BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

The last one isn’t a Metru build.

5 Likes

Definitely an opinion. I’m gonna participate in them and have fun and I will not be making a custom torso

6 Likes

If you read the rest of my post instead stopping to read only the first sentence to make a witty remark, you would know the argument I was making is that I would say, for the sake of canon, that only the one on the far left is technically a Metru build.

3 Likes

The main issue I have with custom builds is that it will be a tremendous pain to enforce builds that “match the aesthetic” since that can be very subjective. Inevitably you will get entries that will get thrown out, and huge disagreements will come up if it was justified or not. Requiring a single piece is objective, and at least in my opinion, not very restrictive.

To respond to your point, I will be voting for something more in line with #1. And just like with our regular canon models, if I so choose, I can modify the model to be like #2 for posing. Leaving the moc simple and letting people both easily create and modify it is something that I think will be nicer for people wanting to build these mocs for their own collections. It also keeps nice visual cohesion with Norik and Iruini.

2 Likes

And I would be perfectly fine in allowing only that build in the canon contest. Tbh I was never a fan of those articulated Metru shoulders and they would definitely stand out from Norik and Iruini, but I guess it’s a small enough inconsistency that it wouldn’t be that big of an issue.

But that build on the far right isn’t a Metru build and no matter how many pharagraphs you write, it won’t change.

It’s like pointing at a wasp and saying it’s a bee. Sure they look similar, but they ain’t the same thing.

3 Likes

Before Norik and Iruini, all Metru builds had the same forearms and shins. Norik also has different shoulder armor from the rest. The first three models you posted are all Metru builds because they have the torso piece and similar proportions to Toa we’ve seen. The Metru build doesn’t require only the parts used in the six Toa Metru sets, otherwise you exclude the other Hagah.

2 Likes

I’d argue that they’re all Metru builds except for the last one. The leftmost one is a pure Metru build, as it is exactly the same as the official metru sets, but I’d consider the middle two moddified Metru builds.

To me, as long as it has the Metru torso and similar proportions, it’s a Metru build.

4 Likes

I fail to see how using one torso piece means you can’t be creative and takes the fun away.

The torso you showed looks okay I guess, if not overdesigned. I’d stick with something along the lines of the first three, mostly due to them fitting the aesthetic more effectively and partially because they look better, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the custom torso posted is allowed, so good luck to you :+1:

3 Likes

Have you thought that that might just be your opinion? I find it far more fun to build under constraints.

10 Likes

This is like listening to people argue about how many grains of sand make a pile for the the thousandth time.

I think all cases for all sides of this debate have been made and repeated ad nausium. Besides, I think a mod said that there might just be an official poll to decide this.

But, if someone has a new case to make, by all means present it. But this is starting to sound like a loop.

EDIT: It’s four grains, by the way, you can’t stack any less than that in a stable way.

5 Likes

I’m just gonna repeat my answer. I think all 4 of the styles should be allowed. I’ll only vote for something similar to #1 of those styles. If you choose something else, know you won’t have my vote. I think we can all just say let our votes decide and be done wit it’

Thats a stack, not a pile. A pile implies a larger amount than just a stack.

1 Like

Oh no, you can’t trick me into getting into this argument.

2 Likes

My final say on Metru builds:

For me, a Metru build is a build that uses the Metru torso and matches the Metru aesthetic, no matter how subjective that is.

For the contests, I think custom torsos should be allowed, because if people don’t like them, they don’t need to vote for them. People should be made fully aware that they will lose out on a lot - a lot - of votes if they have a custom torso. This applies to other contests to:

I think, that when it comes to building style, nothing should be disallowed.

6 Likes

I suppose if a custom torso wins, and Greg approves it as canon, technically that custom torso becomes an extension on the definition of a “Metru build”.

That’s a fair point. I would say changing the legs/arms is a fundamental change like ball joint shoulders, but my question still stands: where should the line be drawn? How much change can be done to a build before it ceases to become a Metru build? Should the gear function still be functional?

If you wouldn’t vote for a custom build, that’s perfectly fine. You’re free to vote for whatever you think should win, but what I’m saying is that a custom build shouldn’t be outright disqualified.

I don’t think you meant it that way, but the way you worded that implies that using a custom torso doesn’t have restraints either. I built my custom torso around the constraints of the Metru torso and worked to keep the proportions and style.
But, as I stated already, if there is no art contest and the MOC becomes canon, then the only build I think should be allowed would be the one on the far left, and I don’t appear to be alone in that:

That’s not just working around constraints, that’s just choosing which mask and chest/shoulder armor looks better on the same exact build.

Humanoid with a Metru torso piece and Toa proportions. It doesn’t need to be complicated.

3 Likes

You ever thought that may be exactly how I want it?
I don’t think the Mata look bad, I don’t think the Nuva look bad, I don’t think the Metru look bad, the Hordika, or the Inika. I don’t think Noriki or Iruini looked bad. Why would I change the formula up just for the sake of being :sparkles: different :sparkles: :thinking:
I enjoy the consistency and I want them to look good together and having a chunk piece of mashed bits like your #4, although I will admit is nice that you were able to do that, I don’t like it.

I also stated above, I’m not saying it should be banned. But I won’t vote for it.

3 Likes

Actually, I’m changing my stance. I was saying that the builds should require the Metru gearbox, but I can fully accept custom torsos now.

If a custom torso get approved by Greg, then by definition it becomes a variation on the Metru build, so there is no conflict with canon.

As for matching the aesthetic, I can leave that up to the votes to decide, since that’s subjective.

This is absolutely true.

However, the rules are currently structured such that the MOCs are not canon, so TTV will never send Greg such a request anyways.

(And whose fault is that?)

(Emphasis mine)
For this reason, a Metru coloured Rhotuka cannot be required for the MOC Contest. However, it would be reasonable to implement this for the Art Section.

Although the Art Contest may avoid Rhotuka colours entirely; just look at how they were portrayed in the movie, with each character just firing whiteish wheels. (Although every character in the movie had a silver Rhotuka in the set. Maybe a coloured Rhotuka would have been coloured in the movie?). Additionally, who says the art even has to show them launching the Rhotuka?

To me, the first three are definitely okay, with the fourth one being… maybe. I wouldn’t really care if the last one got disallowed, but those first three definitely need to be allowed.

Read the rest of the post. They’re asking if these should be considered Metru builds. That’s why “Metru” is in quotes.

These are real big-brain hours.