BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Alright, we will consider it.

Considering is done. We literally can not stop anyone from voting for their own MOC. There is no way to prevent it, and even if we were to make who votes for which MOC public, I can’t fathom why we’d waste our time cracking down on people who vote for their entry.

Please. This is exhausting. I’m tired of looking for solutions for things that aren’t problems. People, vote for your own MOC to your hearts content. Your entry will gain 1 extra vote because of it.

14 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick response, I have a follow up question: is it acceptable to use Photoshop to crop and lighten images, so long as the Photoshop does not alter the design of the model itself? I ask this as some of the photographs I have taken for the Helryx entry are either somewhat dark or there is clutter in the image that needs removing, but neither will affect the design of the MOC.

Thank you in anticipation

Image cleanup is fine, provided no alterations are made to your entry itself.

So, just to be clear: is this actually what you plan on doing? (Unless you haven’t decided yet, of course)

Hello there dear forum members!
this is my first post to this site so please
bear with me as this is new to me.

I allow usage of my “Toa Helryx Mask and Weapons” as well
as any revisions that I make for them later.

You will find the links to my Thingverse items below,
please do let me know if the links are working.
And also expect to see some links to my Shapeways account whenever I can get it working. :slight_smile::+1:

4 Likes

Bionicle Canon Canister Design

Long story short: I’d like to join the contest by creating actual canisters for each character & then sending them out to the winners & TTV.

Hey Bionicle community! I’ve been watching & reading TTV content for a while now but as this is my first post, I just want to say it’s an honor to be here & it’s a great community to be a part of with so much great content!

So based on the title of this post I’m sure you all can figure out what it’s about. Like the rest of us, I’m super hyped about this new canon contest, and I really want to participate. However, I’ve never been the most phenomenal at Bionicle MOCs, so I thought I’d take a different direction – the canisters!

Obviously canisters, at least in Bionicle G1, were a big part of the Bionicle universe, & I think as we’re doing this canon character contest and having things verified as canon, it would be cool for them to come with canisters (lots of words that start with C I know). I’d really like to design & create these canisters, & I’m willing to do it for each & every contest that will be held. (Just a sidenote: I’m also open to creating boxes if the “set” requires it, but I’m more passionate about the canisters)

The reason why I like to do this is two-fold - 1, because of my passion for Bionicle, & 2, because of my passion for design. From a young age I always loved to build and create, & that’s actually what I went to college for! I’m proud to say that I have a degree in product design with a solid skill set around CAD and 3-D printing, sketching, model making, & general design principles. I’d really like to utilize the skills & sort of give back to the Bionicle community.

As far as how this would work, personally I think it would work best to design the canister after each character is finished, just to help me tie it in together (to the character/mask) and also let the original MOCist do their work without me influencing it. I would love to even make the actual canisters & gift them to the winners & maybe even send some to TTV to review on their YouTube channel as a set.

And obviously I’m open to any ideas the community might have for how I could go about structuring/creating these canisters! So long story short: I’d like to join the contest by creating canisters for each character & then sending them out to the winners & TTV. I would love to get in contact with Greg & the cast members to make this official, but I’m not sure exactly how (if anyone knows, please let me know. Update- I did send Eljay a message). If the cast from TTV is reading this, which I hope is the case, please know that I would love to work in partnership with you guys to make these canisters a reality, & I’m open to structuring this & what you think would be the best way possible. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity of working with such a great community.

Anyways, that’s a lot of text. But please, let me know your thoughts & comments about this idea! I’d love to hear from you guys & I would value your input greatly. Let’s continue to keep the legend of Bionicle alive! #Unity #Duty #Destiny

12 Likes

The links are indeed not functional, though it does give me some time To appreciate thingiverse’s 404 page(It’s really cool.)

Thanks for the contribution! : p

1 Like

Very VERY cool idea! I hope it gets approved. :slight_smile: Even if it was only 3D renders & did not materialize as physical canisters, I think it would definitely make the winning character feel super “official”!

3 Likes

Epic. What methods would you use to make said canisters?

2 Likes

The links have been updated and are now
hopefully up and running as intended,
the Shapeways links will take a bit longer but they are in the works.

1 Like

Hey @Eljay are submission entry topics allowed to be edited after submitting?
E.g. adding another pose photo, more text

1 Like

has takanuva seen the metru nui toa build? (i plan to make it mostly original)

Thank you for the support! Hopefully, if this gets approved, i’m going to make as much content as possible

@Axelford Thanks for the support!

I’ll probably start off with a lot of sketching to get overall form and color down. From there i’ll most likely move to rough prototype models for proportions if needed, and then into CAD. I’ll probably end up 3D-printing the canisters. I’ve also thought of vacuum forming or blow-molding, but that’s a little bit harder to get my hands on at the moment. Open to ideas though!

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POSTING - Spiderus Prime

2 Likes

To Bloodarchmage:

As of his first meeting with Helryx, Takanuva had only seen the Toa Mata, Toa Nuva, and the Toa Mahri (minus Matoro of course). He met Helryx and Krakua at the same time, and just from reading their first interaction in Swamp of Secrets, Helryx’s appearance stood out much more than Krakua’s.

It’s worth noting too that Greg has been asked about Helryx’s build before and said it might be something similar to a Mata build, but he wasn’t definite about that so don’t count it as a strict rule.

To TTV:

If I had an old 3D model that I didn’t make publicly available in time, could I submit the MoC with a placeholder mask, and then include the old design in the mask artwork portion of the competition (providing I make the 3D model anyway)?

2 Likes

Good afternoon, TTV! I’ve had my model ready to submit, but after seeing some of the descriptions of Helryx (her being frail/thin in appearance, mostly), it got me concerned as to whether or not that would be a deciding factor in your votes, e.g. a frail/thin looking Helryx vs a version of her that shows her more in her prime (heavyset perhaps, but definitely not frail-looking).
To summarize my question; Would a version of Helryx in her prime be given the same consideration as one that looks frail/thin, or would that “prime” stature undermine its chance of success?

Additionally, regarding the description of Helryx as looking battle-scarred and whatnot, would it be acceptable for me to submit photos of her in her pristine undamaged armor as well as battle-damaged, or would I need to pick one or the other?
If the latter is the case, which version of her would be best for me to submit for the contest?

1 Like

The entire community is able to vote, so it’s really up to every voter’s personal preference.

A couple people have already submitted MOCs that depict her in her prime, so you probably can do either.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for your response!

1 Like

Hello,

I have a question regarding the art portion of this contest. To take Toa Helryx as an example, what are the rules concerning the artwork? Does she have to be drawn in a neutral pose with only the mask being the concern, can it be in an action scene or a certain setting, etc.
And maybe as a side question, if we draw a completely new mask, do we have to also provide multiple angles, so 3D models can be made?
I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, I just couldn’t find it.

So, is that a yes or a no for cutting flex tubes?

1 Like