BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Since he shouldn’t have any 3d printed piece (except if someone upload a custom weapon) it shouldn’t be necessary. But I really like the art contest :pleading_face:

4 Likes

1: good point, the only reason we have the art contests after the moc on is due to the custom mask situation. Nidhiki’s mask is, objectively, not custom (unless you count the “has to be green” part)

2: I still want an art contest lol. The opportunity to get a cool piece of art of Toa Nidhiki in action is to good to miss

Maybe it could allow it to be handled slightly differently, though. Since Nidhiki’s MOC could be considered full-canon unlike the other contests, it could allow for some weird changes in requirements in art. Like him not fully equipped, or mid-transformation.

Probably not on that last part, but you know…maybe.

4 Likes

it’s a question about illegal connection.

Is this upper arm connection considered illegal in the contest? (Arm connection like Krakua)

1 Like

Cursed idea: the Volitak’s “muffler” doesn’t have an off switch, so every time you see Nidhiki talking as a Toa, it sounds like he’s talking from behind a pillow. People can barely understand him.

4 Likes

BS01 didn’t want 3d printed pieces in the page, but I don’t know their stance with painted pieces.

Maybe the art contest could be made just to have the green mask, for all the entries that couldn’t or didn’t want to paint it, although with photoshop someone can easily change the color to green.

1 Like

I’ll be satisfied with the winning Toa Hagah because I know there’s no way to change it and I’ve done my part with voting.

2 Likes

This doesn’t really matter, since TTV has said that they would never require custom parts, and will therefore never mandate a painted mask. Unless it’s a Krakua situation, where the official image is understood to be inaccurate in some known capacity, we will require an art contest for Nidhiki.

The more interesting possibility of Nidhiki’s contest is that after the MOC portion, there likely won’t be anything left for the artists to decide. Therefore, couldn’t multiple pieces of art be made canon, since they all show the exact same model?

3 Likes

Varying art style is still a factor. Having one moc win doesn’t limit artist in how they want to depict that build.

There are tons of art styles across Bionicle already: movies, templar, multiple different comic artists. They’re all still considered equally valid. There shouldn’t be any differences other than things like a hand recolour like Helryx or Kualus; and even the comics frequently miscolor a model.

1 Like

Should Nidhiki’s contest be a free-for-all like the Hagah?

And if art wins we just end it there?

5 Likes

That does risk Nidhiki not having a recognizable build (unlike the Hagah, who we understood to be Metru)

But you know what? Maybe

1 Like

Is that really, a problem, though? Even the characters that currently have official appearances were presented with wildly different stylizations. As long as all the artwork is stylizing the same thing, I don’t really see an issue with it.

If anything, having different stylizations is a good thing, since it would let us get a better grasp of what’s part of the “real” appearance, and what’s just stylization.

I’ll admit it’s possible that we might need to tighten up the rules on what modifications can be made (no Pouks-thigh-level changes, for example), but that seems like a fair exchange for the extra depth in appearances.

What makes you say this?

I mean, I’m totally down with all future contests being free-for-all in general, but I’m wondering why you’re singling out Nidhiki, specifically.

Because Nidhiki will have no custom parts making his art contest sorta pointless.

yes, Ignition Comics never look like set at all.

I think it’s probably similar to Helryx or Arthaka, which have only rules for masks.

I think a more common contest rule will be established in this Tuyet contest .

And there’s still a lot of time left for nidhiki contest…

Pretty sure the Hagah were only FFA because we know their build, and because TTV didn’t want to require entrants to get the torso pieces to enter. Neither of which applies to Nidhiki

Also 3d printed weapons are still allowed.

You’re welcome. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

As I said before, there’s been a lot of discussion about whether Tuyet is a metro build, but I think I’ve actually seen Metru build Nidhiki a lot more than Metru build tuyet lol

Edit: I was going to add this on the previous post, but I accidentally wrote it. But luckily, I avoided the double post. lol

It also worked well for the Hagah because, regardless of which medium won, it would still need to be drawn/redrawn for the group shot.

For any “single” character, though, redrawing a winning art entry would be kind of pointless, and the free-for-all format would introduce uncertainty in the contest timeline (not to mention the fact that some people might vote for one medium or another just to end the contest faster).

I think you and @TheJerminator are misunderstanding my argument here.

I brought up varying art styles as a defence for both an art and a moc contest.

An art contest is not excluisivly about deciding the true shape of an mask or a placeholder item on the respective moc but also a way to portray the character inuniverse in the winning artists art style.

Lastly,

No, not really the Hagah was one of a kind situation.

Well, my point (and I assume Jerm’s) is that rather than having just one winner for the art contest, we could have multiple, maybe like three.

But the art contest is for that, to define the shape of a mask (or armor color in the Hagah case). The in-universe portray is just a bonus that not even every character have. The art contest for Nidhiki wouldn’t introduce new information to canon, making it kinda pointless.

I like that idea, MOC would end up been canon, and we could have some art to add to the character’s gallery.

1 Like