfortunately, even though they are excellent or talented, they CAN be penalized not on their build which is perfectly what one would expect, but on the simple fact that no one knows it.
It is especially this point. Because all forums and other networks, active people know each other “more or less”.

But I totally understand the fact that this is very difficult, and I’m glad I got a response and my post was able to be discussed.

1 Like