BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Don’t lecture other people about allegedly putting things on pedestals when you do this. Knock off the projecting.

4 Likes

No? I’m saying that the piraka don’t have a Metru torso.

How does listing every similarity the Toa Metru share equate to putting anything on a pedestal? I’m trying to weigh everything equally.

(Am I misusing the word pedestal? I’m trying to say everything should count in some way, not just one piece.)

I can agree that the Metru torso is a bit iconic, though, so I’ll modify my scale and say it’s worth 2 points.

No it wouldn’t. Nowhere close.

Head? Check.
Torso? Unless there’s a Metru torso hidden in there, no.
Upper arms? Nope.
Lower arms? Nope.
Upper legs? Different armour; I give it a half check.
Lower legs? Again, a half check for being similar.
Feet? I’ll give them a fifth point for vague similarly.

That’s 2.2/8 with my new system. That’s nowhere close to 6/8.

Why isn’t this “close enough”?

Because it doesn’t look at all like the original Metru lower arm piece. I docked the hagah for it, too.

You read the post wrong. Skello was evaluating Hewkii’s validity as a Piraka build. By your reasoning, he’s more Metru than Piraka, which is obviously nonsense.

He’s roasting your arbitrary scale for being arbitrary.

See, that, that right there is the problem. Your scale is too malleable. It’s not rooted in objectivity, just what you feel is “close enough,” and the fact that you don’t really change much by changing the value of one bullet point on the scoreboard should tell you that this is bogus. You haven’t even given a minimum score for what is and isn’t Metru “enough.”

3 Likes

I don’t have my parts with me right now. Can someone put Vakama’s limbs on Hoseryx’s body for me?

2 Likes

My post was comparing how a Metru build checklist and a Piraka build checklist would apply to Hewkii, not how the Metru checklist applies to the Piraka

3 Likes

Oh. My mistake.

I’ve more to say, but unfortunately, I have to go to class for an hour or so, so I’ll get back to you then. I fully expect to have 20 people arguing against me by then.

Just to clarify - what are we arguing about? I’m pretty sure everyone here is aware that defining a Metru build is completely subjective.

2 Likes

Aight I’m gonna put this to bed.

IF we mandate a “Metru Build” there is a 90% likelihood that we will be requiring the actual Metru Torso piece be used.

IF we mandate “Metru Aesthetics” there is a 90% likelihood that we will be subjectively determining what does and does not based on how closely a given entry resembles the aesthetics and proportions of the Toa Metru/Existing Hagah.

My definition of Metru Build is the same as my definition of Inika Build, in that it has more to do with the torso piece used and overall proportions/aesthetics than anything else (Brutaka for example is not an Inika build and I’ll die on that hill.)

19 Likes

Not quite. There has to be some kind of rule. Otherwise I could just submit an Inika build because I subjectively think it counts as a Metru build.

EDIT: and there’s the proposed rules right there.

1 Like

It’s a wonderful day in Metru Nui

hmm

2 Likes

You caught me mid-edit

At the end of the day you’re allowed to submit whatever you want to the contests - whether it’s accepted is an entirely different discussion.

Let me be absolutely clear to everyone in this topic:

There are currently NO Rules or Requirements confirmed for the Hagah Contest.

At this point everything is up in the air and it’s likely the Hagah contest will not be happening for quite a while to give us time to both decompress and also iron out some of the issues with the contest process.

13 Likes

As an update to the Artakha contest, we sent off the winning entry to Greg Farshtey the day the polls ended, and we are awaiting a response.

19 Likes

If Mr. Farshtey doesn’t respond for while, say, a few months, would we continue to wait, or would we advance to the next contest?

3 Likes

We would wait. We’re going to be delaying the next contest anyway, so it won’t be an issue.

6 Likes

Whilst I am not against some of the Hagah having slightly beefed-up ball joint arms, I’d prefer for it to only be the case for either two or three of them, so as to not break up the aesthetic with Iruni and Norik.

1 Like

OK, so there’s no way I’m quoting every single post that I disagree with that popped up in the last six hours or so, so I’ll just make a general summary of my thoughts:

• It is impossible to flat-out mandate what is/isn’t a Metru Build because builds are sliding scales, not whole categories. Most official sets fall pretty neatly into one of these categories, but the same cannot be said for MoCs.
  • If your build has a Metru Torso that does not automatically qualify it as a Metru Build. It’s a build, not a torso. If I were to just slap a bunch of CCBS limbs on a Metru Torso, I’ve got a hybrid build that doesn’t cleanly fall into any established category.
  • The Hagah should be primarily based on a Mertu building system, but room for variation is also ok. Think like how the Mata or the Mahri distinguished themselves from each other - that’s fine. I don’t think stuffing whatever pieces you want onto a Metru Torso automatically qualifies it for looking like a cohesive member of that team.
  • Any ruleset at all (regardless of how strict/lenient it will be) will inevitably upset at least part of the community. I feel like it’s going to be one of the more complicated contests though, and frankly, I’d rather see more individual characters established and other rulesets figured out before we tackle a simultaneous four-character contest where the four need to both aesthetically be in line with each other and two existing official sets.

Some people might see this as kind of a “But I want to enter everything!” but I totally agree with you.

There was an absolutely stunning Artakha MoC in this last contest that looked like something straight out of Transformers - hugely intricate, machinery everywhere. I would totally vote for something like that… if it were depicting, say, Marendar.

Don’t try and fight the contests to do everything in your style, guys. Find the character(s) that suit your approach to MoCing best, and go to town on them. I’ll give plenty of votes to weird stuff if it’s in the appropriate place. For the Hagah, I’m open to some slight variations, but ultimately I’ll be voting for stuff that looks good next to Norik and Iruini. If you want me to vote for hyper-crazy-overdesigned-organic-thing, I’ll happily do that too - when it’s time for the Gold-Skinned Being. Even Nidhiki/Tuyet have a fair bit more room to move than the Hagah.

Dude that’s a fantastic metaphor, that post deserves way more likes. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It may be too wide for some people’s taste but I think it looks aight

3 Likes