BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

For the sake of fitting in with Norik & Iruini, I’d imagine they need to be the same piece. That being said, paint is still always an option (although unlike metru gold, I don’t have gunmetal or PG paint myself).

1 Like

Hopefully we can use brickbuilt rhotuka shields that maintain a similar shape. I doubt enough people would vote for a moc in spite of a painted piece.

Perhaps the artwork could turn them into the exact same shields as Norik and Iruini but in different metallic colors?

1 Like

On the one hand, it seems that a “Rhotuka Launching Shield” is a specific weapon with a specific shape.

On the other hand, Norik and Iruini didn’t even hold them the same way (at least not in the official instructions), which wouldn’t make sense if their shields were identical.

So it seems possible that each shield is unique in-story, but Norik and Iruini’s just happen to be represented by the same Lego piece.

In this case, I would think other shield shapes could be allowed.

Maybe this is a stretch. Maybe the shields actually are identical, and can be held either way. In this case, the specific part would be required.

I don’t know.

1 Like

Yeah that seems like a hard stretch to me. A handle is definitely the most varied and easily refitted part of a shield.
I’m totally down for placeholder shields that will be turned into hagah shields in official art though if someone wants the hagah to sport a different color in the moc.

2 Likes

…Except they do though? I just check the PDFs on BS01, and they’re constructed and held identically…

I found this on another instruction website. I have no idea why Lego did this, but it seems offical:

But again, as @Takutanuva said, this doesn’t really prove that their shields are actually different, just the way they are held. Kind of like how some of the Mahri hold their blasters underhand, while some are overhand: maybe their weapons have different grips, but the main part of the Cordak Blaster is still the same.

So, while the Hagah may vary in how they hold their shields, they all still have a Rhotuka Launching Shield, which all look the same.

I’ve never seen what you just posted, where is that from?

This is where I got it. I do not know where they got it though.

They do not have one for Norik.

I’m not sure how much this matter though, since the comics show them in another orientation completely, with the “prongs” at the top.

I don’t know which version gets prioritized.

Or maybe they’re both canon, and even the exact same unique shield can be held multiple ways?

1 Like

Huh, odd. Strange because in all of his images he holds the shield in the same manner as Norik as well. But Bionicle instructions have had inaccuracies before. Who knows man.

Who all is going to be using the Knight’s Kingdom gold weapons?
image image

4 Likes

My Norik has an identical note. So either way, they both hold them in the same orientation.

6 Likes

Cool. So I guess they are the same after all. (which is still different from the comic, but still.)

Weird that that website didn’t have the one for Norik.

1 Like

@TheJerminator @Monopoly
Huh. That’s fascinating. I wonder if those correction notes were region-specific? Does anyone outside England remember if their Hagah had similar corrections? The Norik I bought had no such correction note, but it was used off Ebay, so it could have easily slipped out over time.

(Also, is Lego in the habit of slipping in these kind of correction notes? First I’ve ever heard of it.)

1 Like

Seems like an odd correction because the original orientation has much more details of the piece. Usually pieces are faced with the more detailed side up.

2 Likes

I honestly think that was a mistake. I’d say both ways are official since the official artwork shows the more detailed side.

You know what I’m using this for.
47462-2

People really gotta stop overthinking the shields.

5 Likes

Perhaps they made a mistake in the correction due to miscommunication. Thing I have noticed is that the instructions have the shields orientated differently from the promotional images. The left is the orientation seen in most images, on the right is that from the instructions.

1 Like

I always preferred the orientation on the left, it looks more like a medieval pavise shield, the one on the right just looks awkward to carry.

1 Like

Now all I can think of is some Lego employee trying to contact the instructions designer.

“Hey, we think there might be a mistake in the instructions for some Bionicle sets that just came out.”
“Yeah?”
“The figure’s shields are attached the wrong way round. Could you just make a correction note to fix the orientation of the pieces?“
“Oh yeah, sure.”

6 Likes

This is my lego employee headcanon now

1 Like

I know that they have done some stuff like this for Star Wars before, but I don’t really have any specific details.

I don’t think anyone really cares about the shape of the shields, so much as the colour of the shields; people want to use metallic colours other than silver or flat dark gold, so they are wondering if they can go with a custom build, or if they have a paint an official part.

2 Likes