BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

For Helryx, the art could also include a newly designed, 3D modeled mask? The way the contest is structured will work, but from earlier conversations about MOCing with permission from 3D modelers makes it sound like many are under the assumption that for the Mask of Psychometry, the mask donned by the winning MOC will become official- and artists will be forced to draw the mask similarly to how the 3D modeler designed it. Personally I will try to design my own mask for the Helryx contest.

Secondly- for all you Mask-Makers out there- it’s been said that the MOC can use any mask that you have made free access. That means they can use your Tuyet Mask design for Helryx’s Mask. Wouldn’t you rather just submit your Helryx mask design yourself in the art section of the contest?

I know that votes have a great deal of power here of what actually happens in the contest- but I want to be sure all contestants know what parts of their entry could become canon.

It could.

We’ll see about any necessary clarifications in the topic for Helryx on June 1st, but yes, whatever the mask on the artwork is will be the canon mask. However, if it’s a new mask that is separate from the MOC, a standalone piece of art must be submitted as well.

Additionally, may I implore everyone to stop saying “forced?” No one is forced to do anything. This is hyperbole. Any involvement in this contest is voluntary and the dramatic wording isn’t helpful.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’ll refrain from dramatic wording from now on. I meant to say that people might think that art submissions must include the mask as depicted on the winning MOC. That was my assumption when I read the earlier debate on the details of MOCing with 3D parts- thank you for answering my questions

1 Like

I have a rules related questions (though they might have been already asked and answered, sorry, if that is the case). Personally, i am not a 3d modeler, so if i would enter a MOC, it would be without any mask. But i have drew a mask, that, in my opinion should have been in a MOC. Can i include a photo of such a drawing in a MOC entry not as part of the MOC itself, but as a kind of additional info? And an another one: in the second part of a contest (Kanohi contest) must a picture include whole MOC? Or there can be only an illustration of mask (and weapons)?

Stud.io doesn’t seem to have a Toa Mata head. Is there one out there someone has given their blessing for everyone to use?

I’ve recently started with Stud.io myself, and it’s rather difficult to navigate the respective forum. Hope the scant amount of information in this thread can help.

1 Like
  1. No. You would need to enter the mask as well as a drawing of the MOC wearing the mask during the second portion.
  2. Mask and MOC. Ideally, we’re looking for a full-body illustration, though that’s not a solid rule at this time.

This may help you.

2 Likes

In relation to this question, is it possible to craft an original mask out of thermal plastics and use it on the MOC? I also, am no 3D modeler and don’t really want to slap a piece of drawn on paper on the figure.

I don’t believe so. A large part of the stipulations around 3d printing are for allowing the moc to be recreatable by as many people as possible. A handmade mask precludes that.

1 Like

Sounds like something you could submit in the second half of the contest.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you for the contest, I very much look forward to it. I have some questions and would appreciate it if you could enlighten me, please. Here they are:

1. Do we need to provide building instructions for each character? Is this what you mean by a minimum of 3 breakdown images of MOCs?

2. Do the weapons have to be the same colour as the character? e.g. do Helryx’s weapons have to be blue or silver or can they be another colour?

3. For the action pose, is it acceptable to show the MOC fighting a set character e.g. The 2001 Toa Tahu set?

4. Are we allowed to vote for our own entries or is it other entries only?

5. Are Medieval and Renaissance melee weapons like poleaxes, war hammers, maces, axes, swords & shields acceptable for entry MOCs?

6. Can the MOC have Bionicle projectile weapons like Kanoka launchers, Rhotuka launchers, Zamor launchers, Cordak blasters, etc. ?

7. Are the bladed shield pieces used in Icarax and Ekimu allowed?

8. For the character background, is a wall acceptable? or should the character be on a green screen or other plain, single coloured background?

Thank you in anticipation for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

No. That would not be allowed per our rules.

No. A breakdown image is a partial deconstruction of a part of the MOC. So for instance, if I took the chest armor off of the Ackar set, that is a breakdown image to show the inside of the torso.

They can be whatever color you want.

No. Only the MOC should be in your action post image.

You are allowed to vote for your entry.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

1 Like

I don’t like this. In my opinion you should never be able to vote for your own moc. It takes away part of the fun as a voter. And I know this is highly unlikely, but what if everyone enters a moc for one of the competitions and votes for their own moc? I hope you’ll consider changing this.

Alright, we will consider it.

Considering is done. We literally can not stop anyone from voting for their own MOC. There is no way to prevent it, and even if we were to make who votes for which MOC public, I can’t fathom why we’d waste our time cracking down on people who vote for their entry.

Please. This is exhausting. I’m tired of looking for solutions for things that aren’t problems. People, vote for your own MOC to your hearts content. Your entry will gain 1 extra vote because of it.

14 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick response, I have a follow up question: is it acceptable to use Photoshop to crop and lighten images, so long as the Photoshop does not alter the design of the model itself? I ask this as some of the photographs I have taken for the Helryx entry are either somewhat dark or there is clutter in the image that needs removing, but neither will affect the design of the MOC.

Thank you in anticipation

Image cleanup is fine, provided no alterations are made to your entry itself.

So, just to be clear: is this actually what you plan on doing? (Unless you haven’t decided yet, of course)

Hello there dear forum members!
this is my first post to this site so please
bear with me as this is new to me.

I allow usage of my “Toa Helryx Mask and Weapons” as well
as any revisions that I make for them later.

You will find the links to my Thingverse items below,
please do let me know if the links are working.
And also expect to see some links to my Shapeways account whenever I can get it working. :slight_smile::+1:

4 Likes