BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

We could also just hold a poll for his mask like bzp used to do. We’re holding canon contests anyway. I’m not saying we should canonize masks for every Toa, but since he’s the only member of the team without one…

Could make another good “between contests” thing.

6 Likes

idk let’s just give him a pakari and call it done

2 Likes

Actually that’s a great idea! I’ve also been saying do just a mask contest for the missing Noble Masks and Great Kiril so in between mask art contest/mask canonizing contests could be great.

What about a variant Pakari, shaped like one of the old hockey masks? Maybe he was from the southern continent like Lhikan.

3 Likes

eh
nah

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, why would you specifically link the hockey masks with the Pakari, out of all the Kanohi out there? Why not the Hau, or even a new mask entirely?

3 Likes

I say we just keep things the way they are. Some mocs are built around having a singular mask in mind.

Plus how would voting even work? Would every single known kanohi be included in a big ol’ poll? What about custom 3d printed masks? (Come to think of it, how exactly were the Mangai mask pills* organized?)

*polls :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I really like that idea, but other than excluding masks already represented on the team, how would candidates be identified?

1 Like

Maybe just have phase one where everyone is allowed to submit one mask suggestion, and then phase B where we vote on the top [number] most popular?

3 Likes

Oh because I heard the Pakari was inspired by Goalie Masks, so the Hockey Masks seemed like a good place to look for variant shape ideas.

Something like this where certain masks like the Rode aren’t allowed. Same with duplicate masks on the same team since that seems to be a unspoken rule so far.

Also if we’re limiting masks to standard ones that aren’t for specific purposes or evil (Tryna and Elda), that leaves us with 27 known mask shapes to choose from.
EDIT: Rip Calix

1 Like

I’d honestly be fine with allowing the community to decide this. Since the Mangai were kinda organized on the spot for a Dragon emergency, maybe they could have duplicate masks. I think it will be unpopular anyway, but if the community really wants to give old Motara a Hau, I say we let them.

6 Likes

Hmm, I had never heard that before, but I feel like the pakari was probably based on this kind of hockey mask (hmm, the resemblance is actually kind of uncanny now that I compare the two)…

…whereas the lego hockey masks ook like they’re supposed to be hockey helmets

But anyway.

2 Likes

Good point, though I’ll have to double check to see if this is an actual rule or quote in universe so we don’t have an after contest discussion about it.

Personally, I think it’d be interesting for him to have a Mask of Rebounding, as every Toa of Stone has used a ranged/distance weapon (Sanok could be seen as a weapon since it’s an offensive mask) to attack.

Yeah that’s the mask. A goalie mask if I remember correctly.

Apparently they’re the same thing?

1 Like

It is doubtful that any of the Toa Mangai had the same mask as each other:

4 Likes

Here’s my rendition of her as an 05 combiner model. Proportions are a bit off but she currently scales with an Inika build.

https://i.imgur.com/nzHBrDF.jpg

I’ll make a separate topic once I get better photo setup. Even so, I’m iffy on entering it as it currently stands. Works as a dark hunter but maybe not Lariska.

16 Likes

That Vakama Hordika mask is a great piece, just wayyyy too expensive.
I think it’s a great version of her, too bad those pieces don’t exist in Teal

2 Likes

That’s Matau’s head. It’s a combiner model.

6 Likes

Oh yeah now I see it, my bad

2 Likes

Orde Mask of Anger gang rise up!

I’ve thought about how I’d run an “anything-goes” mask poll before. First, a “nomination round”, where anyone can nominate any canonical mask power (within reason, of course) (including hypothetical masks mentioned on BS01’s Other Kanohi page). Each person gets one nomination and each mask can be nominated once. Then, there’s either a tournament-style bracket vote, or, if there’s a lot of nominations, there’s a big poll with all nominations and those with more than one vote can move onto a bracket vote.

2 Likes

If we were to ever do something like this, I agree with doing a nomination round, but it wouldn’t be to nominate the powers we already explicitly know about. Those should be included automatically. In my mind, the nomination round would be to introduce entirely new power ideas.

Maybe there would be a second nomination round like how you suggested, where we can whittle it down to the ideas that even have a chance without trying to fit them into any kind of bracket, but there should definitely also be a “new ideas nomination” before that point.

3 Likes