BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Again, where do you draw the line on what is “similar”

Both the CCBS forearm and the Metru forearm are 5 studs long. They are both roughly forearm-shaped. I would give that a check. Same goes for the upper legs and upper arms.

The feet are even more similar; the overall shaping is nearly identical. That’s a definite check from me.

Also, I don’t think the head should even be on the list, since it depends on what Kanohi/mask you are giving it, rather than any intentional aesthetic choice.

1 Like

I still argue it’s a bit too high up, but credit where it’s due: you did what I claimed was impossible. You win this one.

Still, I’m sure there’s something you can do with a custom torso that the metru piece simply won’t allow for…

1 Like

There definitely is. Colour, for one. A custom torso allows you to achieve colour blocking that is unattainable with the standard Metru torso.

1 Like

I only give it a full point if it’s actually the same. Partial credit if it’s similar.

But all right, I agree that the ccbs foot does kinda resemble a Metru foot. I’ll be very generous and give it 3/5 credit for that. That raises the score to 1.8/7. That’s still only 26%.

That’s what I said at first, and then @SirKeksalot said it was super important.

And the torso is enough. Again, have you SEEN what people make for Metru March? See: metru march | Tumblr

Some builds here only meet 2 or 3 of your criteria. Kodiak even has a Zaria MOC that’s absolutely a Metru build in function, but only has the head and torso:

And again: WHY does switching out pieces that have the exact same functionality of those in a normal Metru build disqualify a build as Metru? I’m asking for practical reasons here, not just “oh this uses a different piece.”

That is the exact opposite of what I said.

My entire point is that the head SHOULD be something you can swap, but that everything else should be as well.

4 Likes

So I’m curious as to the general opinion of this. Would this be considered a Metru build?

This is a prototype of a custom design I made a year or so ago. I tried to match the metru proportions as much as possible. I’m wondering how you all would answer the question “where is the line between metru build and not metru build when it comes to custom builds”, and where would this fall for you?

7 Likes

That’s not a metru build since there’s no metru torso but it probably lines up closer to one than my Zaria according to Racie’s garbage criteria. The torso matters more than some arms and legs that people probably aren’t even going to use. I can come up with a design that resembles an inika build but that doesn’t automatically make it an inika build. Come on.

2 Likes

I’d say a definite Metru Build

I would say it’s technically a Metru build in appearance, but without a gear function it’s only skin-deep. It’s more practical to consider it a unique build.

2 Likes

From a MOC perspective: no, that is not a Metru build.

From an appearance perspective: yes, that is a Metru build.

And since this is an appearance contest, rather than a MOC contest, I’d say you’d be good.

If the winning MOCs were to be made official, they would have to have the Metru torso piece in order to be considered Metru builds; any hypothetical “official MOC” of a Toa Hagah has to be a Metru build.

But these MOCs aren’t official, only their appearances are. So only their appearance needs to match that of a Metru build, which I would say this MOC does.

1 Like

Functionality == build.

If functionality is the criteria, then tahu master is a Metru build, because he has all the same posability and the same gear function.

All right, I’ll rate this Zaria using my scale:

Torso? Check.
Head? Well, I can’t see it, but I’ll take your word that it’s a Metru head, so check.
Upper arms? Different shoulder armour, so I give it a 3/4 check like I did the hagah.
Lower arms? Nope.
Upper legs? This is hard to quantify, but I’ll say it’s similar enough to merit a quarter point.
Lower legs? I’ll be very generous and give it a fifth point because it kinda looks like a Metru leg.
Feet? See above.

So that comes out to a 3.4/7. Not halfway, but more Metru than my 1.8. I’m not sure if I would call it Metru build or not, tbh.

It’s a 6.5/7 by my criteria. So yes.

LOL. How is a moc that doesn’t use the metru torso closer to a metru build than mine? What a joke.

2 Likes

Makes very little sense to me :confused:

4 Likes

He…doesn’t, though. His arms are posable and his gearbox works differently, and he doesn’t look a thing like a Metru build, which is a very important point we’ve been stressing all this time.

You far underestimated how different Zaria here is from the Toa Metru. Only the head and torso are the exact same. Nothing else uses the same pieces. And why bother assigning exact numerical values to something totally subjective? You’re just rating your feelings, not the build.

This is a sign that your criteria are nonsensical and impractical. This build would score about 6 if it used an Inika torso by your reasoning.

1 Like

Is this a metru build?

1 Like

People out there really be using maths to define what is and isn’t a Metru build :woman_facepalming:

@Racie02 I’d go a step further and add another point for armor attachment. If upper leg armor attaches via a pin, like in Toa Metru’s case, the build should get a point. If it attaches via a different method, for example an axle, it should not be considered a Metru build.

Oh and also the brainstalk can only be the longer variant, not the shorter one used from 2007 onwards. After all, it didn’t exist back in 2004, so shouldn’t be considered part of a Metru build (not to mention using a black axle instead of red).

2 Likes

Hewkiim.PNG

Metru build:
Head: yes
Torso: just the pelvis
Upper Arms: no
Lower Arms: no
Upper Legs: yes
Lower Legs: yes
Feet: no
3.5/7

Piraka build:
Head: no
Torso: yes
Upper Arms: no
Lower Arms: just one
Upper Legs: no
Lower Legs: no
Feet: no
1.5/7

Hewkii Mahri is more than twice as similar to the Metru build by this system and yet which does he actually resemble more?

6 Likes

My criteria are based on the entire body build of the Metru build – the arms, the legs, even the head. You’re arguing that one piece is all that defines a Metru build. That logic makes no sense to me.

The fact that it is exactly the same as a default Toa Metru, barring the one piece you all put on a pedestal for no reason?

Yeah just like this entire argument :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

“This is a Metru build” - Diogenes

13 Likes