BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

This seems like the best option to me. Not only does it provide an acceptable solution and the bonus of a group shot, but I think it’d be the least controversial.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure. Unless the art contest of all 4 is only AFTER the moc contest. Many people on this forum(myself include) are not artists. That was like- the whole point of me getting into Lego and Bionicle. I’ve never been phenomenal at drawing but lego gave me an opportunity to create and manifest something artistically through another means-building. Taking away the ability to build imo is more limiting. While everyone CAN draw, many such as myself are going to find that super limiting or outright disqualifying.

That would be the idea.
Moc contests for each individually, then art for all four.

4 Likes

In the context of the idea being discussed, it would be.

My concern is with the unpredictability of the recolouring.

For Artakha, the rules were clear; the builders knew exactly what would and wouldn’t be recoloured, and they knew exactly what it would be recoloured to.

But with this idea, the builders don’t know if their build will recoloured, and they don’t know what it will be changed to.

Some builders have very specific ideas in mind that they want to get canonized, so they put them in their build. Changing that doesn’t really seem fair.

For example, if my hypothetical metallic pink Pouks won, I would be highly disappointed if it got recoloured to silver.

That being said, I still like this idea of doing the Art Contest as a group contest. I’m just not sold on the recolouring.

3 Likes

I agree that each one having a unique metallic would be really neat. We’ve got silver and gold, and Pouks ought to be metallic pink just to make Jerminator happy. Gunmetal? Copper? Metallic red?

I’d actually really love to see more copper!

I’d like if Kualus had metallic blue armor. and Gaaki had copper colored armor.

I am also not a fan of the recoloring in this because I find it unnecessary. In my opinion there’s enough part availability for each Hagah to be crafted as of now. The recoloring was really because of sand green rarity for Artakha. I believe the metals is really going to be the MAIN issue unless its just consensus that we don’t care at all about any possible terrible imbalances. I’d again prefer us to hash out in advance the metals for the remaining 4 Hagah for this reason.

I truly don’t care about what their secondary colors are-that can be left open for extra creativity for the builder.It could be really fun to see some fun secondary colors though. Like red for Gaaki or keet-orange on Bomonga. Theres also the lesser debate that all should contain black to match more with Iruini and Norik but honestly… I’m not too concerned with that

I’d personally like to see Bomonga and Pouks as flat gold because we don’t have any characters with that color scheme as of right now.

I’ve brought this up before, but I think it bears repeating:

Greg said that their Toa Hagah colors match their Rahagah colors (Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 261), which includes armor color if they have metallic spinners. Rahaga Iruini had a gold spinner, and Toa Hagah Iruini had gold armor. Rahagah Norik, however, had a dark red spinner, so his armor color was open to interpretation, but the set designers decided to go with silver (I know Toa Norik was originally supposed to be Toa Dume, but we don’t know if any recoloring happened along with the change). So, Gaaki should have silver armor, and Bomonga could either be silver or gunmetal. There is no canon reference to Kualus’ or Pouks’ armor colors since they do not have metallic spinners, but I would recommend one of the two scenarios:
3 Gold, 3 Silver
2 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Gunmetal

2 Likes

I agree that those sound like the most logical color combination.

I’d prefer if it was 2 gold 2 silver and 2 gunmetal, and this is why:

If there were three gold characters, that would mean that either Gaaki or Kualus would be guaranteed to have gold armor. If Gaaki had gold armor, she’d loo k like a toa of psionics, and if Kualus had gold armor, he’d look like a toa of light.

2 Likes

I agree with that wholeheartedly. Of course gunmetal masks aren’t something that actually existed and I myself have not found any fantastic gunmetal 3D printed parts… but I am also inexperienced with 3D printed parts.
If not gunmetal, then the combo colors of silver and gold could also be used to avert that issue.

1 Like

Takanuva 08 and Hewkii Inika had gunmetal masks.

1 Like

You’re right.
Takanuva’s mask is the Avohkii. For canon reasons its IMPOSSIBLE for them to have the mask modeled after the Avohkii because noone had worn it yet, and the Inika mask is organic and also very large on a metru body.
I should’ve said usable gunmetal masks for this contest.

Another possibility is that, while those two options above would be ideal, they could also be slightly uneven.
Iruini: Gold
Norik: Silver
Gaaki: Silver (rhotuka; cannot be gold because it would cause confusion with Toa of Psionics)
Kualus: Silver (cannot be gold because it would cause confusion with Toa of Light)
Pouks: Gunmetal (matches Hewkii Inika, another Toa of Stone; flat gold might not work well with brown)
Bomonga: Gunmetal (rhotuka; could theoretically also be silver, but 3 Toa Hagah are already silver)

The Toa Inika are also rather uneven, with 2 silver (Matoro and Kongu), 2 gunmetal (Hewkii and Hahli), 1 gold (Jaller), and one neither (Nuparu). Nothing says the Inika had to have metallic armor unlike the Hagah, but my point still stands.
As people have mentioned, Lego has other metallic colors that could be used, but my mindset towards these contests is primarily on the MOCing aspect, and how easily the winning entries can be recreated. If it turns out the Hagah will not have a MOC contest, only art, then any metallic color could be used.

3 Likes

But now he’s getting confused with a regular Toa of Ice.

How so? Nuju didn’t have silver (or any metallic color), and Kopaka Phantoka had gunmetal. Not sure why he can’t still look like a regular Toa of Ice that just has metallic armor, which is all he is.

2 Likes

This is just a demonstration model, but I also thought that gold on metru brown would be weird but the longer I looked at it the more it grew on me

2 Likes

My only point of contention is the use of sand brown, when Rahaga Pouks didn’t have any, but perhaps someone could made flat gold work with Metru brown.

2 Likes

The rahaga sets also had grey limbs and neither of the toa used grey limbs. They also had orange in their torsos that was not present in the Toa. Im very much open to creativity in the secondary colors as long as the primary color of the metru is correct. If not then this contest is just going to be even MORE of a clone mob

As an addeneum to the unity art contest suggestion, Here’s a suggestion to balance out the moc and art contests:

Artists cannot change the mask shape from the moc (so moccists still determine the mask shape, in addition to the overall build), but they can recolour the mettalic armour – and ONLY the metallic armour (so artists determine the mettalic colour distribution, and balance can be achieved).