BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

In my book, “humanoid” means upright torso, a number of legs at least 2 attached at the hips, and a number of arms at least 2 attached at the shoulders, with at least one head at the top of the torso.

3 Likes

I mean, regarding the definition of “humanoid”, this isn’t a hypothetical discussion. there’s precident in Bionicle specifically.

Is Nocturn humanoid?
Is Voporak humanoid?
Is The Shadowed One humanoid?
Is any of the multiple characters with wings humanoid?
Is Gorast humanoid?
Are Vorox humanoid?

Basically: we don’t need to think about any hypothetical Marendar MOC. We have enough precident in bionicle right now to come to a conclusion.

It’s mostly irrelevant though: I cannot imagine TTV mandating any part of the “humanoid” definition other than, like, maybe “must be bipedal, and have some arms”, but I doubt they’d even do that. Nor should they.

7 Likes

In fact, I think it’s too early to discuss Marendar Contest… I just hope there will be no delay in Tuyet and Lariska.

13 Likes

The rule should just say “must be humanoid” and get no more specific.

8 Likes

You say that but there are scientists who want to talk about the heat death of the universe and that’s scheduled for only two weeks before the Marendar contest so obviously it’s not too early

18 Likes

Question: What are the rules on giving characters tools that they are not described as having? For example (I don’t plan on doing this), could I enter a Tuyet moc with a shield?

EDIT: yes, I meant in addition to the BB. Sorry, I definitely should have specified that.

Weapons would be mandated, which means your entries would be required to feature them. And since there are specific weapons mandated, it has to be those. This has been an instillation of the previous contests.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s the question Atobe’s asking. I think they want to know if, for example, they could enter a Tuyet wielding a shield in addition to the barbed broadsword.

5 Likes

The answer would be no.

4 Likes

For the sake of full clarity/plugging any “Tuyet wields a sword” style loopholes here:

1: This means that, the only weapons/equipment/tools that a toa could be depicted with are the ones we’ve previously known about in canon (IE, Nidhiki’s scythe, and only nidhiki’s scythe)?
2: Does this extend to all (currently known) future toa contests (at least, as of now)?

Nitpicky, but it’s a nitpick that is inevitable, so may as well get a firm answer early.

3 Likes

I know I’m late to the whole news about the TYQ Toa’s weapons, but I’ll just say that I’m totally fine with Chiara using a spear because I had already imagined her wielding a tool called the Lightning Spear in my fanon.

1 Like

The face gives me Marvel’s Celestials vibes. Interesting.

1 Like

I wonder why :thinking:

5 Likes

yep I just altered it to fit my needs

1 Like

If the parts exist in the right colors, you could have a beam of elemental energy shooting out of each eye to correspond to the wheel in the chest.

3 Likes

I just found a really interesting quote that may give us new information about Marendar, though I don’t know if it will be relevant to the contest. After the infamous “Helryix” quote, I decided to try out some misspellings, and found this:

On marrendar - we don’t know much about him/it, other than the fact that it was made to hunt toa. We also know that inside the matoran universe, the rahi nui was made to do the same. Can we assume that they had similar powers? (mainly resistance to elemental powers, i suppose).

1. Yes

It is possible that Greg was only answering in regards to the specific example of Elemental resistance, but I would read it as if *all" of their powers are similar.

This quote is mostly supported by other sources: just as the Rahi Nui can feed on Elemental attacks and track Elemental Energy, we know that Marendar is resistant to the Elements, and can track Toa Power. Those certainly sound similar to me.

What hasn’t been discussed before, though, is the implication that Marendar also shares the Rahi Nui’s control over Kanoka powers.

Personal Thoughts

Personally, I like the idea that Marendar has Kanoka powers. It fits with my vision of it being a combination of all the technology they put into the Toa.

There’s also a few directions it could be taken from a creative perspective, since we only know that Marendar’s powers are similar to the Rahi Nui’s, and neither of the other examples of similar powers were completely identical. Perhaps Marendar possesses all Kanohi powers instead, or can instantly create any combination of Kanoka powers.

5 Likes

Man, now that sounds dangerous.

4 Likes

Well before modifying them to wield their now canonical weapons I decided to post my TYDQ team

Toa Orde (ver.StSc)

I’ll be reposting entry versions whenever we reach their respective contests

9 Likes

Hey, uh…can of worms that should probably be opened sooner rather than later…

I know I didn’t search mispellings, at least not many. Someone should check for misspellings of “tuyet”, “mangai”, “intangibility”, “barbed”, and “broadsword” among others.

Sorry i’m just saying someone should do it and not just doing that myself, I’m at work lol.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for misspellings of “Tuyet”, but none of those others.

No luck, though. Apparently “Tuyet” is harder to misspell than “Marendar”. I haven’t got a single hit for any attempts at “Tuyet”, but I found a bunch for “Marandar”, “Marrendar”, “Marander”, etc.

4 Likes