BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

no me

2 Likes

"ā€¦But you know the old saying: ā€˜A secret shared is no longer a secret.ā€™"

ā”€ā”€ The Shadowed One, Destiny War

7 Likes

I will?

2 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™m seeing quite a few one-eyed Marendar designs. I did the same with mine.

The cyclops vibe certainly helps give him (or ā€˜itā€™) a sense of having a singular purpose and focus.

24 Likes

I really have to rework my marendar. Completely.

1 Like

I kind of imagine marendar as similar to the sentinels from days of future past or even a terminator

1 Like

he probably should be somewhere in between because of what greg said, yeah

yeah, thatā€™s a really good Marendar. Good luck!

oh and the cyclops dude next to him is also neat, I guess

9 Likes

What was Marendars first priority after killing all of the toa? Strip one of them of his armor and limbs and take a nice picture with them next to a pile of corpses for the Agori and Great Beigns to admire the job done well. :+1:

edit: I think he/it holds the camera man at a gun point.

2 Likes

Not the look Iā€™d personally go for, but very well done nonetheless.

2 Likes

This is a rip-off of @Gilahuā€™s Inika guy who makes occasional murderous appearances. Marendar strips Toa for parts and uses them as murderbots confirmed

6 Likes

Since ā€œMarendarā€ I believe means ā€œSalvationā€ in Agori, one could argue that instead of a murder robot it looks more like an angel of death - beautiful, yet deadly.

ā€¦though that all just reminds me again that I want to decide myself how Marendar looks and not be dictated by these contestsā€¦

11 Likes

darn it youā€™re right

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to see someone take this angle. Though knowing the Great Beings, they tried to make something that represented ā€˜salvationā€™ but ended up making something that crosses the uncanny valley and just creeps everyone out.

6 Likes

Doni97 seems to agree

Iā€™d imagine Marendar has a personality. It is propably very no nonsence personality. Search toa, kill toa, repeat till heat death of the universe. Pretty similar to Hydraxon and Umbra. Umbra especially had very one note personality despite beign sentient/sapient*. He had developed/programmed with honor code of sorts.

Marendar has zero life experience. If he gets quiet moments, he is most likely very uncustomed toā€¦ everything from friendships to handshakes.

*never remember which word is the correct one. :wink:

5 Likes

Wow there really are a lot of one-eyed Marendars out there. Iā€™m curious if this was the result of one MOCistā€™s influence, or if the idea of a genderless (or at least animalistic) creature with a sole motivator just lent itself to that design.

My personal vision of the Marendar is that it either canā€™t talk or doesnā€™t. It has somewhat of a dual personality: it will try to avoid harming non-Toa, but it will charge through things (buildings, trees, etc.) in order to get to its target. Itā€™s precise and effective with its ranged weapons, but when it gets into close combat, it turns from a silent assassin into a raging bull.

Before I found a Greg quote that probably makes this not possible, I had the idea that Kabruaā€™s device prevents the Marendar from tracking Toa, because it renders Toa power dormant (as if the Toa were a destined Matoran). The Marendar can only track Toa who are actively using their Toa power. If someone used the Nui Stone (wink wink), that would send off a massive signal for the Marendar to lock onto.

3 Likes

Very hard if not impossible to say. All contestants would have to tell where their inspiration came from. Did you @Hazash got inspiration from other mocs?

These two are the oldest Marendar examples I found.

Certainly a darth vader-esque when on the battle field.

I think Marendar is unable to harm agori. He maybe able to disarm Agori and Glatorian if they stand between him and the toa. But he must keep damage to them at minimum. He can beat beigns of MU to inch from death but not kill them. Toa he can kill.

I think Marendar could talk, and when he does it will be only once and say something epic.

I wrote a fanfic where toa managed to capture Marendar after a epic battle against united toa+Glatorian army. He admitted he had seen that toa were not threat to the agori. He had seen one to risk their life save agori from an avalanche. He sees this but canā€™t fight the programming or is honor bound to carry out his mission.

2 Likes

It mightā€™ve started with the Hero Factory fan model that won one of the Bionicle contests.

I think a lot of fans have thought that if not for Bionicleā€™s cancellation, this mightā€™ve been used for Marendar.

7 Likes

Should we include this as part of the competition as honorary entry?