BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Yes

you see here we build Bionicle figures

6 Likes

Touche.

1 Like

I’ll admit, a lot the drama surrounding these contests is exhausting but how many people are actively following it? Most people probably just want to see mocs and cool artwork.

Look at the original canon contest topic. If you look solely at the posts, it seemed that the community was evenly split. But the actual polls showed overwhelming support. Those of us who actively check these topics and argue over canon, we’re the minority.

8 Likes

Just on this one specifically, there were plenty of characters (Certavus, Surel, Nikila, to name a few) who, if I understand correctly, were handled in BZPower contests rather than mail-in, as well as actual short stories submitted to contests on their forums that became canon. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s definitely like that mini comic where it’s like
“Ah man, that guy’s made a better cake than me.”
but for the observers it’s like
“AH MAN! TWO CAKES :D!!”

Fortunately a lot of the drama is stowed away in private. But it doesn’t mean a little doesn’t leak out here and there like a bad fart.

I look at the contests as something to draw inspiration from, for my own MOCing purposes and as an excuse to draw more Bionicles :wink:
And enjoy some Cake.

I was never present on BZP. But if this is the case then I remain corrected on at least that front.

But otherwise I was more referring to the magazine contests. like the Rahi, Dark Hunter and Makuta ones.

2 Likes

mmmm… cake. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Which were to develop entirely new characters or, with the Rahi and Dark Hunter ones, to develop an entire slew of new characters, backstories, and lore.

Greg doesn’t have the power to do that without LEGO’s legal approval and scanning of all entries and completely controlling the contest, so this is the next best thing.

1 Like

Well yes, that however wasn’t in question or on blast.

Again, I’m merely playing Makuta’s Advocate, and answering E as to why some people are probably not as enthused to continue.

I know that the contests are going to continue regardless of my own qualms [again, being that it lends to not-great drama], or anyone elses [which I’m not going to assume to know the full breadth of]. I’m simply an understanding and empathetic observer.

I’ve no problem with that, and I’m sure that the next contest is going to go smoother than the prior two, hopefully by the time those come around, they’ll have iron out some of the rules regarding potential DQs n such.

Personally I hope they’ll take into consideration perhaps taking a week to review all entries for either MOCing and/or Art, and alert potential DQ’s so they have time to edit or fix their piece.

And so nothing apparently egregious slips through the cracks and a random Disqualification occurs right in the middle of the polling… again.
:grimacing:

2 Likes

Dude… we can now display official, confirmed canon models of Helryx and Artakha. You cannot call that “little to no return”.

4 Likes

I’m gonna have to disagree big time with the claim that the admins have been running these contests kind of poorly, because frankly, they’ve been running them amazingly.
Yes, there were some mistakes made, but I’d like to see any of us who thinks we could do better without foresight try.
Thank you again to all you wonderful people at TTV for making these great events happen.:+1:
May you all enjoy your more than well-earned break this Thanksgiving and Christmas season.:+1:

1 Like

There are no rules regarding DQs other than if something doesn’t qualify by the time the entry period is up, it is DQ’ed. The notification was, as Meso said, a courtesy, not a rule, and TTV is not bound by it nor should they be.

Keep in mind the only reason that one got as far as it did was there’s two people working full-time on this and putting a strain on their entire lives to keep it functioning; a mistake will happen.

3 Likes

It kind of comes down to a very fundamental moral/ethical question - is it “right” to do something you believe is good even when you know it will upset/offend some people?

Meso and Eljay have both expressed that they believe the contests are primarily to encourage community spirit and fun in what’s been both a rough few years for Bionicle fans and just a rough year generally.

Personally? I believe that if we never did anything because it could cause drama/upset/debate, then nothing would ever get done. If (like nearly all decisions) something is an opinion and not a fact, then invariably, someone will have a dissenting opinion to your own. You can’t avoid saying things because someone will disagree with you - otherwise, how would we ever learn anything from one another?

6 Likes

My full comment was this:

This was for those who squeezed time when and where they could, only to still not make it before the deadline, or through the polls.

Yes, this is the nature of contests, I agree. What I’m saying is: That understandably sucks and can bum some people out.

Yeah see that’s kind of the problem… they don’t have to give anyone a chance to fix what may be a small thing that was not perceived to be a problem. Especially when others break the rules and are still in the running without question…

It feels weird and in bad taste.

That’s why I made the suggestion of a week between the deadline and putting the polls up, so the staff can take the time to go through the entries without stress or strain. notify people, let them fix the apparent errors, and continue onto the polling.

I know they have lives, we all do. But there are ways to reduce the possibility for mistakes and make for smoother sailing over all, Just saying.

Here, Here.

This is why I even said anything regarding this whole subject.

I’m allowed to state my opinions, be they popular or not, and I feel that if someone asks “why are there some people not for the continuation of these contests?”
That I should at least offer up a possible reason as to why, perhaps not the overall reason, as I do not speak for everyone, nor have I claimed to… I’m just an artist who is occasionally overly empathic.

And I mean this is a discussion thread on the contests… so… XD

2 Likes

Ah I see… sorry, just tired.

1 Like

Perfectly alright. No hard feelings here, rest and have some tea. :+1:

Unfortunately, that just doesn’t work.

The grace period for proper analysis would require them to thoroughly analyze each art piece by an official list to see if it made the qualifications not based on their opinion, but by a defined scale, and all on the first day so entrants received the exact same amount of time to make their modifications. People need that week to make edits, after all.

You’d need to have the community approve what the standards are for each contest entry’s DQ qualifications (and you’ve seen what something as little as mandating a specific piece can bring), deal with the argumentative fallout from that, analyze every single art entry by said rules to ensure it legitimately qualifies in every aspect, and argue with contestants who don’t believe their violation is truly a violation or accidentally allow something and have the entire contest threaten to fall apart because they either do nothing about it or come and DQ it later and need to make a gigantic sorry post about it so people won’t follow through with personal vendettas.

Oh wait.

In all fairness, there aren’t many. And unless an answer to the problem takes into account the likely result of the Bionicle community being less than excellent - a community whose most defined traits after 20 years being violent arguments, cyberbullying, power mismanagement, and general holier-than-thou attitudes for putting others down - then frankly, it isn’t an answer.

Well… Tough.

I’m sorry that by nature of being contests, these setups have one winner and a significant amount of losers. That’s how contests work. I know you’ve repeatedly said how you’re playing devil’s advocate and so I’m assuming that’s what you’re doing here - anyone who actually uses the idea that some people might feel bad if they lose as logic for ending the canon contests shouldn’t be commenting on the canon contests.

Is that a bit mean to say? Sure. So is lambasting TTV for handling addressing a decision the exact same way they handle addressing every other decision in the contests. You enter these contests with the knowledge that one will win, everyone else will lose, and there is no consolation prize.

If that’s too much for some people, G2’s got a wonderful fandom to check out

1 Like

Regardless which side you pick in this debate on thing is clear, have a proper duration time for contestants to update their entries if they are flagged or under potential of being DQ’d. But to prevent the duration of several weeks to review TTV can make their rules clearer to negate the problem while still balancing out some sort of a grace period for review if needed. Positive interaction with contestants is crucial for a fun atmosphere, if there is no joy in said contest, viewer numbers will decline as will participants and voters. Right out of the gate there was the disapproval of some people who didn’t like the idea that canon contests were going to rekindle back around helryx. It’s understandable given that Bionicle g1 cancelled so long ago and how greg made AU’s canon thanks to Takanuva’s many adventures in alternate universes. But for those who want to enjoy these contest like many others including myself, it would be better suited to understand why there is the butting of many heads. To make it short I will summarize:

1. allow entries to be updated
  2. extend review time before posting the polls for voting to ensure everything goes smoothly (Contests should not be rushed, I would recommend TTV explore other avenues of content such as podcasts at a frequent basis so they can have time in ensuring a gentler flow)
  3. Engage with others, talk about entries but don’t try to sway what should or shouldn’t win. We must work Anonymously when voting, hence is why I like the idea that TTV hid the votes to prevent any sabotage
4 Likes

I’m going to assume you meant “Anonymously”. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

XD yes thank you good sir

2 Likes

Huh… aight…

Going over your entire thing, this is simply untrue. As they gave the people on the chopping block at least 3 days to fix their error.

So either the person up for DQ can take the time to fix, or alternatively, if they themselves do not have the time or it’s more work than they are able to expend, gracefully bow out.
It at least gives entrants the opportunity to do so.
And granted, some people will argue. but that’s going to happen regardless.

I’m not going to touch your next point because it’s really jumbled and I really do not understand what you’re trying to say.

But we probably agree? :sweat_smile:

And now touching on this.

And AGAIN I will repost what I said…

I’m not even REMOTELY being mean or lambasting TTV. Perhaps I came off as a bit rough when Blue was disqualified, but we all were a little justified because it was, pardon the pun, out of the blue, when she was on the poll prior.

If anything I’ve been offering suggestions when applicable. The staff is more than free to take them into consideration, or opt not to employ them at all. So it goes.

And the whole… “Anyone who actually uses the idea that some people might feel bad if they lose as logic for ending the canon contests shouldn’t be commenting on the canon contests.” thing isn’t even accurate… It’s that people have become disenchanted.

It’s not a “Oh my fee fees are hurt and I’m sad my thing didn’t win so I want the contests to not be a thing anymore!!! :crying_cat_face:” thing.

It’s a “Wow, these are really not turning out how I’d hoped, and I don’t really like the results of the entries, and some people are being real jerks about it, maybe this wasn’t a great idea?.” thing.

It’s also a “I put a lot of energy into this and I’m really not sure if I can keep going, as much as I want to, I’m kinda losin’ hope here.” sort of thing. Though these people may not necessarily want the contests to stop regardless of how they feel.

It’s a stress to the MOCists and Artists, too… They need a little love and encouragement, not just the ones who won.

I accepted the rules when I entered, as did many others. I’m not upset I lost. Some other people might be but they’re not me, and I’m not them. I’m content I made 3rd preference in my poll.

Mind you This was ALL in response to Ehlektronix effectively asking “why would anyone be opposed”, so I fielded a valid response. I’m very sure people who are disenchanted with the contests will continue to follow along as there is the ever springing hope that it will be better, there are also those who signed off already and that’s just as valid.

I don’t think it’s entirely fair to ask the magic question, then effectively shoot the messenger because you don’t like the answer. If you do not want to hear the answer, then why ask the question?

I have many friends, all of whom are of diverse thoughts regarding the contests, this is a discussion thread, where diverse thought should be welcome, even if the opinion fielded is not always… agreed with. Such as when there was the discussion earlier about 3D models and what qualifies as a Metru build.

Am I approaching it from an emotional standpoint? Possibly. And addressing my own quote, I know that the ‘unhealthy atmosphere’ is really wholey unavoidable, which sucks as I just want us all to vibe and get along because we all love and appreciate Bionicles and Legos…

Even that G2 stuff. lol

Hopefully in all of this… wall… of text… I’m getting across what I’m trying to say.

I’m not sure what I can say further without repeating myself again and again. So I will bow out here.

2 Likes